Lake Monsters and Sea Serpents

Obviously I’m not talking about literal dragons. I’m postulating that dragon myths come from dinosaurs. “Dinosaur” is a relatively new word. Ancient people would not have called them that.
Those examples I listed are from disparate cultures that describe very similar animals that fit the description of known dinosaurs.

They are not similar at all. Behemoth is a non-descript large creature that could be describing literally anything. The descriptions of Mokele-mbembe and Yarru are all over the place and pretty modern myths at that. These aren't even ancient people we are talking about. The Congo and Aboriginal stories have sprung up relatively recently.

If I tell an urban legend passed down from my grandfather about a lake monster, that doesn't imply it existed or that it is a dinosaur. There are people telling fictional stories all over the world.

I don’t follow? These stories are part of their culture.

There is no difference between this and ghosts, leprechauns, fairies, etc. Lol just because a culture has stories doesnt mean they are real.

There is no difference between this and ghosts, leprechauns, fairies, etc. Lol just because a culture has stories doesnt mean they are real.
You’re missing my point or perhaps I’m not making it clear. These cultures, spread far and wide, have stories and descriptions of very similar creatures. Why do you think that might be?

They are not similar at all. Behemoth is a non-descript large creature that could be describing literally anything. The descriptions of Mokele-mbembe and Yarru are all over the place and pretty modern myths at that. These aren't even ancient people we are talking about. The Congo and Aboriginal stories have sprung up relatively recently.

If I tell an urban legend passed down from my grandfather about a lake monster, that doesn't imply it existed or that it is a dinosaur. There are people telling fictional stories all over the world.
We disagree about Behemoth (and Leviathan). The descriptions do not fit well with animals thought to have existed with modern man. Even secular scholars agree with that.

You’re missing my point or perhaps I’m not making it clear. These cultures, spread far and wide, have stories and descriptions of very similar creatures. Why do you think that might be?

The examples you came up with aren't even similar. You're asking why cultures all over the world have stories of seeing large, non-descript creatures? Because no shit Sherlock. Because me and you and every other kid fantasized about that shit when we were 8, including all the other people all over the world.

The examples you came up with aren't even similar. You're asking why cultures all over the world have stories of seeing large, non-descript creatures? Because no shit Sherlock. Because me and you and every other kid fantasized about that shit when we were 8, including all the other people all over the world.
They are similar in that they all describe what could be dinosaurs. They wouldn’t be exactly the same, of course (though they are more similar than you are suggesting), because they are likely describing different animals.
Of course we fantasized about dragons. Because, at some point, we were introduced to them. They didn’t spring forth from individual imaginations. My question is where did the near cultural universal idea of dragons come from? I’m suggesting it came from dinosaurs that our ancestors saw and about which they told stories which eventually became “dragons.”

Dinosaur bones are the reason for many dragon and mythical creature references, myths and stories. Not all but many.

They are similar in that they all describe what could be dinosaurs.

If you limit dinosaur to "large creature". Sure, you could say that. That's stupid though. No, they are not similar. You're reaching hard.

Of course we fantasized about dragons. Because, at some point, we were introduced to them. They didn’t spring forth from individual imaginations. My question is where did the near cultural universal idea of dragons come from? I’m suggesting it came from dinosaurs that our ancestors saw and about which they told stories which eventually became “dragons.”

You can't be this ignorant. The idea of dragons has been around for thousands of years. You're bringing up modern myths.

If you limit dinosaur to "large creature". Sure, you could say that. That's stupid though. No, they are not similar. You're reaching hard.

You can't be this ignorant. The idea of dragons has been around for thousands of years. You're bringing up modern myths.
You are absolutely missing my point. I’m not going to try to explain it to you again.
Where do you think the idea of dragons came from?

Dinosaur bones are the reason for many dragon and mythical creature references, myths and stories. Not all but many.
Or there were actual dragons at some point, since many cultures have tails of them.

Gobli teki has good artwork of dinosaurs. Either it was built much longer ago than we thought or some Dino’s were around much later.

If often wondered if dragons were a small population of phteredactols.

And yes it’s late and I know I misspelled the shit out of that.

Of course we fantasized about dragons. Because, at some point, we were introduced to them. They didn’t spring forth from individual imaginations

The assumption that an imagination can't produce something without being introduced to it is completely incorrect. The human imagination has imagined COUNTLESS creatures it's never encountered. And you're also ignoring the very simple possibility that someone saw a lizard and a bird and thought "hey you know what would be neat....".

The suggestion that humans couldn't write of these creatures without encountering some version of them is just patently incorrect, and easily disproved by 90% of science-fiction from the last 40 years.

The assumption that an imagination can't produce something without being introduced to it is completely incorrect. The human imagination has imagined COUNTLESS creatures it's never encountered. And you're also ignoring the very simple possibility that someone saw a lizard and a bird and thought "hey you know what would be neat....".

The suggestion that humans couldn't write of these creatures without encountering some version of them is just patently incorrect, and easily disproved by 90% of science-fiction from the last 40 years.
But imaginations from all over the world producing the same fictional creature? Seems doubtful. Why is it so hard to believe that these myths MIGHT be rooted in truth?

For centuries people all over the world have been seeing strange serpent like creatures swimming in lakes and rivers. I don't think these people are lying and it's part of the reason why I refuse to go swimming in lakes.

Nan%2BCee%2BDee%2BPhoto%2Bpanoramio.com_photo_13085310%2B2.JPG

It's fake, bro. In the Plats forum a bunch of guys planned out a series nearly identical hoaxes.

Watch the show River Monsters. There's a lot of cool things under the water, certainly more interesting than blurry distorted images of geese

giant-piranha-1.jpg

flesh-eating-river-monster-does-goonch-catfish-eat-humans.jpeg

never has a show so captivated yet infuriated me as much as river monsters. his smooth hypnotic 432mghz voice lulls me into watching him catch a non monster every frickin time.

You are absolutely missing my point. I’m not going to try to explain it to you again.
Where do you think the idea of dragons came from?
The aliens that walked off the spaceship. You seriously believe in dragons? That's crazy. It's aliens.

Back