Lance Armstrong-- how does he do it

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
How Lance Armstrong escaped a $100 million lawsuit
Lance Armstrong once took great pride in his ability to avoid getting caught for all the sins that could bring him down.

He kept getting away with it, always "winning" in the end.

And now he's arguably done so again, this time against the federal government.

After battling lawsuits for years, the former cyclist agreed on Thursday to end the case that threatened his fortune the most – a $100 million civil fraud action filed against him by the U.S. Justice Department.

To make it go away, he accepted an offer to pay a $6.65 million settlement.

But that’s not even the biggest settlement he’s paid since his doping confession in 2013. It’s also not clear his payment to the government will cover its cost in pursuing this case over the past five years.

“It seems to be the American way to profit off your crime as Armstrong did here,” said Betsy Andreu, a longtime critic of Armstrong and wife of Armstrong’s former teammate, Frankie Andreu. “However, the world knows he's a remorseless pathological liar whose entire career is tainted.

"He admitted his guilt by throwing in the towel and paying millions to the plaintiffs. There's justice in that he has a lifetime ban from sanctioned competition. That's a good thing for clean athletes and advocates of clean sport.”

Armstrong, 46, was scheduled to go to trial May 7 in Washington, D.C. A jury there would have decided his fate and could have put him on the hook for $100 million in damages. Instead, he avoided trial by agreeing to pay off less than 7% of his potential risk.

The settlement breaks down like this:

– $1.65 million will go toward the legal expenses of Floyd Landis, Armstrong’s legal enemy and former teammate.

– $5 million will go to the federal government, which was trying to recoup $32.3 million paid by the U.S. Postal Service to sponsor Armstrong’s cycling team from 2000 to 2004.

– Of that $5 million recovery for the government, Landis will get a cut of $1.1 million as the whistleblower who brought the case to the government’s attention.

That means the government’s net recovery is $3.9 million after pursuing this case since 2013 with countless efforts, including staff hours for the Justice Department, searches for evidence, court arguments, depositions and trial preparation.

Over five years, that’s $780,000 per year for the government’s work.

Yet it could have been much worse for the government, even if it appears that Armstrong evaded yet another reckoning, much like all those drug tests that failed to catch him during his cycling career.

Risk calculation
The Justice Department could have gone to trial for several weeks and got nothing – a prospect that looked more likely after a key ruling by the judge in 2016.

The risk of defeat then crept closer as jury selection loomed on May 1.

“One might surmise that the government may have had doubts about the strength of its damages case,” said Tony Anikeeff, an attorney who was not involved in the case but specializes in similar government contracts cases for the firm Williams Mullen.

A Justice Department spokesman said he didn’t have an estimate on what it cost to pursue the case. A message seeking additional comment from the Justice Department wasn’t returned Friday.

In a statement Thursday, Justice Department attorney Chad Readler said “no one is above the law,” and “this settlement demonstrates that those who cheat the government will be held accountable.”

The government filed the case in 2013, shortly after Armstrong confessed to doping in a televised interview with talk-show host Oprah Winfrey. It accused Armstrong of unjust enrichment and said Armstrong’s cycling team violated its sponsorship contract with the Postal Service by using performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions to cheat in races. Under the False Claims Act, the Postal Service’s damages could have been tripled to $100 million.

Armstrong, who was banned for cycling for life in 2012, denied doping for more than a decade before his confession. Other civil fraud lawsuits against him since then have been dismissed or paid by Armstrong to go away, including a settlement of around $10 million for SCA Promotions, a Dallas company that had covered his bonus money for winning the Tour de France.

MORE: Did Landis get the last laugh against Armstrong?

COMING CLEAN: How the Oprah confession has weighed on Armstrong

Elliot Peters, Armstrong’s attorney, noted that Armstrong settled for a fraction of the risk he faced after "several significant court rulings rejecting and limiting the plaintiffs’ damages theories.”

He had previous offers to settle this case for larger amounts but wasn’t willing to pay it, believing the government’s case was weak and that a jury wouldn’t buy the notion that the Postal Service suffered damages and should be paid back.

His attorneys also had assembled evidence and experts to show the Postal Service greatly benefited from the sponsorship, including internal evidence from the Postal Service. The Postal Service even had commissioned reports that showed it received approximately $103 million in earned media value from the sponsorship from 2001 to 2004, court records show.

Then came a ruling in 2016 by Judge Christopher Cooper that disallowed an easier way for the government to make Armstrong pay.

Escape artist?
The government previously had put considerable effort into the argument that the cycling team was obligated to return the sponsorship money because it breached its sponsorship contract. But in March 2016, Cooper shut down this argument and said this notion of “reverse false claims” didn’t fit the case.

The government "contends – again – that long-established principles of contract and restitution law obligated (the cycling team) to repay any funds attributable to a breach of the Sponsorship Agreement,” Cooper wrote. “The Court rejected this view after considerable briefing.”

That essentially left the government challenged to show how the Postal Service was damaged by Armstrong’s conduct through negative publicity associated with the doping revelations. Cooper noted last year the government had an expert who indicated that there were some 1.5 billion negative media impressions connecting Armstrong’s doping scandal to the Postal Service between 2010 and 2014.

A big question was how to put a dollar figure on such negative evidence and measure it against all of Armstrong's positive evidence of the sponsorship's benefits. If a jury found Armstrong liable, Cooper ruled last year “it will then be up to the jury to weigh the evidence on both sides of the scale and decide whether the government can prove it sustained actual damages and, if so, the corresponding amount.”

The Justice Department knew it could have been zero. Armstrong also knew juries are impossible to predict, and that he could have been rung up for a much bigger number.

Another $6.65 million to end it all seemed like a deal. Last month, he put his Austin home up for sale at $7.5 million. He also had built up wealth from his racing days and could be in the market for a book deal.

In January, he indicated to USA TODAY Sports that his legal expenses over the years totaled more than $100 million, though he didn’t specify how he arrived at that number. He also paid for lawyers to help defend him in a criminal fraud investigation that the government dropped without filing a case against him in 2012.

Armstrong recently has been hosting a popular podcast with celebrities and owns an endurance events company called WeDu.

“I am glad to resolve this case and move forward with my life,” Armstrong said in a statement.

He gets a year to pay off the settlement in installments, according to the terms of the deal.
Substance worthy of a Mel Brooks farce. One more log on the pile stoking my fiery cynicism about the potential for anti-doping to ever provide a level playing field, or to achieve meaningful justice retroactively when it fails. It just makes everything worse-- less even.

@therealdope. Come on, man. I've been waiting for you to make this thread. You haven't said a word. Let Sherdog be your shoulder.

NQjgc89.gif

@therealdope. Come on, man. I've been waiting for you to make this thread. You haven't said a word. Let Sherdog be your shoulder.

NQjgc89.gif

Meh - everyone already should no what a shit bag Pharmstrong is/was. His stages podcast is one big circle jerk to make it look like he was just trying to keep up and that USPS' drug program was the safest.

There are two myths that I would like dispel. Myths that the "avg Joe" believes and dopers like to spread.

1. Everyone at the top is doped.

2. If there was no doping the doped guys at the top would still be the best.

Meh - everyone already should no what a shit bag Pharmstrong is/was. His stages podcast is one big circle jerk to make it look like he was just trying to keep up and that USPS' drug program was the safest.
Yes, but I recall you seeming to have a high level of confidence that Armstrong would face criminal trial and potential prison time. Instead he gets off for five cents on the dollar: like he was negotiating a freaking IRS back-tax debt settlement.
There are two myths that I would like dispel. Myths that the "avg Joe" believes and dopers like to spread.

1. Everyone at the top is doped.
Certainly! That would be much closer to ideal! That's precisely the problem, here, and with anti-doping in general. If over half of the top finishers (or in the case I recall your own charts indicating roughly ~70% in the Top 15 for one Tour De Frances) are doping, then those folks are closer to the truth than those who would say, "Nobody at the top is doped". It's tough to care about a competition's integrity or value when you know that the majority of the top finishers are dirty, but only a majority.

Why? Because at least if everyone was doped you'd genuinely know who is best, or at least who is best under that condition. This way...we can't ever be certain we have any clue.
2. If there was no doping the doped guys at the top would still be the best.
Tough to call that a "myth" when it's probably true in many cases. I think you have to add an "always" to that, somewhere, for it to cogently be argued a myth. Otherwise you're being as lazy and imprecise as those who would say, "Everyone at the top is doped".

Yes, but I recall you seeming to have a high level of confidence that Armstrong would face criminal trial and potential prison time. Instead he gets off for five cents on the dollar: like he was negotiating a freaking IRS back-tax debt settlement.

That was until Clinton/Kerry phoned in the favor to Andre Birotte to close the FDA's case.

https://blogs.wsj.com/law/2013/01/27/why-did-federal-prosecutors-drop-their-lance-armstrong-case/

And guess who is now a federal judge!!

Certainly! That would be much closer to ideal! That's precisely the problem, here, and with anti-doping in general. If over half of the top finishers (or in the case I recall your own charts indicating roughly ~70% in the Top 15 for one Tour De Frances) are doping, then those folks are closer to the truth than those who would say, "Nobody at the top is doped". It's tough to care about a competition's integrity or value when you know that the majority of the top finishers are dirty, but only a majority.

Right and the doped guys are not that much faster, which is astounding when you consider that oxygen vector doping is a massive benefit.

Guys like Moncoutie and Bassons were finishing in the top 10 clean. that's what pissed off guys like Pharmstrong because when he was on a generic doping program he did no better than 36th while Moncoutie got 5th clean. That bugged him more than anything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/special_events/sports_personality_2002/2546793.stm

Paula Radcliffe's crowning as BBC Sports Personality of the Year is a fitting finale to what has been a staggering year.

Paula Radcliffe

In the space of 12 months, Radcliffe transformed herself from also-ran to how-did-she-run-that?

Her achievements barely seem believable.

Radcliffe became new marathon world record holder, European 10,000m champion, Commonwealth 5,000m champion, winner of the London Marathon at her first attempt, world cross country champion - the list goes on.

That was until Clinton/Kerry phoned in the favor to Andre Birotte to close the FDA's case.

https://blogs.wsj.com/law/2013/01/27/why-did-federal-prosecutors-drop-their-lance-armstrong-case/

And guess who is now a federal judge!!
It isn't important to me how it happened; just that it happened-- yet again.

First, we aren't even catching many of the dopers, and second, so many of the dopers we catch ultimately evade any real justice. "The winners make the rules", and all that. I've seen it too many times to trust in any judicial system to competently police our sports.

I hope we can figure out the Blood Passport thing, but when you see headlines like this week's, you wonder, "Would it even matter?"

Just look at what happened with the filthy Russians leading up to the Olympics.

It isn't important to me how it happened; just that it happened-- yet again.

First, we aren't even catching many of the dopers, and second, so many of the dopers we catch ultimately evade any real justice. "The winners make the rules", and all that. I've seen it too many times to trust in any judicial system to competently police our sports.

I hope we can figure out the Blood Passport thing, but when you see headlines like this week's, you wonder, "Would it even matter?"

Just look at what happened with the filthy Russians leading up to the Olympics.

I recently spoke to a Canadian U23 national team rider and he said that doping controls must be having an effect because on their trips to Europe they are competitive in races. In the 90s they wouldn't have been able to even hang onto the back without being on EPO/TST/HGH.

From my understanding, doping hasn't been eliminated but it's been reduced to where dopers are limited to micro-dosing. The 10year freeze also means that they can't just study the banned list and use stuff in development.

You can clearly see the effect of doping controls in running. Look at the all-time 10,000m bests and then look at the dates that they were run. There is a single time in the top 20 that was run in the last 12 years and only in the top 45 in the last 7 years.

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_10kok.htm

the fastest times in the 10,000m run in the last 2 yrs are quite a bit slower than the fastest times of the mid-90s (22 yrs ago!!).

So unless you believe that runners are getting much slower then doping controls are having an effect.

I still believe that the doping/cheating behind the rise of British sports is going to be the biggest scandal to hit. Was the Russian cheating scandal of Sochi audacious and unfathomable? Sure.

But look at this and tell me something is going on:

1996 Atlanta:

Medals
Ranked 36th
Gold
Silver Bronze Total
1 8 6 15

2016 Rio:

Medals
Ranked 2nd
Gold
Silver Bronze Total
27 23 17 67

Cough, cough.

I still believe that the doping/cheating behind the rise of British sports is going to be the biggest scandal to hit. Was the Russian cheating scandal of Sochi audacious and unfathomable? Sure.

But look at this and tell me something is going on:

1996 Atlanta:

Medals
Ranked 36th
Gold
Silver Bronze Total
1 8 6 15

2016 Rio:

Medals
Ranked 2nd
Gold
Silver Bronze Total
27 23 17 67

Cough, cough.
Oh, don't you worry, I've noticed.

People want the biggest, strongest, fastest athletes that science can produce. They care not about doping

Lance gets way too much shit.

"Our roided up guy beat your roided up guy" is the most accurate statement that pertains to the Armstrong doping debacle. Everyone who competed was on the shit and Lance still steam rolled them all, and I don't even give a shit about cycling.

Goatstrong wins again. Well done you shifty bastard.

Lance gets way too much shit.

"Our roided up guy beat your roided up guy" is the most accurate statement that pertains to the Armstrong doping debacle. Everyone who competed was on the shit and Lance still steam rolled them all, and I don't even give a shit about cycling.

THis^^^^ is the know nothing guy I'm talking about.

THis^^^^ is the know nothing guy I'm talking about.

Nobody listens to your copy-and-paste rhetoric. The only thing you've ever gotten right is your username.

Last edited:
you came into a thread saying you don't know anything about the sport you dumb fucking cunt. Thanks for nothing.

I came into this thread saying I don't give a shit about the sport.

You're a real dope, you know.

Back