Lasha Talakhadze - 264kg C&J @ Georgian Nationals

Alex5124

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The current Snatch (220kg) and Total (477kg) +105kg World Record holder clean and jerked 264kg over the weekend at Georgian Nationals. This lift unofficially tops the current +105kg C&J record by 1kg.

Cannot wait to see him at the 2018 World Championships. With both Iranians out he figures to have little in the way of competition and I expect him to make a run at the C&J WR.

For those wondering he is roughly 6’6”/365. An absolute monster.

That is absolutely insane, holy shit!

That is absolutely insane, holy shit!
He’s throwing the equivalent of ~6, 45 pound plates on each side over his head. It’s hard to wrap your head around that type of strength. And to boot, he’s got extremely long arms and a very narrow grip on his jerk.

He’s throwing the equivalent of ~6, 45 pound plates on each side over his head. It’s hard to wrap your head around that type of strength. And to boot, he’s got extremely long arms and a very narrow grip on his jerk.
It's a little baffling to watch really. I know he's very big, but I still don't get how he does it. He doesn't look insanely muscular for his size either and he has long limbs as you say. Must be the perfect storm of size, motor control, technique and physiology. It's amazing.

That is huge news. Lasha is the greatest snatcher of all time but was never really close to an historic number in the clean and jerk. Well, only a handful of people have ever done 264 or more now. Lasha could do something that wont be surpassed for a very, very long time.

That is huge news. Lasha is the greatest snatcher of all time but was never really close to an historic number in the clean and jerk. Well, only a handful of people have ever done 264 or more now. Lasha could do something that wont be surpassed for a very, very long time.
Yep, I believe the only lifters who have successfully C&J’d 264kg or more are Kurlovich, Pisarenko, Taranenko, and Lovchev. Really sucks that Lovchev got banned. He’s the only real guy around right now that could theoretically push Lasha.

It's a little baffling to watch really. I know he's very big, but I still don't get how he does it. He doesn't look insanely muscular for his size either and he has long limbs as you say. Must be the perfect storm of size, motor control, technique and physiology. It's amazing.
This is one of the most interesting aspects of Olympic WL at the elite level for me. There are so many different factors that go into lifting these seemingly unfathomable weights. Technique, strength, speed, mobility, body proportions, training system, drugs, etc.

I mean, who the hell would think that the guy on the left was one of the best weightlifters of the modern era?
upload_2018-9-24_15-49-31.jpeg

Insane. Huge admirations for this man.

That was smooth as butter. He could probably do 600lbs

Yep, I believe the only lifters who have successfully C&J’d 264kg or more are Kurlovich, Pisarenko, Taranenko, and Lovchev. Really sucks that Lovchev got banned. He’s the only real guy around right now that could theoretically push Lasha.

It's exciting that the new records could actually be the true records for the first time in a long time. My old weightlifting coach, a former soviet lifter, told me that he saw Alexeev clean 270 and rack jerk 280. Since then I've thought that the world records were being artificially held back. We may have had people who were capable of putting 600 overhead for decades now, but conditions just haven't allowed for, or necessitated it.

How much did he snatch at the nationals?

How much did he snatch at the nationals?
214. It’s unclear whether it was his 2nd or 3rd attempt. I wouldn’t doubt he went a little lighter (LOL) in the snatch portion knowing he was going to give the 264 a go.

214. It’s unclear whether it was his 2nd or 3rd attempt. I wouldn’t doubt he went a little lighter (LOL) in the snatch portion knowing he was going to give the 264 a go.

Considering that (if I understand correctly) he broke both the c&j world record, and the total world record in a very measured way, it does kind of seems like it. If this guy were to really go for broke at some point he'd be capable of just crushing his own records and become the goat, soviet era included.

Considering that (if I understand correctly) he broke both the c&j world record, and the total world record in a very measured way, it does kind of seems like it. If this guy were to really go for broke at some point he'd be capable of just crushing his own records and become the goat, soviet era included.
Rumor is that he’s snatched 230 off blocks in training. And if you’ve seen his 220 snatch from 2017 Worlds, it definitely seems like he has more in the tank.

As crazy as it sounds, I don’t think it’s inconceivable that he could potentially post a 500 total if he stays healthy and passes the drug tests.

In case anyone's missed it (I just heard about it myself), Behdad Salimi apparently retired after the Asian Games a month ago. So that takes Lasha's biggest rival out of the running, permanently.

The current Snatch (220kg) and Total (477kg) +105kg World Record holder clean and jerked 264kg over the weekend at Georgian Nationals. This lift unofficially tops the current +105kg C&J record by 1kg.

Cannot wait to see him at the 2018 World Championships. With both Iranians out he figures to have little in the way of competition and I expect him to make a run at the C&J WR.

For those wondering he is roughly 6’6”/365. An absolute monster.

Have you seen Larry Wheels max on shoulder press? now that is impressive.

Talakhadze just won the world championship.
Threatened by absolutely no-one.
A total of 474 kg.
24 kg down to the silver medalist Gor Minasian.
I think Talakhadze is great and all, but I don't see the 109+ class being very competitive for the next 5-10 years. Young guys like Davoudi will never reach Lasha's level, and 29-year old Lovchev will be an unknown (and rigorously tested) commodity when he comes back from his ban- IF he comes back.

Talakhadze just won the world championship.
Threatened by absolutely no-one.
A total of 474 kg.
24 kg down to the silver medalist Gor Minasian.
I think Talakhadze is great and all, but I don't see the 109+ class being very competitive for the next 5-10 years. Young guys like Davoudi will never reach Lasha's level, and 29-year old Lovchev will be an unknown (and rigorously tested) commodity when he comes back from his ban- IF he comes back.

Watched it, and Lasha is so dominant that it was boring.

I think he looked stronger than ever and could have hit 221/264 if he wanted to. Every lift looked so easy. And you could tell he wanted to go heavier on his last C&J but his coach wanted 257.

Back