Last great fight between two great fighters?

stuff jones

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This weekend's disappointment got me thinking, what's the last classic fight people are going to be telling people to watch on youtube in 20 years time? Pac-Marquez 4?

FWIW, Pac-Marquez I & II were fucking great, too.

Top-tiddly-top tier bouts are normally fought with a bit too much caution to make them truly great, I think; too much money & too much risk to just go in there throwing everything but the kitchen sink.

The truly great fights tend to happen just a notch below the public visibility level of the top-most tier, because boxing's stupid fuckin' business model means most guys either only take appropriate risks that produce such fights when they're from a non-star background (from the Developing World or whatever) & are not yet really known on the "star stage" or if they've got past that stage then politics will mean the true "superfight" will occur when they're physically slightly past their best & can no longer produce a performance on the level of an all-time war (GGG vs Canelo, say). See also: MAB vs Morales I (utter war), compared to MAB vs Morales II (high-stakes technique duel for a shitload more money & with loads more notice taken in the media etc).

Though you can obviously get complete & utter barnburners when one or both are supposed to be on the slide but still have that star status & they just think "Fuck it, I'm gonna go for it" (MAB vs Morales III).

This weekend's disappointment got me thinking, what's the last classic fight people are going to be telling people to watch on youtube in 20 years time? Pac-Marquez 4?
that would be my pick. I don't follow the sport like I used to but that was a helluva fight, almost had the quality of a last stand for both men even though both kept fighting. Pac should have fought like that against mayweather, maybe nobody would have complained.

Dunno if we should go all the way back a to 2012. It's way too early to call Joshua "great", but the Wlad fight will be a classic. HW fights get an easier legend pass.

Canelo - GGG was an excellent fight, but it lacked drama.

With the blood, guts, switches of dynamics and upset, Gonzalez - Sor Rungvisai 1 may be this kind of fights that hardcore fans recommend to casuals. Especially if Sor Rungvisai gets other great wins.

Dunno if we should go all the way back a to 2012. It's way too early to call Joshua "great", but the Wlad fight will be a classic. HW fights get an easier legend pass.

Canelo - GGG was an excellent fight, but it lacked drama.

With the blood, guts, switches of dynamics and upset, Gonzalez - Sor Rungvisai 1 may be this kind of fights that hardcore fans recommend to casuals. Especially if Sor Rungvisai gets other great wins.
i didn't see the last fight you mention but the other two weren't that exciting to me. everyone else raved about them but i just thought it was because they aren't used to seeing anything resembling a fight.

i didn't see the last fight you mention but the other two weren't that exciting to me. everyone else raved about them but i just thought it was because they aren't used to seeing anything resembling a fight.

I guess it all goes down to what you'd call a fight. I calll them fights, and I'm a big fan of previous decades. To me boxing bouts do not have to involve the use of a stretcher or facial surgery to be called exciting. I enjoy Canelo as I enjoyed Saad Muhammad, but this is some personal opinion.

Last edited:
I guess it all goes down to what you'd call a fight. I calll them fights, and I'm a big fan of previous decades. To me boxing bouts do not have to involve the use of a stretcher of facial surgery to be called exciting. I enjoy Canelo as I enjoyed Saad Muhammad, but this is some personal opinion.
i grew up watching fights that no one even remembers that had more action than just about any fight today. I think it's actually a sin to charge the public for some of these fights.

i grew up watching fights that no one even remembers that had more action than just about any fight today. I think it's actually a sin to charge the public for some of these fights.

I get it and I'll drink to that.

i just skimmed over the loma ringo fight, not much of a fight from what i saw.

I was about to say pacquiao vs marquez 4; what an awesome fight and great end to a long time rivalry.

It even won fight of the year and ko of the year, that was the most burtal of the fights and the very first time marquez knocked down pacman. Marquez was a hulk with crazy power in that fight, also pacquiao when you hurt him instead of playing safe it pisses him off more and he goes right back into the fire like thats the only way to get him angry now is to drop him, both pacman and jmm were going to kill each other in that fight, marquez and pacman are real warriors none of them were going to quit ready to die that night it was about pride and honor.

IDK how to define "great" but if we're talking two elite fighters (both P4P or close to it), I'd point to LSC-Frampton, Ward-Kovalev, SSR-Chocolatito, and Canelo-GGG among others.

I think affectionados will be watching the Ward Kovalev brace with interest for many, many years

I think affectionados will be watching the Ward Kovalev brace with interest for many, many years

I've re-watched Ward-Kovalev 1 a lot more than Canelo-GGG. Theres more wrinkles to that fight IMO, its much more interesting if not as action packed.

What was wrong with Canelo/Golovkin? I enjoyed that fight.

yeah i think canelo GGG was an awesome fight between two great fighters.

the only problem with it is that adalaide byrd fucked it up, which kind of shifted the attention from the fight to the judging. but if we disregard the scorecard shenanigans, it was one of the best fights in recent history.

What was wrong with Canelo/Golovkin? I enjoyed that fight.

I don't think either guy lived up to their skill. Canelo ran more than he counterpunched, GGG didn't really commit and was too cautious of getting counterpunched. Too much respect shown on both sides. Wasn't a bad fight,...just very unsatisfying. The result didn't help.

Pacquiao's wars with Marquez, Morales, and Barrera were classics, butt my personal favorite..

Back