latest rumors on WBSS: 140 and 118, Inoue possibly in

Rigo is smaller than a lot of BWs (a guy like Nery, definitely), so I could see it if he's in dire need of money.
I think Rigo's basically marked for life at this point. Kalle has worked with Caribbe before (they promote dorticos) so it's definitely a possibility, cause there's no way Rigo's going back on HBO. I think if Rigo shows up in shape and not shot, he should be the favorite to win the tournament.

Uzcategui would stop Smith (or Groves or Eubank Jr.). Wouldn't mind seeing him step in, but I'm more interested to see him against Benavidez or Ramirez (Benavidez/Uzcategui could be a classic).
I'm not sure Uzcategui stops Smith or Groves (I think he'd stop Eubank Jr, who is about as basic as it gets), but I'd definitely favor him over both.

That said, Benavidez and Ramirez owuld make for good fights too.

I think Rigo's basically marked for life at this point. Kalle has worked with Caribbe before (they promote dorticos) so it's definitely a possibility, cause there's no way Rigo's going back on HBO. I think if Rigo shows up in shape and not shot, he should be the favorite to win the tournament.

Those are big ifs. Rigondeaux is ancient for a sub 130 pounder and, by most accounts, hasn't taken boxing seriously in nearly half a decade (and hasn't had a top win in more than half a decade). If he could turn back the clock, though, he probably would be the favourite, but I'm skeptical.

Those are big ifs. Rigondeaux is ancient for a sub 130 pounder and, by most accounts, hasn't taken boxing seriously in nearly half a decade (and hasn't had a top win in more than half a decade). If he could turn back the clock, though, he probably would be the favourite, but I'm skeptical.
yeah, we'll have to see. He's only a rumor anyhow, and we all know how Rigo graduated from the Winky Wright school of boxing business top in his class.

I'm still interested to see him in there with guys like Tete, Burnett, Rodriguez, who all look like really promising fighters.

Also, bad news, sounds like Jose Ramirez is pretty much confirmed to not be in the 140 lbs tournament.

Three divisions. It'll be LHW.

also have two other BWs they signed and just haven't announced yet. Sounds like Inoue is near certain.

Last edited:

Can't read the tweet for some reason, but I assume this is about him not being able to make the weight in time. Rigo must have spent most of that Lomachenko money on Cubanos as @RR has mentioned in the past.

Can't read the tweet for some reason, but I assume this is about him not being able to make the weight in time. Rigo must have spent most of that Lomachenko money on Cubanos as @RR has mentioned in the past.
Basically

says: "Guillermo Rigondeaux was invited to join the bantamweight World Boxing Super Series tournament, but turned it down as a doctor advised him not to cut that much weight. [According to @ElNuevoHerald]"

I think Prograis will win 140. The Inoue/McDonnell thing is a bit weird because McDonnell says he is going to 122 after this fight. So I guess Inoue would still be in the tournament even if he lost?

Would be good if each year they had a lower weight and a higher weight (say above and below MW) and had fight from each weight on each card.

I would guess that most casual observers will prioritize the heavier weights, so a good way to introduce them to how enjoyable good lower weigh fights can be.

Would be good if each year they had a lower weight and a higher weight (say above and below MW) and had fight from each weight on each card.

I would guess that most casual observers will prioritize the heavier weights, so a good way to introduce them to how enjoyable good lower weigh fights can be.
Kalle said that's what they're going to do.

MW and up, then below MW. He hinted season 3 is actually the MWs.

Way to totally ruin the tournament.

Who gives a shit about watching Junior again. Not me.
ehh, it's whatever. The SMW tournament was always less interesting. I'm glad we got some good fights out of it. Wish Groves was in there to derail Smith's hypetrain though

They need a better concept to deal with injuries - at least Junior should have had to face Brehmer for a place in the final. This stinks.

Oscar Negrete and Prince Patel are the latest rumors at BW. Also hearing Reymart Gaballo.

Apparently HW is hte rumored third division now (hope to god not), but I doubt it, since Kalle said it was gonna be either LHW or CW

Last edited:
got the feeling Mark John Yap will be in this tournament. He's the highest ranked IBF contender, and the WBSS has to keep hte IBF mandatory (which Yap could end up being) in the tournament lest the title get stripped.

allright boys, confirmed for WBSS 140:

Regis Prograis
Ivan Baranchyk
Anthony Yigit
Kiryl Relikh
Eduard Troyanovsky
Ryan Martin
Throw in Flanagan/Hooker winner and Ramirez and that tournament will end in 1 unified champ with 4 belts

Back