Opinion Lawrence Lessig on JRE. The only problem we should be talking about

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I'm a huge fan of Lawrence Lessig. If people knew who he was, he might have been president in 2016.

Nothing in this country can be fixed until we fix this issue.

To paraphrase Lessig.

"We keep talking about what we are going to do when we get to Atlantic City. Go gambling, dancing, get something to eat, see a show. Meanwhile the car we need to get to Atlantic City has no engine, and 4 flat tires".

Money in politics is a greater threat to this nation than communism, fascism, Climate change, the rise of the machines, HC costs, our deficit, ect.

You can't begin to address any of these issues until we do something about money in politics.

Discuss.......

Lessig at 16 minutes talking about a anti-corruption bill, that of all people Nancy Pelosi is sponsoring. Sounded promising. No one has heard of it outside of the beltway. Thanks media.

Everybody wants to bitch but nobody wants to commit to a plan. Could be because they either like the money or like the influence they think theirs can buy.

I'd pass an Amendment that created a site for citizens to create voter accounts and political positions would be job offers posted. Folks could apply and all campaigning would be done there. News would cover what they cover. Still have elections at physical polling stations or ballots through the mail, but paid advertising would be illegal. I'd also have nationally funded wifi to help facilitate participation in the early selection process.

Everybody wants to bitch but nobody wants to commit to a plan. Could be because they either like the money or like the influence they think theirs can buy.

I'd pass an Amendment that created a site for citizens to create voter accounts and political positions would be job offers posted. Folks could apply and all campaigning would be done there. News would cover what they cover. Still have elections at physical polling stations or ballots through the mail, but paid advertising would be illegal. I'd also have nationally funded wifi to help facilitate participation in the early selection process.

I think the voucher system is the least restricting.

We all get vouchers to fund politicians we like. 50, 100 dollar vouchers. They are the only campaign funding allowed.

Lawrence might mess around and find himself in an unfortunate accident talking like that.

I think the voucher system is the least restricting.

We all get vouchers to fund politicians we like. 50, 100 dollar vouchers. They are the only campaign funding allowed.

What for? Why even create the extra shit to keep track of?

What for? Why even create the extra shit to keep track of?
You want to fund elections.

We have a handful of billionaires that own 99% of the media. If we just get rid of campaign funding, we give all the power to the media coverage.

Think of it as a power vacuum.

I think it is at about 35 minutes, Lessig explains how lobbyists are the gate holders to the donor class.

You want to fund elections.

We have a handful of billionaires that own 99% of the media. If we just get rid of campaign funding, we give all the power to the media coverage.

Of course. But not the advertising component.

Media would report on the candidates that rise through the citizen voting site. You afraid they'll be even more bias than covering just the two parties they cover now?

I'm a huge fan of Lawrence Lessig. If people knew who he was, he might have been president in 2016.

To paraphrase Lessig.

"We keep talking about what we are going to do when we get to Atlantic City. Go gambling, dancing, get something to eat, see a show. Meanwhile the car we need to get to Atlantic City has no engine, and 4 flat tires".

Money in politics is a greater threat to this nation than communism, fascism, Climate change, the rise of the machines, HC costs, our deficit, ect.

You can't begin to address any of these issues until we do something about money in politics.

Discuss.......

Agree with him. Bernie said this all along too and for all of us progressives it is THE only issue. If you fix this issue you get our democracy back.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the kind of stuff both parties should be coming together on

This is what Bernie ran on and what the "justice democrats" aka progressives ran on.

Might as well change his name to Lawrence Kennedy.

Something struck me the other day........I think it was a bullet!! Ayooooo!!!
ImmaterialRadiantAuklet-size_restricted.gif

the divide and conquer and bread and circuses work way too well for things to change in America

probably 20 years away from the kind of complete system overhaul we need, and that might be optimistic

people actually think the presidential election is real for gods sake

Dogs and demons. The govt is good at finding problems . They suck at actually fixing them. So it ends up being a scratch my back for me and I'll throw dome pork your way. The US budget is full of pork. Just wasteful . We could probably eliminate deficit spending tomorrow, but we won't

To paraphrase Lessig.

Discuss.......

Oh, horseshit. Money has always been in politics. Always.

I agree that it's at catastrophic levels of corruption, but the rich being rich is a tale as old as time. Climate change will fucking end us.

Oh, horseshit. Money has always been in politics. Always.

I agree that it's at catastrophic levels of corruption, but the rich being rich is a tale as old as time. Climate change will fucking end us.

You can't fix climate change until you fix money first. That is what makes it more dangerous then any single issue. It has the weight of every issue we face.

Terrorism - Saudi lobby
Climate change - big energy
HC spending - pharma and insurance

Name the issue, and I will name you who is stopping anything from being done about it, using the tool of money to corrupt.

Back