Lead hook technique

Smato_rules

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I’ve been striking on and off for about ten years, just casual Muay Thai class and I’m probably the equivalent of a hobbiest blue belt in bjj. I’ve always thrown my lead hook with my thumb to the ceiling and really hooking towards the end, like how Nate Diaz does when shadow boxing. Lately my wrist has been killing me, I think I keep hitting with my fingers not knuckles, but now really can’t seem to throw a hook without pain. I’ve switched to a palm toward the ground hook but can’t get the same snap out of it. Does anyone have any advice of how to correct this or a good place to see how to properly throw a hook?

Study Poatan's, it's damn near perfect.

200w.gif

Timestamped

A good boxer to emulate would be Julian Jackson.

JslGmn5.gif

You don't want to hook much at the end, that's got to be why your wrists are hurting. Stay straight throughout from the elbow down for support.

Throw it from your feet > legs > hips > back (like you see in the above, for torque generation), NEVER your shoulders/arms.

Study Poatan's, it's damn near perfect.

200w.gif

Timestamped

A good boxer to emulate would be Julian Jackson.

JslGmn5.gif

You don't want to hook much at the end, that's got to be why your wrists are hurting. Stay straight throughout from the elbow down for support.

Throw it from your feet > legs > hips > back (like you see in the above, for torque generation), NEVER your shoulders/arms.

Thanks! Those gifs are really helpful and yeah now that you say it I think I am jamming my wrist trying to hook it at the end

Yeah keep your wrist in line with your forearm and elbow. Probably trying to reach too far with a long hook and hurting your wrists.
Try shorter hooks with the palm facing you for now.

I do like palm down hooks for when a person constantly changes levels and ducks though

Yeah keep your wrist in line with your forearm and elbow. Probably trying to reach too far with a long hook and hurting your wrists.
Try shorter hooks with the palm facing you for now.

I do like palm down hooks for when a person constantly changes levels and ducks though
Thanks man, I’ll try and keep that in mind. So far implementing what I’ve been told has made a bit of difference for sure. The whipping I was doing at the end of the punch seems to have been jamming my wrist

Try an inbetweener, where the knuckle is not completely pointing towards you, and not completely the celing, but kind of towards your face rather. This allows you longer range with much less risk of hitting with the fingers and bending your wrist backwards. Wrist is in a better position when hitting, basically.

Try an inbetweener, where the knuckle is not completely pointing towards you, and not completely the celing, but kind of towards your face rather. This allows you longer range with much less risk of hitting with the fingers and bending your wrist backwards. Wrist is in a better position when hitting, basically.
Ok I’m definitely gonna try this, thanks!
Thumb up 👍, curl your wrist towards you
It’s weird I feel like I am but even my coach after I asked him noticed I don’t. So I definitely gotta cue that in my head until it becomes habit

Before anything, there's a really great (and extensive) discussion about this. 17 threads/posts combined. Here!

There's been tons of videos as well on exactly this topic. Covering which one is better, which one is easier on the body etc..etc..

For me personally, I've naturally thrown my hooks with thumbs/palms facing me. I decided to learn throwing with the thumbs facing down a couple years back and felt the same way. Felt weak, awkward and unnatural. I kept at it until I eventually could throw it with the same force as thumbs facing me. As for the "Snap" that usually comes with the palms facing you, or at least I could never get the "snap" with thumbs down hooks.

For the pain, I think @biscuitsbrah hit the nail on the head. You might be reaching out way to far with your hooks. Keep everything tight and short. For the palm down hooks if you do decide to practice it, ease into it and add more and more power when you start getting comfortable. Be patient with it and just gradually add more power and speed once you nail it down.

This is a great video on it.

Edit: Just like to add that actively reminding yourself to try and hit with your first two knuckles when throwing palm down hooks and keeping everything straight from your fist to the elbow and focusing on pivoting and all that good stuff usually helps as you're most likely executing it with good form. But take all this with a grain of salt, it's all anecdotal on my end.

Back