Leaf blower: gas or electric powered?

therealdope

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Sherbros: I need to get a leaf blower. I just assumed it would be gas powered but there are a lot of electric options now. I would like some model suggestions from those of you who own leaf blowers.

I'm looking at an EGO 56V. I have an EGO hedge trimmer and it is very good.

Appreciate Sherbro advice.

I'd never buy an electric garden tool but then I got a big front yard.

Dragging an extension cord all over a property just to blow some grass/leaves. No fucking thanks.

Get a gas blower. Echo or sthil make great products.

I do wonder how often people accidentally cut those electric chainsaw cords in half.

Let me clarify, by electric I mean battery powered. No way am I getting a corded lawn device. We had an electric corded lawn mower when I was a kid and it was complete and utter ass.

If you haven't seen the newer 56V battery powered stuff, it's pretty impressive.

Most electric equipment doesn't use a cord. They have a 40v or 56v battery that slots right in.

If your hedge trimmer is compatible with the learn blower go for that.

I recently picked up a leaf blower and grass trimmer that was compatible with another Ryobi tool I had

If you already have the EGO trimmer you might as well add an EGO blower so you can use the same batteries.

I bought a 40v Harbor Freight pole saw that works better and longer than I figured it would. I bought a string trimmer and a leaf blower to match so I have 3 batteries. It's easy to carry and use them right on my mower.

I have a Stihl gas powered chainsaw, a Stihl gas powered trimmer and a Yard Man leaf blower. It's always a pain to get them started when they haven't been used in a while. I have to buy the Stihl gas because the alcohol gas will screw them up. I have to empty the tank and run them to get the gas out of the carburetor after each use. The primer bulbs and fuel lines have to be replaced every 2 or 3 years. Gas tools are great if you use them all day almost every day but if you only use them occasionally for short periods they can be a pain. The gas these days has a very short shelf life.

Stihl makes battery tools but I haven't tried them. I think they are 36 volt but Stihl doesn't seem to want to mention the voltage on their website.

If you already have the EGO trimmer you might as well add an EGO blower so you can use the same batteries.

I bought a 40v Harbor Freight pole saw that works better and longer than I figured it would. I bought a string trimmer and a leaf blower to match so I have 3 batteries. It's easy to carry and use them right on my mower.

I have a Stihl gas powered chainsaw, a Stihl gas powered trimmer and a Yard Man leaf blower. It's always a pain to get them started when they haven't been used in a while. I have to buy the Stihl gas because the alcohol gas will screw them up. I have to empty the tank and run them to get the gas out of the carburetor after each use. The primer bulbs and fuel lines have to be replaced every 2 or 3 years. Gas tools are great if you use them all day almost every day but if you only use them occasionally for short periods they can be a pain. The gas these days has a very short shelf life.

Stihl makes battery tools but I haven't tried them. I think they are 36 volt but Stihl doesn't seem to want to mention the voltage on their website.
Dude, just buy premium gas. It shouldn’t have ethanol in it. 91 octane or higher.
All those little motors and lawn mower motors should use premium.

Dude, just buy premium gas. It shouldn’t have ethanol in it. 91 octane or higher.
All those little motors and lawn mower motors should use premium.

I have to drive 10 miles to get gas without alcohol in it. I do for my lawnmower. Then it still has to be mixed for the Stihl equipment and I probably don't use more than a quart in a year so I buy the Stihl gas in the quart metal bottle. That doesn't seem to go bad.

I have a gas chain saw but this battery trimmer is really low hassle and the 56V cuts through the privat like a hot knife through butter. I just chucked the 18V B&D in the garbage - LOL. The idea of a corded chain saw just seems like a recipe for an accident or 100% guaranteed frustration.

I think you're right. I'm just going to get the EGO 56V blower and possibly grass trimmer as well. Same logic you are using.

I have a Husqvarna blower I purchased in 2005. Still works perfect, starts easy.

I haven't used it, but if you use alcohol free gasoline, 2 cycle engines will last much longer.

I bought a refurbished Husqvarna 150B backpack blower off eBay and its the best thing since sliced bread to me

I bought a refurbished Husqvarna 150B backpack blower off eBay and its the best thing since sliced bread to me

My property is big but not huge. I think I'll stop just short of going full commando with the back pack unit :/

images

I went electric with my hedge trimmer and weed whacker, and it's pretty great. He'll even electric mowers are getting good reviews these days. No gas to worry about and the ewuipment is much lighter.

Back