Learning to be a good padholder?

just curious...has anyone here had their support leg swept out from under them while kicking pads like in the Tiger Muay Thai MMA video?

I have had my supporting leg kicked out when I was holding pads, never striking

just curious...has anyone here had their support leg swept out from under them while kicking pads like in the Tiger Muay Thai MMA video?

Yes, True Bee (Charn Chai in Pai) caught me twice with something similar to that (he actually caught my checking leg and twisted me around).

I always try to move back a bit as I hold pads so that my partner gets practice coming forward with their attacks instead of being stationary. I don’t move after every punch, but I try to make sure they are coming forward. I usually don’t have people complain about this but I recently held for a partner who didn’t like this practice at all. There was a significant height difference with him being much shorter than I am, but I don’t know if this is the reason we had trouble. I’d like to get some other opinions so I can figure out if this is a problem I need to fix with my pad holding.

Any advice? I've held pads for some pretty good pro fighters with some decent merits and they say i hold pads pretty well. As for now though, i mostly work combinations, and make them block kicks and counter etc. I wanna learn how to catch kicks/punches more instinctively though. Is there any way to do it or will it come with time?

And is there any other qualitiies that you find a good padholder should have? My technique of catching kicks/punches is good, but i feel i miss that something extra. Oviously i'm pretty new but i learn quick and i wanna become great, so feel free to give me some advice.

just keep holding pads for good guys and avoid holding pads for noobs. Getting good at holding pads is similar in getting good at MT, it just takes time, repetition, and practice.

To really "freestyle" on the pads like thais, you cant just be a good pad holder. You need to have been regularly holding pads for the guy hitting them for years, so you both know eachother very well.

Back