Left hook to the body + right low kick

MirkoCroCop

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, the combination I'm working on is a left hook to the liver and a right low kick. However, I have a very difficult time getting it done. I end up in a very awkward position. Either the left hook is too long (much less power) or I'm way too close for the low kick. Do you guys have any tips or videos of someone using this technique?

I try to left hook in a medium range and step out as much as I can before the low kick. I keep losing balance. Does this technique really work in fights?

So what's a good counter/defense against this?

When you feel a left hook, instead of backing up you step forward and immediately throw the cross.

Great video there. Hoost was a monster.

Hi guys, the combination I'm working on is a left hook to the liver and a right low kick. However, I have a very difficult time getting it done. I end up in a very awkward position. Either the left hook is too long (much less power) or I'm way too close for the low kick. Do you guys have any tips or videos of someone using this technique?

I try to left hook in a medium range and step out as much as I can before the low kick. I keep losing balance. Does this technique really work in fights?

Here ya go!

A short elbow when they throw left body hook or grab the back of their head from the outside and knee them when they dip.

So what's a good counter/defense against this?

Some good ones were already given, but if at all possible avoid the left hook.

I personally hate blocking left hooks. Once you do, there are so many potential openings. Your opponent is in range and position to throw another left hook/upper to the body, left uppercut to the head, right hand, right kick or even straight left. He can also push on your gloves and pivot out, there are just so many options. Not saying not to block left hooks, just that it's one of those situations I don't particularly enjoy.

let's not forget the handiwork of another striking god -- jose aldo

He hits the exact same technique at 1:50, 2:00, 4:55, and 5:02.

When doing the liver punch + right low-kick combo, do you guys have the urge to put your right arm on his right shoulder?

I feel like, because the liver punch has already closed the distance a bit, it's better to have this extra layer of protection, rather than swinging the hand down to get extra momentum.

Last edited:
When doing the liver punch + right low-kick combo, do you guys have the urge to put your right arm on his right shoulder?

I feel like, because the liver punch has already closed the distance a bit, it's better to have this extra layer of protection, rather than swinging the hand down to get extra momentum.

Same

Back