Legal actions against your display of BJJ

Hey guys,

My situation is fine lol, I told my coach these events when I was rolling last night and my coach told me a story about how when he was a purple belt he was bouncing at a bar for a part time job, one night some guys started getting into it outside the bar and the bouncers had to separate the two guys fighting. In the midst of the chaos one of the drunk guys pulled out a knife and threatened to use it. My coach reacted and disarmed the guy and took him to the ground and held him down, however during the disarming and the takedown my coach drove the guy down onto the knife. The guy took my coach to court and for a long time the judge was convinced my coach knew what he was executing and the falling stabbing was intentional because of his "training". My coach fought it for 18 months and finally was cleared of all charges brought against him. I understand where some of you are coming from telling me, get the cops first, don't use physical actions, etc... If any of you were in the same situation (mine, not my coach) you would have done the same.
- calm down the situation
-offer the man a ride home (call him a cab)
-make sure he gets into it (guiding him, not forcibly pushing him out)
-he gets in your face and takes a swing
-trip, KOB, and while he's down there yelling/gasping/threatening when he gets up shit is gonna go down
-go to sleep
-ego checked, and some ribs got banged up but no serious injuries happened

As soon as that guy was out, I easily could have put him in the hospital for life threatening injuries or worse and lost my shit right then and there and 0, but in controlled actions I deescalated the situation with instinctive training techniques.

Back to my OP, tell me about any stories YOU GUYS have lol

Thanks.

Last edited:
How is this not a clear case of self defense?
It might be, but anyone can sue anyone for anything.

I don't know what will happen obviously, but it's not always this simple. People can get fucked legally all the time doing things that are appropriate levels of self defense.

Back to my OP, tell me about any stories YOU GUYS have lol

My only extracurricular use of martial arts was when I was traveling for work in Nicaragua. I was at the airport in Managua and a ten year old kid picked my pocket. I applied a standing waki gatame to pin him down and get my wallet back. Some military police saw the back end of the encounter and came over to investigate. I lied to them and said nothing had happened, because I didn't think the kid should get thrown into a dark hole for the rest of his life for being poor and desperate. (This was ~20 years ago and the federal police were pretty brutal. I think civil liberties are better respected now.)

If you were in the US he could probably win a case against you. Shit bags break into peoples houses to steal from them and get hurt the process and successfully sue the owners here the land of the free.

<{hughesimpress}>

If you were in the US he could probably win a case against you. Shit bags break into peoples houses to steal from them and get hurt the process and successfully sue the owners here the land of the free.

<{hughesimpress}>
In one of my law classes I heard about a guy in the US who broke into a family's house while they were on vacation, got locked in the garage for 9 days or something like that. He ate dog food and drank a flat of pepsi to survive and when they returned home he sued them for the trauma he endured...He won too

In one of my law classes I heard about a guy in the US who broke into a family's house while they were on vacation, got locked in the garage for 9 days or something like that. He ate dog food and drank a flat of pepsi to survive and when they returned home he sued them for the trauma he endured...He won too

Your professor needs to check his facts, then. There are plenty of insane lawsuits in the US, but that one never happened.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

Your professor needs to check his facts, then. There are plenty of insane lawsuits in the US, but that one never happened.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp
Man gets stuck in garage after burglary, sues family:

https://besteverawards.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/most-ridiculous-lawsuits-ever-ever/

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania, who was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn’t re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count ‘em, EIGHT, days on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner’s insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish.

Was just curious what trip you used? My takedowns suck.

Just message the Donald on twitter and tell him what's going on. He'll probably bail you out.

ER visit and police report = U r fucked!

Always call 911 first, but u should already know that now.

It's not like the movies or UFC!

U can't commit potentially life threatening assault on people who know the law and have the means to hire competent representation!

Just pray an ambitious DA doesn't get wind of U.

Good luck!

BS

OP, in the event that this douche bag brings charges, make sure you lawyer up PRIOR to giving a statement to the cops. An attorney can help 'guide' your statement so you don't accidentally say the wrong thing.

How do they know you train and not that you accidentally broke his ribs while trying to hold him down? Or that you have no idea why he passed out while you were trying to hold him down with his jacket? You didn't take him down, you tried to tackle him to the grown so he would stop punching you. Just play dumb.

How do they know you train and not that you accidentally broke his ribs while trying to hold him down? Or that you have no idea why he passed out while you were trying to hold him down with his jacket? You didn't take him down, you tried to tackle him to the grown so he would stop punching you. Just play dumb.

I need to clarify from my OP that I did NOT crack some ribs, but dislocated. My wife updated me on that piece of information after it was confirmed from the guy at work.

My understanding that when Martial Artists get into incidents like these is that if the lawyers they're going up against do any type of research they would find posts and pictures of tournament accomplishments, or training videos/pictures on any social media platform. Be pretty hard to play dumb if they looked up my facebook page and saw my last few tournament places on the podium. My only defense would be, "Look judge, I only placed 3rd so I have some idea but clearly if I got gold this guy wouldn't even be here today." lol anyways it really is fine, the situation is fine. My wife tells me this guy pulled a quick 180 and has apologized to everyone at work, feels terrible for how he acted and is just happy I didn't do anything worse to him because he realizes how useless he was in a situation like that. Who knows maybe this guy humbles himself and joins a gym and starts training. That's what I'm about, gathering new students by destroying their ego in a public environment.

How the heck can you see a story debunked by Snopes and then come up with besteverawards.wordpress.bullshit.com to refute it?

What the actual fuck is wrong with people nowadays?

How the heck can you see a story debunked by Snopes and then come up with besteverawards.wordpress.bullshit.com to refute it?

What the actual fuck is wrong with people nowadays?

All the crazy shit that happens in the world, the shootings, the sexual assault, the crime and the overall disgusting displays of hate that exist all around us and my repost of a legal case that may or may not have happen or did happen and got grossly exaggerated is what makes you ask what the actual fuck is wrong with people...good to know.

All the crazy shit that happens in the world, the shootings, the sexual assault, the crime and the overall disgusting displays of hate that exist all around us and my repost of a legal case that may or may not have happen or did happen and got grossly exaggerated is what makes you ask what the actual fuck is wrong with people...good to know.

Yes, the willful ignorance of documented facts, or the lack thereof, makes me wonder what the actual fuck is wrong with people. When people pick and choose their ”facts” like they were shopping, the fabric of society itself crumbles. You didn’t spend one second educating yourself when you were presented the opportunity. Instead you went right to Joe’s blog of totally realz stuff to repost undocumented bullshit. That makes me equal amounts mad, sad and disillusioned. You owe it to society to do better. Have a nice weekend.

Back