Legal Employment Discrimination by Race

SomebodyElse

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
The WR meme thread brought these to my attention.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/11/briti...e-men-from-its-recruitment-workshops-6992490/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/695312/BBC-seeking-researcher-Panorama-only-apply-ethnic-minority

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36443113

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/marni-soupcoff/cbc-caucasian-ad-job-posting_b_3185940.html

These ads in the UK and Canada have outright stated they don't want to hire any "white" candidates, though one does distinguish simply no white males.

This has, of course, resulted in immediate lawsuits.

Keep in mind, should the defendant's actually successfully avoid penalty, you have just set legal precedent for discrimination by race and by gender. I am not familiar with UK or CAN law, is this already allowed there?

This is one hell of an effective recruitment poster for the other extreme. What do you think white people with kids are going to think about this?

The slow extinction of the Caucasian is a sad pathetic thing to witness. But your replacements will make fine use of all you leave behind.

It's one thing to try and recruit more ethnic minorities and women into the police but totally another to refuse someone else entry based on skin colour. We have anti discrimination laws in UK and they apply to all races. Never heard of anything like this before and I expect in court it would be deemed as illegal.

They need to be more subtle about the implementation of the ideology.

Use 'diversity points' or something, where a white person counts as zero (or white male = 0 and white female = 0.5).

i think if a private company wants to hire all white, black, asian, male, female -- they should be able to do so as much as they want.

government should not be able to discriminate based on race or gender. But quotas should not be implemented to reflect diversity.

It could be argued that its specifically legal under the constitution of Canada.

From the Constitution:
Affirmative action programs
(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Banning whites may not qualify as AA for everyone else however.

BalooAffirmativeActionTranslatedintoSimpleEnglish-e1501686422785.jpg

Reverse discrimination and minority quotas. This has been going on for years now...

This is one hell of an effective recruitment poster for the other extreme. What do you think white people with kids are going to think about this?
This nonsense is why a guy like Trump got elected in America. It's why Trumps are going to get elected around Europe in the near future.

Look at Europe fracturing. Europe leaving the EU. Catalonia voting independence. $ to the donuts that all the 'tradition' excuses are bullshit and this is the kind of stuff causing it. This stuff always leads to extreme nationalism. How did Hitler get to power? The native Germans being fucked over legally by "outsiders".

And you god damned Europeans are doing it all over again.

At least, that's how I see it as an American. And it sucks, because I know what you assholes have done in the past and what you're going to do in the future.

In America, we "Trumped" it in the bud. In Europe, you're going to wait until you're so far gone that you're electing goddamn Hitler, again.

Pretty disgusting practice to discriminate on the basis of anything but competency.

It's an interesting problem. Normally I would say that it's discriminatory, particularly since it's a government job. But after years on here, I keep reading posts from people who would support the following "Casting for James Bond - should be Caucasian." and I don't know if they draw a distinction between tv shows and media trying to meet a requirement and generic racial discrimination?

Ah well, until the mystery is resolved I'll continue to say that it's discrimination and shouldn't be supported...and that a black James Bond is completely normal too. ;)

It's an interesting problem. Normally I would say that it's discriminatory, particularly since it's a government job. But after years on here, I keep reading posts from people who would support the following "Casting for James Bond - should be Caucasian." and I don't know if they draw a distinction between tv shows and media trying to meet a requirement and generic racial discrimination?

Ah well, until the mystery is resolved I'll continue to say that it's discrimination and shouldn't be supported...and that a black James Bond is completely normal too. ;)
Hiring should be based on competency and, sometimes, race causes competency. In being James Bond, being white helps you look like James Bond.

I don't think that being white or black makes you a better financial analyst or police officer or college student though.

Hiring should be based on competency and, sometimes, race causes competency. In being James Bond, being white helps you look like James Bond.

I don't think that being white or black makes you a better financial analyst or police officer or college student though.
^ ^ ^ This said I don't want anyone but Samuel L Jackson playing Nick Fury in the future

You might be mistaken if the racial background provides insights that cannot be gleaned from any other source.

I won't rehash the entire James Bond point, other than the obvious point that it's a fictional character and as such his appearance is completely subject to change by whomever owns the current rights to the character (MGM, I think) and is writing the story. It's tangential to my larger point though.

I'm getting treated like shit in my office right now.. Because I'm the only person my boss is allowed to be an asshole boss to. Literally.

I would have loved Idris Elba as Bond, because of his ability as an actor, talent knows no ethnicity.

It's in a very, very liberal city.

Have you noticed on TV that the gay guy is ALWAYS cool? No exceptions? Even saw it on wwe last week. Literally cannot be rude to a gay person, they are always cool.

It needs to stop.

It's in a very, very liberal city.

Have you noticed on TV that the gay guy is ALWAYS cool? No exceptions? Even saw it on wwe last week. Literally cannot be rude to a gay person, they are always cool.

It needs to stop.

Not on Modern Family, isn't the gay couple like awkward and weird? Maybe it's a Canadian thing? Gay people on U.S. tv tend to run the gamut from cool to socially inept.

Not on Modern Family, isn't the gay couple like awkward and weird? Maybe it's a Canadian thing? Gay people on U.S. tv tend to run the gamut from cool to socially inept.
Naw man.. The gay guy is ALWAYS "in." Look closely.

Back