Legit Question - Do Chinese and Indian cultures have different ideas on "personal space"?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I live in America and grew up in America and we are very serious (sometimes too much so) about our "personal space". I find that in many large social settings (airports, stores, resturuants, etc.) many people have no clue about personal space or lines and stuff like that. It tends to be people from India and China.

For example waiting to get my luggage from the airport there are very clear lines and lanes. I had staked out my little space and was maybe a foot or 2 back to leave space if someone needed to swoop in and grab their luggage. A group of Indian families come literally right in front of me with 2 luggage carts and about a dozen people. They kept moving over and over and I stood there to see what would happen. One of them was literally touching my arm standing right next to me.

So my question is......are people like that rude? selfish? Clueless? Ignorant? A cultural thing? all of the above?

Note this isn't a race or cultural bashing thread. I'm legit interested to know if other cultures have different standards in this regard. Are Americans too uptight and insecure about their space? Are overpopulated countries more relaxed on personal space?

Yes.

indian-chaotic-traffic.png

large_4963587827.jpg

shanty.jpg

I'm sure every culture as a different idea about personal space...

I find they typically do.
My friends who have been these countries noticed it there as well.

from personal experience, yes absolutely. They always get wayyyy to close when Im helping them with issues with computers. I have had to say something on multiple occasions. Whats worse is they always have the worst breath as well.

from personal experience, yes absolutely. They always get wayyyy to close when Im helping them with issues with computers. I have had to say something on multiple occasions. Whats worse is they always have the worst breath as well.

I thought maybe it was just me. But for sure they aren't afraid to get up close and personal. Even packing more people in an elevator or on a train car during rush hour. I mean we here pack our train cars pretty full. But some people won't get on if it's too crowded and will choose to wait for the next open train. I've seen some cultures pretty much on top of each other and think nothing of it and not be uncomfortable in the least by it.

For sure, and Indians are the absolute worst about personal space...and driving...

Of course. Think about how densely populated their countries are.

I remember when I was first in college many years back, I sat at a table in the cafeteria by myself and ate lunch. As I was eating my meal an Asian kid set at my table even though I didn't know him. For most Americans this seems weird, people have to spread out even if it means one person at every table. I didn't mind at all though.

that luggage scenario irks the fuck out of me

i don't even give a foot space between myself and the conveyor because if you do, you're basically inviting all the impatient ingrates who don't understand that they can go around or wait for it to come to them.

chinese people do not care about you or if you're in their way. they will get to where they are going.

I was just in vegas as well and the number one thing that pisses me off more than anything is when people just stop in front of you when walking. Chinese families were doing this everywhere I went. It wasnt just them but they seemed to be the main culprit. I cant stand when people dont have respect for other peoples space. Like when uber drivers think they can just stop and throw on hazards in the middle of a busy street cause they need to drop someone off.

Just wait for those who were born in the 70's and below to die.

Yes their culture is different. Standing in line is not always done, often you just crowd around and push your way to the front.

And they are comfortable being very close or even touching you.

I was in line at Disneyland and this Chinese guy kept standing so close behind me that every time I moved an inch I would bump him. So I strategically put my hands on my hips so my elbows were pointing out, and every time he stepped too close he got an elbow in the sternum.

Took about 3 times before he learned to stand back. Welcome to murrica!

I worked with a guy from Pakistan at my last job and I would avoid asking him things due to his need to physically respond to everything. He would get out of his desk, come over to mine and put his hand in it right next to my hand on my mouse, and lean over me looking at my screen while his nasty breath blew all over everything. I fucking hated it. They also don't mind coughing on you and all your stuff.

And there are many Americans that have zero concept of personal space and it infuriates me. I tell people to back up off me at the store. Or I ask them questions like "Do you mind if I finish paying for my groceries before you stand in front of the card reader?" I want to assault so many people for so many things on a daily basis. People are just fucking terrible in general.

So my question is......are people like that rude? selfish? Clueless? Ignorant? A cultural thing? all of the above?
The answer is anytime you ask that question of others it's really yourself you should be asking about. Am I the rude, selfish, clueless, ignorant one? Whose culture should be duly considered? All of them.

Except butthurt STAR WARS fans. They're shit-mongering animals.

Back