Legit Question - Do Chinese and Indian cultures have different ideas on "personal space"?

Asian people tend to not be as aware navigating streets etc in Western countries. From what i gather they all try to get out of each other's way so while it looks like chaos they never really collide, similar to their roads. In Western countries we're all trying to get past each other basically, less courteous.

Yes. Their cities tend to be way more crowded, so they don’t have as large a bubble as we do. And by bubble, I mean the space around you where, when someone enters it, you begin to feel uncomfortable. Also, they have less awareness of other people’s bubbles, so they’ll just fuck your bubble right up. True story, this old (like in her 70s) Asian lady shoved me out of the way to get on the bus first. I couldn’t do anything but laugh.

I live in Canada and can confirm that they do not know what that is. My Indian colleagues are way too touchy for my liking.

Was backing out of a mall parking spot and an Indian guy honked at me so I got out of my car and stared him down. He went and looked for a new parking spot.

That is the only time I got close to an Indian guy.

There was another thread about what you would do with Jeff Bezoz level money. My response in part mentioned funding systematic genocide. Guess which two countries I would focus on first and foremost...

I seriously want to fill the grocery store with uppercuts when people crowd me checking out...I've had times when I'm putting my stuff towards the front of the belt then working my way back with the rest, and some jackass behind me has already put their stuff on and I have to move it back just so I can finish putting my stuff on...or I'm paying and they're already on top of me with their cart...

<codychoke>
Dude my blood would be boiling. I don't understand why people have to be that way.

How about the fucktards that stop in front of an aisle entrance or in the middle of the aisle? Or assholes who somehow think it's perfectly fine to block and aisle or any other path, because they've run into someone they know and want to stand there and chit chat? I'm constantly mumbling crazy shit at these people or saying things like hey you're blocking people from moving through the store. Always some horseshit "oh oh I'm sorry I didn't realize..." Whatever moron go eat a dick

Last edited:
Of course. Think about how densely populated their countries are.

I remember when I was first in college many years back, I sat at a table in the cafeteria by myself and ate lunch. As I was eating my meal an Asian kid set at my table even though I didn't know him. For most Americans this seems weird, people have to spread out even if it means one person at every table. I didn't mind at all though.

awwww you made a friend

I work in NYC and will confirm this as 100% true. The Chinese have no manners. They don’t see lines, or personal space, or realize social cues. Indians do have more manners just have issues with personal space and are close talkers. Both have horrendous breath, due to their diets. But Indians are also body funky. My last company had so many new employees that were Indian all other cultures were quitting because of the smells. It got so bad they had to have Indian trainers come in with gift bags of deodorant, body wash, and mints. Also banned all food at desks, and created a microwave area for ethnic food.

Yes. Their cities tend to be way more crowded, so they don’t have as large a bubble as we do. And by bubble, I mean the space around you where, when someone enters it, you begin to feel uncomfortable. Also, they have less awareness of other people’s bubbles, so they’ll just fuck your bubble right up. True story, this old (like in her 70s) Asian lady shoved me out of the way to get on the bus first. I couldn’t do anything but laugh.

I would have fingered her til she get weak in the knee to show her who's boss. But what do I know? According to replies itt, I'm from a shithole and rude.

But to contribute to the thread:
It's true that, in general, Asian don't have problems crossing personal space as compared to you guys. It's more of a cultural thing than being rude. Kids sees their parents doing that when growing up and believe it's an okay thing to do, so they do it too.

But as @loyalyolayal mentioned, wait til the older generations to cease to exist. It's NOT because we are better than our parents/grandparents. It's mainly because the younger generations are generally more educated and exposed to different cultures than their own so they learn to be less crude.

I live in America and grew up in America and we are very serious (sometimes too much so) about our "personal space". I find that in many large social settings (airports, stores, resturuants, etc.) many people have no clue about personal space or lines and stuff like that. It tends to be people from India and China.

For example waiting to get my luggage from the airport there are very clear lines and lanes. I had staked out my little space and was maybe a foot or 2 back to leave space if someone needed to swoop in and grab their luggage. A group of Indian families come literally right in front of me with 2 luggage carts and about a dozen people. They kept moving over and over and I stood there to see what would happen. One of them was literally touching my arm standing right next to me.

So my question is......are people like that rude? selfish? Clueless? Ignorant? A cultural thing? all of the above?

Note this isn't a race or cultural bashing thread. I'm legit interested to know if other cultures have different standards in this regard. Are Americans too uptight and insecure about their space? Are overpopulated countries more relaxed on personal space?

Yup.

They live in extremely densely populated countries whee personal space isn't a thing. But yes, I have the same thought every time I'm at the gym and it's basically empty (I go late at night), and straight from India, Indian males will work out a foot away from me while the entire space is there for the taking. They will then proceed to act clueless when I give them the wtf look. Like c'mon pal.

Asian people tend to not be as aware navigating streets etc in Western countries. From what i gather they all try to get out of each other's way so while it looks like chaos they never really collide, similar to their roads. In Western countries we're all trying to get past each other basically, less courteous.

The awareness thing is exactly correct. Every day while walking to work, I’ll see at least one young Asian man walking into someone on the sidewalk because he was just oblivious to what was happening around him. I’ve seen this one Asian guy riding his bike on the sidewalk run into people on two different occasions. They were both totally avoidable unless you have no concept of other people actually existing. It’s fucking amazing and frightening. I guess they’re too focused on math.

Wrong. I drove there. That’s not how it works at all.

It is funny that there are comments in this thread that are outright racial bashing, but I’m the one who got carded for a joke. That’s just funny to me.

<{pranko}>
<Fedor23>

I would have fingered her til she get weak in the knee to show her who's boss. But what do I know? According to replies itt, I'm from a shithole and rude.

But to contribute to the thread:
It's true that, in general, Asian don't have problems crossing personal space as compared to you guys. It's more of a cultural thing than being rude. Kids sees their parents doing that when growing up and believe it's an okay thing to do, so they do it too.

But as @loyalyolayal mentioned, wait til the older generations to cease to exist. It's NOT because we are better than our parents/grandparents. It's mainly because the younger generations are generally more educated and exposed to different cultures than their own so they learn to be less crude.

I wouldn’t finger that bitches twat with a prosthetic hand. Anyway, it was so fucking ridiculous that the guy in line behind me and I were both busting up.

This just happened to my wife today. Two Asian ladies were in line being my wife but they were pressing themselves up against her even though nobody else was in line. My wife was like excuse me and they were like oh so sorry. Then when they ordered they leaned over the register to order.

Last edited:
The Chinese will swarm you (entering a full room before anyone can leave, blocking the path in the supermarket, etc).

Dogs funny enough seem to be aware of what most normal humans consider personal space and will leap at Chinese who get too close (making them good tools to clear a path).

While they will play chicken with you (walking right in your way etc) call their bluff and head right at them, they invariably have to move due to being smaller than westerners and thus the ones likely to come off second best in a collision.

Back