Lemieux vs. Saunders Dec. 16 on HBO - Officially Announced

Shoemaker

****INSIDIOUS****
Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40005740-4

Done deal: Golden Boy Promoter Oscar De La Hoya just told me that a deal was signed today for mandatory challenger David Lemieux to challenge middleweight titlist Billy Joe Saunders on Dec. 16 on HBO at a venue to be determined in Montreal. De La Hoya said he and Saunders promoter Frank Warren made the deal, thus avoiding an impending purse bid. “Like gentlemen we worked out the agreement and we’re on the same page with Warren. We want to see this year finish strong for boxing," De La Hoya said.

Let's go Dave.

Last edited:
BJS better give his kid a bat to hit Lemi in the balls with.

david-lemieux%20(4)_3.jpg

BJS better give his kid a bat to hit Lemi in the balls with.
david seems too nice of a guy to clean that kid's clock if he gets out of line, but i wouldn't mind it at all.

and i'll be praying to the old gods and the new that lemieux knocks saunders the fuck out.

Is this the first fight we will all cheer for the same fighter?

What a time to be alive.

As happy as I am about BJS getting sent back to the trailer park from Snatch I am even happier that James 'Let Me Die' Kirkland got a stay of execution.

Is this the first fight we will all cheer for the same fighter?

What a time to be alive.

"I'm a fan of Billy Joe Saunders" is not something I've heard uttered or seen typed.

I hope BJS gets brutally ko'd and is still concussed on Christmas and his kid gets no presents.

neither is a very good fighter. I can see this being a boring fight, I can also see bad judging and Lemieux getting the nod.

Saunders might actually have a pretty good shot here considering that Lemieux is limited and Saunders has shown decent durability so far in his career. Let's hope I'm wrong, though.

Saunders might actually have a pretty good shot here considering that Lemieux is limited and Saunders has shown decent durability so far in his career. Let's hope I'm wrong, though.

As usual you are correct. I think David is the obvious underdog here and will get boxed up for however long the fights lasts but I'm hoping when the fight does end it's because BJS is out cold and the cameraman is showing his kids reaction in the third row.

As usual you are correct. I think David is the obvious underdog here and will get boxed up for however long the fights lasts but I'm hoping when the fight does end it's because BJS is out cold and the cameraman is showing his kids reaction in the third row.

If Saunders does show up in decent shape, then I think he should be a slight favourite. Saunders is pretty good for the first half of fights, and I only see him getting stopped in the latter half by a genuinely good fighter with good stamina (at MW, that pretty much limits the list down to Golovkin, Jacobs, and maybe Canelo having good chances of stopping him).

neither is a very good fighter. I can see this being a boring fight, I can also see bad judging and Lemieux getting the nod.
I cant name a boring Lemi fight off the top of my head.

Lemieux obviously hits way harder and Saunders can be hit but admittedly he's got decent speed. I worry he plays it defensive long enough for David to tire out. Surprisingly though this fight is in Canada so that could effect a close decision.

Lemieux obviously hits way harder and Saunders can be hit but admittedly he's got decent speed. I worry he plays it defensive long enough for David to tire out. Surprisingly though this fight is in Canada so that could effect a close decision.

Interesting that it wound up in Canada. I reckon GB would've won the purse bid so it makes sense for Warren to give some there.

Interesting that it wound up in Canada. I reckon GB would've won the purse bid so it makes sense for Warren to give some there.

The major benefit is being live in primetime for HBO, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did a better gate in Quebec than in the UK. Saunders has never really caught on much with the UK public, it would seem.

billy joes biggest win was vs andy lee and I thought it was a draw 7-5 in rounds for lee but he was knocked down twice.

The major benefit is being live in primetime for HBO, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did a better gate in Quebec than in the UK. Saunders has never really caught on much with the UK public, it would seem.

That's a good point. Though I for one appreciate early-afternoon bouts on Saturday.

billy joes biggest win was vs andy lee and I thought it was a draw 7-5 in rounds for lee but he was knocked down twice.

Both his biggest wins (Eubank Jr. and Lee) were drawish fights. Hell, his fight against Akavov was drawish, as well (mostly because Saunders showed up in shameful condition). Even the Monroe fight was relatively close. Saunders is prone to close fights because he fades like crazy in the second half after usually winning the early rounds. The reason why I don't have all that much faith in Lemieux is that he isn't exactly a terror in the later rounds, either.

Back