Lenovo's Insane New P1 Laptop Workstation: Xeon CPU, 64 Gigs Of Ram, 4 Terabytes Of SSD, Nvidia 2000

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Yes those are the specs for tha 13 inch laptop. Who ever heard of of such specs in such a small package. If you need to ask about the price chances are you cannot afford it. :)
"
If you need more power than the typical 13-inch Ultrabook can handle, Lenovo's new mobile workstations might be the answer.

The ThinkPad P1 looks like a 15-inch Ultrabook, 0.7 inches thick and under 4lbs, but inside, it has a mobile Xeon processor, up to 64GB of ECC RAM, and as much as 4TB SSD storage. A discrete GPU, up to the Nvidia Quadro P2000, drives that display (either 1920×1080 300 nit, 72 percent of NTSC, or 3840×2160 400 nit 10-bit-per-channel supporting 100 percent of the Adobe color gamut and touch). It has a good selection of ports—two Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C, two USB 3.1 generation 1 Type A, HDMI 2.0, mini-gigabit Ethernet (with a little dongle), 3.5mm headset, and microSD, and it has 802.11ac and Bluetooth 5. The battery is a substantial 80WHr."
04_Thinkpad_P1_Hero_Front_forward_facing-980x588.jpg

Last edited:
Who does this even appeal too?

True PC gamers do desktops. Get this weak sauce shit outta here!

Engineers that need to be mobile. I need exactly this, although would prefere a Quadro p4000 at minimum for what I do. Really needs to be 17 inch though.

Window oglers. It's the epitome of a museum-relic-upon-the-day-of-release.

The Quadro video card indicates the target market is (photo/video) editors, so yeah, the Xeon processor makes no sense. You could build a portable Mini ITX desktop for under $3K that murks this laptop in terms of editing power. In fact, some of the latest gaming laptops that possess the Intel 8th Gen i7 CPUs coupled with a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 would probably outperform this in almost any real-world editing task, and even if they didn't, the task times would see a nominal difference.

Engineers that need to be mobile. I need exactly this, although would prefere a Quadro p4000 at minimum for what I do. Really needs to be 17 inch though.
It's not going to be very mobile considering the battery life is probably non existent.

It's not going to be very mobile considering the battery life is probably non existent.
I need a mobile solution quite often. Yes I need to bring a power brick, but I NEED to bring my work to meetings, customer sites, plus being able to work from home is a huge plus. So mobile means different things to different people.

Window oglers. It's the epitome of a museum-relic-upon-the-day-of-release.

The Quadro video card indicates the target market is (photo/video) editors, so yeah, the Xeon processor makes no sense. You could build a portable Mini ITX desktop for under $3K that murks this laptop in terms of editing power. In fact, some of the latest gaming laptops that possess the Intel 8th Gen i7 CPUs coupled with a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 would probably outperform this in almost any real-world editing task, and even if they didn't, the task times would see a nominal difference.
No doubt but I used to work at a 50 billion dollar clothing company an senior executives got 6,000 laptops for their work. They do not want more work they want to flip open their 4 or 5 lb laptop an get to work. Mini computer would be a deal breaker for them.

No doubt but I used to work at a 50 billion dollar clothing company an senior executives got 6,000 laptops for their work. They do not want more work they want to flip open their 4 or 5 lb laptop an get to work. Mini computer would be a deal breaker for them.
That's why I just mentioned gaming laptops in the $1.5K-$2K range that are better (or at least nearly equal for) these jobs anyway believing these were some sort of extreme, niche cost items. They're not.

FYI, before I get to that, there are powerful Mini ITX desktops available out-of-the-box, now, too. The $2999 Corsair One Elite is the current industry leader out-of-the-box, and unless you're working with files larger than 400GB, there won't be any real advantage to the laptop in the OP:

• i7-8700K
  • GTX 1080 Ti
  • 32GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • 480GB m.2 SSD
  • 2TB HDD
  • 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2
  • Windows 10 Home
corsair_one_6-100714514-large.jpg

20170806_corsair_one_8.png

Nevertheless, why are you presenting these as if they are tech show floor expo models with prices so high they will have no real market appeal? That isn't their target. They're actually intended to be a very good value for editors and engineers:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/13/17682992/lenovo-thinkpad-thin-laptop-work-travel
Lenovo made a new business laptop that’s thinner and nearly as light as a MacBook Air, meant for people working on the go. It also made a meatier desktop replacement that will definitely challenge people’s biceps as they work out of hotels and airports.

The ThinkPad P1 is slimmer and lighter than Lenovo’s earlier workstation laptops, measuring in at 0.72 inches and 3.76 pounds. Despite being almost as light as a MacBook Air, the P1’s specs are in a completely different class. The P1 has a 15.6-inch 4K display, an Nvidia Quadro P series graphics card, and an 8th Gen Intel Core or Xeon processor that can reach up to 4.6GHz speeds. Couple that with up to 64GB of memory and 4TB of storage, and it seems like a solid video conferencing and document-storing device. It starts at $1,949.

Meanwhile, the ThinkPad P72 presents itself as more of a desktop alternative for traveling on the go. It has storage options up to 6TB with 128GB of RAM. Its 17.3-inch display is powered by Nvidia’s Quadro P5200 graphics card. Like the P1, it also supports up to Intel Xeon or Core i9 processors. The P72 starts at $1,799, with its lower cost likely coming in part because of its lack of 4K. It’s also a lot heavier for a thin laptop, weighing 7.5 pounds. Maybe you can also use it for lifting weights on the go for light workouts without a gym.

Both laptops come out at the end of this month.
The thicker P72 also has a highly attractive screen:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/new-lenovo-mobile-workstations-pack-xeon-cpu/
For starters, we have the ThinkPad P72 sporting a 17.3-inch IPS screen. You’ll have a choice of two resolutions: 1920 x 1080 with a brightness of 300 nits, and 3840 x 2160 with a brightness of 400 nits. This latter screen option supports 100 percent of the Adobe RGB space along with a 10-bit color depth, while the 1920 x 1080 panel has a 72 percent NTSC color gamut.
At $6k+ these are dismally unattractive, but at their real, intended starting price points these are quite relevant, more acutely aimed at editors than the gaming laptops I already mentioned, and likely to be the best possible value on the market depending on how pricing scales.

I wish you would have done just a bit more legwork with the facts.

That's why I just mentioned gaming laptops in the $1.5K-$2K range that are better (or at least nearly equal for) these jobs anyway believing these were some sort of extreme, niche cost items. They're not.u

FYI, before I get to that, there are powerful Mini ITX desktops available out-of-the-box, now, too. The $2999 Corsair One Elite is the current industry leader out-of-the-box, and unless you're working with files larger than 400GB, there won't be any real advantage to the laptop in the OP:

• i7-8700K
  • GTX 1080 Ti
  • 32GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • 480GB m.2 SSD
  • 2TB HDD
  • 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2
  • Windows 10 Home
corsair_one_6-100714514-large.jpg

20170806_corsair_one_8.png

Nevertheless, why are you presenting these as if they are tech show floor expo models with prices so high they will have no real market appeal? That isn't their target. They're actually intended to be a very good value for editors and engineers:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/13/17682992/lenovo-thinkpad-thin-laptop-work-travel

The thicker P72 also has a highly attractive screen:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/new-lenovo-mobile-workstations-pack-xeon-cpu/

At $6k+ these are dismally unattractive, but at their real, intended starting price points these are quite relevant, more acutely aimed at editors than the gaming laptops I already mentioned, and likely to be the best possible value on the market depending on how pricing scales.

I wish you would have done just a bit more legwork with the facts.

They don't have a lot of choices no one said they use common sense ideas. They buy an get support from a single source supplier who provides 24/7 support.

If a laptop goes down they will have a new one within 24 hours in most parts of the country. I know there are plenty powerful sub two thousand dollar laptops.

If their supplier does not carry it they cannot order it. The supplier has an exclusive contract but they also pay to keep a number of support personnel on site if one goes down. If a senior manager went to them an said I have this 1,200 laptop I can buy will do all I want an then some.

They will tell him it's not on the approved list. In fact even some big names were not on the approved list HP being one of them.

I too think it's a crazy way to do business but these people are not engineers they are clothing buyers. I have 5 3 ghz pc''s in my basement that have ether 8 gigs or 4 gigs of ram all Dell 780''s for 250 dollars with AMD gpus in 3 of them an 3 Samsung 19 inch monitors for 45 dollars.

I am the nearly the king of cheap computing. These computers are more powerful then I need for a majority of my tasks. But I do my own support. The vendors pull the strings in deciding what they can get but the vendor also takes a huge hit if there is a problem.

Back