Leslie Smith is suing the UFC

Remember when Ken Shamrock sued the UFC and ended up owing the UFC $200,000 in the end?

Leslie Smith is about to get wrecked.

Don't be so bitter in life use that energy to move on

Why is it a defence fund? Isn't she doing the suing? Maybe some of the money could go to a marketing department that will advertise her needs better.

What possible grounds could she have for a lawsuit? Is the UFC not allowed to pass on re-signing a fighter? UFC does plenty of shady shit but I'm not seeing it here and considering that they paid for her surgery I don't see how she deserves any payout from them. I'm thinking this is all a scam to try and milk some dough out of naive fans....this Gofundme reminds me of Jill Stein raising money after the 2016 election "to force a recount".

Whatever you may think of Leslie Smith and her lawsuit you can't deny that Project Spearhead is a good idea and something we should all support as MMA fans.

If she'd put her money up for it good - going for gofundme is cheap.

Also ufc employees are considered “private contractors” , Which is kinda bs since they have non-compete clauses , but she doesn’t have A lot going for her on this one

No, it's completely valid actually. As a contractor you negotiate a contract with the client and are almost always under a non-compete. For example, if Apple hires me as a software engineer as contractor or even freelance basis - do you think I'd be allowed to go work for their competition at the same time on a competing product? No way. There are NDA's, non-competes etc... that govern the arrangement of the relationship. It's completely fair. You're under no obligation to accept the gig. You can even try to negotiate the terms.

Obviously, the only way to settle this is a president vs president boxing match. Have Danna beak out his elite boxercising skills.

So she wants the fans to pay for her to sue the ufc. Wish she would go away. Wtf is project spearhead.

i hope it does.

at least the suet will.
su·et
ˈso͞oət/
noun
noun: suet
  1. the hard white fat on the kidneys and loins of cattle, sheep, and other animals, used to make foods including puddings, pastry, and mincemeat.
Origin

Wow, so many legal experts here on Sherdog, I'm impressed. All this free advice too, shouldn't you guys be billing Miss Smith for the opinions?

It doesn't take much of a legal expert to recognize that she doesn't seem to have a strong basis for a lawsuit. Maybe she'll prove us wrong. We'll have to wait and see precisely what the suit alleges. I am making the assumption that it is for something like wrongful termination or some sort of breach of contract. I don't think either would go very far at all, but maybe she has another angle.

It is hard to see how the UFC did anything wrong in this instance. They fulfilled the obligations of the contract, including paying Smith for a fight that didn't happen, and then opted not to renew her contract.

Whatever you may think of Leslie Smith and her lawsuit you can't deny that Project Spearhead is a good idea and something we should all support as MMA fans.
It is a good idea for fighters. Hard to say if it is a good idea for fans. Fighters and fans don't have interests that completely align.

I think some sort of fighter's union could be a very good thing. I also think it would have the potential to wreck the sport. It isn't as simple as union good, UFC bad.

Couture, Tito, Nate Quarry have better fighting chances than her and look what happened.

This lawsuit has failed already. She should just focus on getting signed with invicta or some other promotion, then unionizing.

Good point here and shows she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Step 1: Get a contract so you can continue making a living.
Step 2: Start this crusade against your former employer that is destined to fail.

I'm suing the UFC too.

Can someone set me up a GoFundMe page please?

This.

She shouldn't be fighting whether or not her release was legal (which it was, as of present), she should be fighting the status of UFC considering athletes as contractors when they've enforced exclusivity on them. That's a big enough fight on its own, but one that they could rally public support for.

And considering WWE had this fight (and used all their resources to squash the Levy / Sanders / Klucsarits lawsuit), it's a grim outlook on that effort considering the current state of US politics.
Legal precedent is a bitch isn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back