Leslie Smith is suing the UFC

Wow she's so salty about being cut.

Maybe if she fought and it was a good fight they would have resigned her.

Also Didn't she just get 60k? Now she needs fans to give her 20k???

A gofundme?

You just got paid $62k for not fighting

You could have taken $30k and still have a contact

Smith shouldn't be the "president".

They need someone with experience who isn't as naive as she is.

she is very smart on this topic, and has definitly done her research on labour laws. advised by lucas middlebrook , most mma fans dont realize the more rights the fighters have the better product we as fans will get. they will be paid better, looked after pension better, etc etc.

Completely outrageous. Is there somewhere I can send my monetary support to the UFC -specifically to defend this nonsense?

It could be an interesting case depending on how much money she can raise and what kinda lawyer she can get. I'm assuming she's trying to establish the UFC basically got rid of her in retaliation for her union/association organizing, which the UFC wouldn't be able to do to their employees. So it's yet another mma lawsuit challenging fighter classification, but with this added layer of employer retaliation thrown in.

Well her lawyer is lukas middlebrook, her partner in project spearhead.

No, it's completely valid actually. As a contractor you negotiate a contract with the client and are almost always under a non-compete. For example, if Apple hires me as a software engineer as contractor or even freelance basis - do you think I'd be allowed to go work for their competition at the same time on a competing product? No way. There are NDA's, non-competes etc... that govern the arrangement of the relationship. It's completely fair. You're under no obligation to accept the gig. You can even try to negotiate the terms.

ali act will be incoming.

giphy.gif

It's a scam on her part to get money from idiots who would fund her
Doubt it's a scam on her part, since it would be pretty visible if she just pocketed the money and no lawsuit materialized.

Her lawyer, on the other hand, is scamming her bigtime. Needing a GoFundMe to pay your lawyer means there's no contingency agreement; which means the lawyer knows she's going to lose. The lawyer will just drag this out and bleed her every step of the way, right up until she can no longer secure the money to cover his fees.

Wow, so many legal experts here on Sherdog, I'm impressed. All this free advice too, shouldn't you guys be billing Miss Smith for the opinions?
People stating their opinions on a discussion forum... OH MY WHATEVER SHALL WE DO!!

When you get paid 60 grand for literally doing nothing except cutting weight and start begging people 3 days later on gofundme for 20 grand to sue your former employer.

What she is doing just makes her come off greedy as fuck to me.

This is the ridiculous nonsense shertards defend lmao. She has NO case whatsoever. Her contract was honored and paid in full. The fuck is she exactly suing for?

most mma fans dont realize the more rights the fighters have the better product we as fans will get. they will be paid better, looked after pension better, etc etc.

You give examples of how having more rights is better for the fighters. But you didn't even try to argue how fighters having it better is better for fans. I can see why fans would want fighters whom they appreciate to have things better. I want fighters to be paid better too. That's not the same as the product improving.

su·et
ˈso͞oət/
noun
noun: suet
  1. the hard white fat on the kidneys and loins of cattle, sheep, and other animals, used to make foods including puddings, pastry, and mincemeat.
Origin

meh, fairplay, but a typo.

not my misunderstanding of homophones.

It doesn't take much of a legal expert to recognize that she doesn't seem to have a strong basis for a lawsuit. Maybe she'll prove us wrong. We'll have to wait and see precisely what the suit alleges. I am making the assumption that it is for something like wrongful termination or some sort of breach of contract. I don't think either would go very far at all, but maybe she has another angle.

It is hard to see how the UFC did anything wrong in this instance. They fulfilled the obligations of the contract, including paying Smith for a fight that didn't happen, and then opted not to renew her contract.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" - Leslie Smith

Is there a UFC defense fund go fund me page that I can contribute to?

I am making the assumption that it is for something like wrongful termination or some sort of breach of contract. I don't think either would go very far at all, but maybe she has another angle.

Yes you're making an assumption ........ and yes she has another angle.

She sounded way in over her head in her interview with Hewani, she essentially knows that she's never going to make real money in the sport so is looking for a full time gig as a head of a union which would pay. She's looking for a hand out.

Back