Lesser Known Gaming Systems

Bobby Boulders

My Lovin' Is Digi
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been enjoying videos lately from some guy calling himself "The Gaming Historian." He goes pretty in depth on most topics, and has several vids going over the history of systems that I did not realize existed. Did anyone know there was a system released by Panasonic that played Game Cube games AND DVD's?

Or, does anyone remember the JVC X'Eye, which played Sega Genesis games, as well as games for Sega CD?

Then there were units that weren't licensed properties at all, but stand alone gaming systems altogether, such as 3DO, which was made by several companies.

When I was a young Bobby, I was a Nintendo kid, myself. I had friends who had Segas, and a few with old school Atari systems. I never knew anyone with expensive systems such as those in the videos above.

What were the systems you owned during the old days of gaming?

Did any of you actually own the expensive (especially for the time) units offered in the early/mid 90's?

And for those that had 3DO units, how did they stack up to the other top systems of the time?

Thanks, buds. I'm new here.

i actually have a panasonic gamecube in storage somewhere.

as for me, it has to be neo geo.

im on a hunt for an american model of the AES and CD

i actually have a panasonic gamecube in storage somewhere.

as for me, it has to be neo geo.

im on a hunt for an american model of the AES and CD
When did you buy the Q and how much was it? I don't even remember things like that being offered in stores.

When did you buy the Q and how much was it? I don't even remember things like that being offered in stores.

i dont remember the price or where(got it as a gift)

you can get one on ebay between 300-690$

While not as obscure, the Turbo Grafx 16 was certainly not ubiquitous and definitely short lived.

Particularly in the United States.

Did you have one?

Yes and I had the even more obscure Game Boy version of it called the Turbo Express which would have been a power house if not for the obnoxiously small screen.

The fact that it played the same cartridges as the main console was awesome and the graphics were pretty much identical.

It sucked the life out of batteries with the quickness, though.

Yes and I had the even more obscure Game Boy version of it called the Turbo Express which would have been a power house if not for the obnoxiously small screen.

The fact that it played the same cartridges as the main console was awesome and the graphics were pretty much identical.

It sucked the life out of batteries with the quickness, though.
I was unaware that some of the handhelds I remember from that time were released before the Game Gear. Apparently the Lynx was released in the 80's, and I believe was 16 bit. Seems crazy that some of these platforms didn't take off, especially the Lynx and Jaguar from Atari, just based on the Atari name recognition and the fact that, while we can tell now that those units sucked, at the time they were ahead of the game in many ways.

I too had the Turbo Grafx 16 and Turbo Express. I wanted the Turbo CD just to play Street Fighter, iddly named Fighting Street. Its si fucking ODD no system has ever ported the original fighting game which spawn the most played fighting game ever in SF 2.

I was unaware that some of the handhelds I remember from that time were released before the Game Gear. Apparently the Lynx was released in the 80's, and I believe was 16 bit. Seems crazy that some of these platforms didn't take off, especially the Lynx and Jaguar from Atari, just based on the Atari name recognition and the fact that, while we can tell now that those units sucked, at the time they were ahead of the game in many ways.

I had a Lynx. Gates of Zendecon was the shit.

I too had the Turbo Grafx 16 and Turbo Express. I wanted the Turbo CD just to play Street Fighter, iddly named Fighting Street. Its si fucking ODD no system has ever ported the original fighting game which spawn the most played fighting game ever in SF 2.

I had a Lynx. Gates of Zendecon was the shit.
When did you have them? Were they expensive?

Last edited:
While not a system, I had a Sega Channel when I was a kid. Most people have never even heard of it, but it was amazing.

I also had a sega cd, which was a regretful request as it was awful.

While not a system, I had a Sega Channel when I was a kid. Most people have never even heard of it, but it was amazing.

Sega Channel, like, a tv network? A gaming service?

i have a sega and sega cd, im just buying the rare games and thats it

When did you have them? Were they expensive?

Turbo Express was $359 new. Got that fucker a decade later in ebay. I think the CD was $400.

TG 16 was maybe $200 and had a good independent line up.

Didnt have the sega channel bit i did have the sega cd and 32x. Fuck, i even had the sega master system and the adapter for the genesis.

Probably. Got it at toys r us and continued to shop there. I am actually thinking about a shitty game on the system amd the closest I can come to is Keith Courage.
Is your phone a Samsung?

Back