Let's settle this once and for all: Who's the greatest lead guitarist of all time?

tom morello,if thats how you spell his name. or dave mustaine.

Back when I was starting my retrospective journey into music back in the 90's as a teenager, my favorite guitarist was Ritchie Blackmore. I don't have a favorite theese days though, mostly cuz I'm not that much into the kind of music where the lead guitarist really stand out. And I've grown to kinda dislike guitar solos.

For my money and being a beast live/in the studio.
487594537503_1304584823345723641_L.png

He is by far not the most least skilled lol. He has some of the best vibrato in the business and his solo's always fit the song like a glove. Never over did it. People can have their sweep picking shredders, give me an Angus, Slash and SRV any day. I've played for over 20 years. Aside from Angus and Slash, coming from 2 of my favorite bands, I also nominate Dimebag and Rhoads for great leads.

Anyone denying the strength of an Angus solo need to watch him play Jailbreak at Donnington live. That shit still amps me up to grab my SG.

Last edited:
Is there a way for us to separate lead guitarists in bands from virtuosos like Jimi and SRV?

If so, then I'll put my vote in for David Gilmour.
Ye
He is by far not the most least skilled lol. He has some of the best vibrato in the business and his solo's always fit the song like a glove. Never over did it. People can have their sweep picking shredders, give me an Angus, Slash and SRV any day. I've played for over 20 years. Aside from Angus and Slash, coming from 2 of my favorite bands, I also nominate Dimebag and Rhoads for great leads.

Anyone denying the strength of an Angus solo need to watch him play Jailbreak at Donnington live. That shit still amps me up to grab my SG.
Yeah im stratching my head at the people that are saying hes not a great guitarist.. Lol.

Ive seen way worse nominations in this thread.

No way to settle objectively.
It depends on style. Knopfler would be terrible in a speed metal band for example, but he's a guitarist's guitarist.

Personally...

Robert Fripp for a musically challenging solo that works in the studio for the likes of Peter Gabriel and David Bowie. His work in King Crimson is outstanding, a unique personal style I've never heard imitated.

Frank Zappa. I try to keep his leads in mind while playing. He could craft a long, wide ranging solo over most any beat and style without relying much on licks or returning to the same ideas.

Dave Mustaine is a fun lead player for speed metal but he hires phenomenally better technical leads to trade solos with.

Neil Young because. Blackie is a great sound, always *just* this side of feedback. Sloppy and right.

Jerry Garcia, same reason but less sloppy. Rosebud is an amazing guitar for a "hippie sandwich" construction. The MIDI capabilities were great. Listening to his metal sound switch to an oboe and then a stereo mix of both, so much fun. And then a country song, and then a Beatles song...

Ye

Yeah im stratching my head at the people that are saying hes not a great guitarist.. Lol.

Ive seen way worse nominations in this thread.
Angus fucking Young.
A wall of power. Again, fun leads and a better player than he gets credit for.

I used to be all about the technical masters. But widdly woo *neo classical scales not necessarily appropriate* gets tiresome.

Exception, Rhoads

Angus fucking Young.
A wall of power. Again, fun leads and a better player than he gets credit for.

I used to be all about the technical masters. But widdly woo *neo classical scales not necessarily appropriate* gets tiresome.

Exception, Rhoads
Rhodes was a good player, but i fuckin hate his tone. Just sounds like shit to me.

Theres random youtube guitarists that are more technically proficient than most of the people were discussing.

Two others i strongly disagree with mentioned, Morello and Frusciante.

Rhodes was a good player, but i fuckin hate his tone. Just sounds like shit to me.

Theres random youtube guitarists that are more technically proficient than most of the people were discussing.

Two others i strongly disagree with mentioned, Morello and Frusciante.
Agreed on all counts with the exception of Fripp.
He really is without equal.

U.P. Wilson has the most swag

I love me some AC/DC, but Angus is actually one of the least skilled lead guitar players in Rock N' Roll. It works, but when it comes down to it his skill set is average.
Technical skill? maybe lower than others. But his tunes make me wanna rock.

Is "skill" simply how fast you can play and how many different modes you can play through, in one song?

Is "skill" simply how fast you can play and how many different modes you can play through, in one song?

It's certainly a skill, and fast guitarists are kinda fascinating to watch. When it comes to actually enjoying the music, I find it more annoying than anything, really.

Back