Let's Talk about Depression...

Social Distance Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a borderline Mayberry thread, but due to the sheer volume of those diagnosed with depression, it's a public health issue.

As some of you may have heard, the Washington State Cougar QB killed himself yesterday in a self inflicted gun shot wound.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/washington...ilinski-found-dead-apparent/story?id=52404164

This kid was very talented, and most likely a God on Campus, probably swimming in an ocean of pu$$y if he wanted to...

not to mention, a possible career in the NFL.

He was only 21.

Initial reports state that he was battling depression. This guy, with his whole bright future ahead of him still felt that this was the only solution.

Depression is still very stigmatized and many who are dealing with it are told to "man up" or "suck it up and be a man, life isn't fair!!"

It's obviously a lot more complicated than that...

anyway...I just thought this was kind of wild, and wanted to get your thoughts on it.

normally when we think of someone who has offed himself due to depression, we picture a loser, with no luck with the women...

What are your general thoughts on depresson, personal experiences?

all opinions welcome.

It's horrible that he felt that his only option was to take his own life . . . I think we've all been depressed on some level at some point in our lives. Some folks are obviously better equipped to handle it than others.

It's horrible that he felt that his only option was to take his own life . . . I think we've all been depressed on some level at some point in our lives. Some folks are obviously better equipped to handle it than others.
I think when OP means depression he means clinical depression which requires that it be sustained for two weeks. Its still very common, no doubt, but not necessarily something everyone gets. If this guy offed himself he was probably depressed for sometime.

You can't generalise for everybody of course, but I think one of the things people often seem to think is that "it's just in your head". Well yeah, it is because your brain is. You can actually see physiological differences in the brain in depressed people and there is a genetic component to it as well. You don't tell someone who is genetically predisposed and has a physiological difference to just suck it up when they develop a 'physical' disease, so why would you with people with mental diseases?

As much as I think you have good intentions, that sentiment is part of the problem. Clinical depression isn't a "oh I feel bad, aww" kind of thing, it doesn't just go away day to day. It's a condition, a chemical imbalance. You can have 100,000 good things happen and still be deep in it at the end of the day. Not everyone is going to be able to identify with this one, and it's not a matter of "handling it better than others". If you have depression, you need a doctor.

This is a borderline Mayberry thread, but due to the sheer volume of those diagnosed with depression, it's a public health issue.

As some of you may have heard, the Washington State Cougar QB killed himself yesterday in a self inflicted gun shot wound.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/washington...ilinski-found-dead-apparent/story?id=52404164

This kid was very talented, and most likely a God on Campus, probably swimming in an ocean of pu$$y if he wanted to...

He was only 21.

Initial reports state that he was battling depression. This guy, with his whole bright future ahead of him still felt that this was the only solution.

Depression is still very stigmatized and many who are dealing with it are told to "man up" or "suck it up and be a man, life isn't fair!!"

anyway...I just thought this was kind of wild, and wanted to get your thoughts on it.

normally when we think of someone who has offed himself due to depression, we picture a loser, with no luck with the women...

all opinions welcome.
I'm not so sure the dude was THAT talented, and he definitely didnt have a future in the nfl...

However. As I say all the time, I think it's up to us, normal Americans, talking (and listening) to one another, and actually giving a shit about one another.

Doctors can tell us everything they want, prescribe all the meds, but the underlying issue is still going to be there.

Our culture is so selfish, so fast paced, so cut throat, we dont take time to hear each other out. From politics, on down to our feelings.

Its frightening that in all walks of life, we would rather tear each other down, celebrate each other dying or being hurt and hope for the worst for one another. Thats gotta change if anything is gonna change. Im no one special, thats just my opinion obviously.

I think when OP means depression he means clinical depression which requires that it be sustained for two weeks. Its still very common, no doubt, but not necessarily something everyone gets. If this guy offed himself he was probably depressed for sometime.

That's why I specified "on some level" . . . my cousin killed himself back in 1997 in a spur of the moment fit of anger. He was arguing with his wife and poured lighter fluid on himself and threatened to light himself on fire and eventually did it. He died a couple of days later.

As much as I think you have good intentions, that sentiment is part of the problem. Clinical depression isn't a "oh I feel bad, aww" kind of thing, it doesn't just go away day to day. It's a condition, a chemical imbalance. You can have 100,000 good things happen and still be deep in it at the end of the day. Not everyone is going to be able to identify with this one, and it's not a matter of "handling it better than others". If you have depression, you need a doctor.

I'm sorry you feel my sentiment is part of the problem. I'm fully aware that some people are more prone to clinical depression than others. I'm also fully aware that some folks can in fact handle it better than others . . . for a time. Part of that handling it better than others includes the ability to recognize the issue and seek help.

It's sad when people feel they have nothing to live for.

Depression is horrible for people to deal with, as well as those around the person, who care about the person.

A lot of us feel ashamed to talk about how we feel. It's seen as being weak. We bottle those feelings up and they weigh on us. Hell I jab my buddies about the shit they are going though, but I still let them know I'm there.

If we would have more compassion for our fellow man it would prolly help.

Last edited:

He was only 21.

all opinions welcome.

there are many types of depression. some are:

-biological (bipolarity)
-environmental (dysthymia)

also, depression doesnt exactly mean that youre sad. its characterized by irrational thinking. so thinking a person "should" be happy based on what you see their life as being, is irrelevant. they magnify the bad, and brush off the good. focus on whats wrong, rather than whats going well. make negative assumptions that they have no real way of knowing. pessimism impacts behavior, and creates a cycle.

theres also a SUPER interesting body of research related to gut bacteria and its impact on the vagus nerve. gut bacteria overgrowth, caused by eating shitty food, for sure impacts this nerve, and people's mood. a lot of this is still speculative though, and the directionality of this correlation hasnt been established exactly. chicken or the egg stuff. is your gut bacteria messed up and you eat like shit because youre depressed and anxious, or are you depressed and anxious because you eat like shit....

there are many types of depression. some are:

-biological (bipolarity)
-environmental (dysthymia)

also, depression doesnt exactly mean that youre sad. its characterized by irrational thinking. so thinking a person "should" be happy based on what you see their life as being, is irrelevant. they magnify the bad, and brush off the good. focus on whats wrong, rather than whats going well. make negative assumptions that they have no real way of knowing. pessimism impacts behavior, and creates a cycle.

theres also a SUPER interesting body of research related to gut bacteria and its impact on the vagus nerve. gut bacteria overgrowth, caused by eating shitty food, for sure impacts this nerve, and people's mood. a lot of this is still speculative though, and the directionality of this correlation hasnt been established exactly. chicken or the egg stuff. is your gut bacteria messed up and you eat like shit because youre depressed and anxious, or are you depressed and anxious because you eat like shit....

Interesting . . . never thought about diet having that much of an impact on a person's mood.

I'm sorry you feel my sentiment is part of the problem. I'm fully aware that some people are more prone to clinical depression than others. I'm also fully aware that some folks can in fact handle it better than others . . . for a time. Part of that handling it better than others includes the ability to recognize the issue and seek help.

It's the "everybody feels it to some extent" sentiment that I have issues with. It's not normal, it's not something you can attribute to everyone, and it's not something that goes away. That's what I (and what I think society should) want to hammer home. Empathizing is good except for the times when it's not, and this is one of those where it's not. We need to harp on the fact that this is a legitimate medical condition and for anyone feeling that way to seek help. Again, I get the good intentions, I really do, but this is one of those things that we just need to call when we see it. Support the person sure, help them as necessary ok, but we can't normalize it because that's counterproductive. That's how "happy" people slip through the cracks.

Interesting . . . never thought about diet having that much of an impact on a person's mood.

i didnt either. this gut stuff is crazy though.

your gut is full of all types of bacteria, and what you eat feeds different species. if you eat a shit ton of refined carbs and sugar, as most americans do, guess which type of bacteria is most prevalent in your gut? as a result, guess what types of food you crave the most?

one of the scientists studying this recently said that humans are an incredibly sophisticated vehicle that evolved to transport these bacteria lol.

but certain types of these bacteria are correlated with various depressive disorders and anxiety. they also cause your body to fight inflammation that they cause around your vagus nerve. you could just be depressed and anxious though because youre likely fat and tired all the time if you have this sugar obsessed bacteria. so its still unclear what causal role it plays in your mood.

It's the "everybody feels it to some extent" sentiment that I have issues with. It's not normal, it's not something you can attribute to everyone, and it's not something that goes away. That's what I (and what I think society should) want to hammer home. Empathizing is good except for the times when it's not, and this is one of those where it's not. We need to harp on the fact that this is a legitimate medical condition and for anyone feeling that way to seek help. Again, I get the good intentions, I really do, but this is one of those things that we just need to call when we see it. Support the person sure, help them as necessary ok, but we can't normalize it because that's counterproductive. That's how "happy" people slip through the cracks.
Its a perfectly normal, natural human emotion. We have to learn how to deal with it, and how to help each other learn how to deal with it. Unless you think we should just eliminate everyone whos ever felt depressed via selective breeding.

Its a perfectly normal, natural human emotion. We have to learn how to deal with it, and how to help each other learn how to deal with it. Unless you think we should just eliminate everyone whos ever felt depressed via selective breeding.

<Huh2>

Sadness is an emotion.

Grief is an emotion.

Depression is a medical condition.

HTH

Point still remains.

It's a shitty point. Feeling a crippling sense of abject dread for weeks, months, or years is not normal.

No, not everyone "feels a little depression" day to day. That's my entire point.

Back