Let's Talk about Depression...

huh, I always thought you were into fucking with really messed up people. Guilt by association?

@sniper has always come across as caring about others. I don't know about all his post, but when it comes to talking about caring about others, he has been solid imo.

I was literally the only person there trying to get people to stop fucking with him. All my buds that post here now actually turned on me for quite a while because of it lol.
<mma4>

Well I think what you said itt was pretty good stuff, but millions of people get a real benefit from SSRIs and the like. Probably overprescribed a little but I think we're doing alright.

Whatever dude, apparently the answer is just to TUFF UP. Just bleed guys!

Ffs, in one post you're trying to zing me with "HURR, UR NOT A DOKTOR" and in the next you're wondering what the hell we even need doctors for.

Well retard, because it's a medical condition. Go retard elsewhere now.

Yea, I too was one of those guys who believed in the "toughen up" approach to depression..

it wasn't until I volunteered for a Suicide hotline that I discovered just how ignorant I was on the issue...

It. Is. A. Medical. Condition.

http://www.mentalhealth.com/home/dx/majordepressive.html

I never thought I would get so many people trying to argue with me over the fact that it's a medical condition and to go see a medical professional, yet here you are.

This is the twilight zone. We're living in Idiocracy.

Hey man, you wanna talk about your broken leg or you wanna go see a doctor?

So why in the hell would you tell someone with a broken brain not to go see a doctor?

<{1-1}>

Sorry, I'm not quite getting at what you mean by medical condition? It's seems to me that you are comparing it to getting a broken bone that needs a bracing, rest, to heal.

Depression is a very complicated subject and cannot be "cured" like a medical condition with an equivalent of penicillin or something. Anyway's you seem to be very intransigent on the subject so I wont comment on your posts further, but I completely disagree with your opinion on this matter, only due to my own personal experience on shitty fucking depression.

Sorry, I'm not quite getting at what you mean by medical condition? It's seems to me that you are comparing it to getting a broken bone that needs a bracing, rest, to heal.

Depression is a very complicated subject and cannot be "cured" like a medical condition with an equivalent of penicillin or something. Anyway's you seem to be very intransigent on the subject so I wont comment on your posts further, but I completely disagree with your opinion on this matter, only due to my own personal experience on shitty fucking depression.

I mean, are you even reading my posts?

It's the "everybody feels it to some extent" sentiment that I have issues with. It's not normal, it's not something you can attribute to everyone, and it's not something that goes away. That's what I (and what I think society should) want to hammer home. Empathizing is good except for the times when it's not, and this is one of those where it's not. We need to harp on the fact that this is a legitimate medical condition and for anyone feeling that way to seek help. Again, I get the good intentions, I really do, but this is one of those things that we just need to call when we see it. Support the person sure, help them as necessary ok, but we can't normalize it because that's counterproductive. That's how "happy" people slip through the cracks.

<Huh2>

What about the 20 American veterans that kill themselves every day. What attention are they getting? That is more death in the U.S. than combat deaths in Iraq or Afghanistan. Yeah, let that sink in for a minute.

"In 2014, the latest year available, more than 7,400 veterans took their own lives."

Link: https://www.militarytimes.com/veter...dy-finds-20-veterans-commit-suicide-each-day/

Dude, I'm not saying their lives aren't important at all..

I was just using this WASU QB as a catatlyst for discussion regarding depression in general.

Back in the day our grandparents had way worse depression than this and they sucked it up and toughed it up. People today are just puzzies. I know this because @Scheme told me.

Dude, I'm not saying their lives aren't important at all..

I know, but when you put it in perspective, don't forget all the groups that fall under depression and kill themselves. 7,400 veterans in one year is a fucking Army. You could invade and conquer most countries in the world with that number of soldiers. 1 death is 1 too many. Veteran or not. Yeah, depression is a 'bitch', I've been through it myself, but you as the individual have to take the first step. Others can't do it for you. It is like drug addiction. You have to break out of a cycle.

You can't generalise for everybody of course, but I think one of the things people often seem to think is that "it's just in your head". Well yeah, it is because your brain is. You can actually see physiological differences in the brain in depressed people and there is a genetic component to it as well. You don't tell someone who is genetically predisposed and has a physiological difference to just suck it up when they develop a 'physical' disease, so why would you with people with mental diseases?
Most people can't see or understand mental disease, not even doctors. I've witnessed this. Some doctors don't know jack squat. This is why the patients slip through the crack and never got the help that they needed.

Interesting . . . never thought about diet having that much of an impact on a person's mood.
I've noticed it anecdotally. If I over do it on sweets and carbs I notice my mood gets worse, almost depressive.
Depression is a medical condition.

HTH
I think the conception of it as strictly a medical condition, a chemical imbalance, also has its limitations as discussed in the article posted by
Is not as simple as just sadness nor just a chemical imbalance.
This article is very good
https://www.theguardian.com/science...knows-about-depression-wrong-lost-connections
Depression can be treated without recourse to a psychiatrist or SSRIs, which is not to say that's always the case.
You could be fit, healthy, famous, and depressed your whole life and do yourself in near the end like Robin Williams. It's a fucking complicated thing.
He wasn't just depressed, he had Lewy body dementia, a degenerative brain disorder for which there is no cure.

I mean, are you even reading my posts?

<Huh2>

Maybe there is some sort of communication error or something lost in translation but I was gathering from you that depression is a medical condition that can be cured and can go away. Something which I would disagree with, strongly.

My apologies for confusion, but I'm just driving at the fact that is a very complicated thing that cannot be pinpointed and "cured" simply as a medical condition.

Back