Let's Talk about Depression...

What about the 20 American veterans that kill themselves every day. What attention are they getting? That is more death in the U.S. than combat deaths in Iraq or Afghanistan. Yeah, let that sink in for a minute.

"In 2014, the latest year available, more than 7,400 veterans took their own lives."

Link: https://www.militarytimes.com/veter...dy-finds-20-veterans-commit-suicide-each-day/

sad stuff for sure. but do they kill themselves at a higher rate than the general public?

edit

130919123624-suicide-rates-story-top.jpg

I know, but when you put it in perspective, don't forget all the groups that fall under depression and kill themselves. 7,400 veterans in one year is a fucking Army. You could invade and conquer most countries in the world with that number of soldiers. 1 death is 1 too many. Veteran or not. Yeah, depression is a 'bitch', I've been through it myself, but you as the individual have to take the first step. Others can't do it for you. It is like drug addiction. You have to break out of a cycle.
take the first step to what exactly? lots of soldiers killed themselves because the doctors couldn't help them. To them, It probably felt like nobody could.

sad stuff for sure. but do they kill themselves at a higher rate than the general public?

"In 2014, the latest year available, more than 7,400 veterans took their own lives, accounting for 18 percent of all suicides in America. Veterans make up less than 9 percent of the U.S. population."

take the first step to what exactly? lots of soldiers killed themselves because the doctors couldn't help them. To them, It probably felt like nobody could.

Help. A good doctor and some good drugs. I know, it will not work for everyone, but if it works for 1, we have succeeded. Therapy for me did not do much. The medication helped in the beginning. Animals is what really did it for me. Rescuing abused animals. From dogs to horses. I rescued and adopted 5 donkeys that have done a much better job than any therapist or drug.

I'll keep beating the drum, mental health in this country, needs to be more of a concern. All the money we spend on stupid shit, but we can't fund mental health more? It's crazy to me. So much of our domestic violence drug problems and gun problems stem from it.

Help. A good doctor and some good drugs. I know, it will not work for everyone, but if it works for 1, we have succeeded. Therapy for me did not do much. The medication helped in the beginning. Animals is what really did it for me. Rescuing abused animals. From dogs to horses. I rescued and adopted 5 donkeys that have done a much better job than any therapist or drug.

love, compassion, and respect. That's what's missing in today's society. Some people just need to learn how to love again. Seems you have a love for animals. It's funny that some doctors and nurses who are suppose to be in "caring roles" don't really care at all about helping the patients. It's all about the class and money for them. These doctors and nurses we can do without.

Depression isn't just about being sad or lonely or unhappy. I take 15 mg of Lexapro a day to help with paranoia and bouts of rage that I used to have.

Most people seem to carry a misconception on what depression is, and they think it’s caused by some sort of traumatic personal experience or event.

there are many types of depression. some are:

-biological (bipolarity)
-environmental (dysthymia)

also, depression doesnt exactly mean that youre sad. its characterized by irrational thinking. so thinking a person "should" be happy based on what you see their life as being, is irrelevant. they magnify the bad, and brush off the good. focus on whats wrong, rather than whats going well. make negative assumptions that they have no real way of knowing. pessimism impacts behavior, and creates a cycle.

theres also a SUPER interesting body of research related to gut bacteria and its impact on the vagus nerve. gut bacteria overgrowth, caused by eating shitty food, for sure impacts this nerve, and people's mood. a lot of this is still speculative though, and the directionality of this correlation hasnt been established exactly. chicken or the egg stuff. is your gut bacteria messed up and you eat like shit because youre depressed and anxious, or are you depressed and anxious because you eat like shit....

Great post

I have been dealing with depression for the past few years. It started out when I got sick. A bad cold, or influenza bouts would bring it on. Then, oddly enough, midnight shift would bring it on. Then I realized that it came on at night, regardless of whether I was working. Really cold weather and winter are also my triggers.

The last two years, it has been pretty bad. Never suicidal, since that is the topic in the op. Medicated and therapy have helped a little, but now we are examining that it is likely bi-polar type two, which is predominantly depression. When it lifts, I am energetic as hell, and like that just before a bout comes on. I can tell you that it sucks. It is also a physical pain. And dealing with a bunch of blown discs in my back, it is also possible that dealing with the pain for years brought this on. The worst part is that my kids see me like that. I sleep all the time and it affects my work(as in, I burn through leave like crazy). None of the guys at work(save the chief) are aware of this, and they just talk shit behind your back not knowing why you take leave, or can’t seem to come to work. Things really took a turn for the worse when 2016, we suffered the death of my father in law, my dog, and had two miscarriages. I never seemed to recover from that, despite having a wonderful three month old right now.

Another horrible aspect is that even when you are not in a bout of depression, all you think about is “when will it come back” which causes anxiety. My beautiful wife is a saint for dealing with me when I am in a bout, and she tries to get my ass of me the couch.

I will say that anyone that is dealing with this, physical activity, no matter how horrible the prospect is at the time, is a must. The medications suck, but are necessary. And finding the right therapist is tough. Cognitive behavioral therapy is helping, but it is a lot of work. And you have to face and talk about things that make you feel worse at first. And strangely, those that do commit suicide, often do so when they are out of a bout of depression because they don’t want to fall into another bout. Stick with the treatments and medication, get off your ass(easier said than done), and retrain your brain to get out of negative thought processes.

Depression is one of the worst illnesses one could have.

When coupled with anxiety the chances of suicide sky rocket.

Middle aged men have had the largest increase in suicide in the US.

I listened to a podcast recently, possibly JRE, where they made the argument that we need a new term for depression, because the current term is too broad. Everybody gets depressed, not everybody has depression. Just prepending with 'clinical' isn't enough.

Therapy comes in many different forms. For you traditional means didn't work but you continued searching and found what worked. For me, therapy has done wonders as I've had to deal with my very manipulative behavior that has negatively impacted personal relationships. Having someone to talk to that can point out my behavior has helped.

"I know what's wrong. You're depressed! Here, take this"

Who knew the cure was right there, all along?
sigh...Why do people who don't know what they are talking about have the most vocal opinions?

It's the "everybody feels it to some extent" sentiment that I have issues with. It's not normal, it's not something you can attribute to everyone, and it's not something that goes away. That's what I (and what I think society should) want to hammer home. Empathizing is good except for the times when it's not, and this is one of those where it's not. We need to harp on the fact that this is a legitimate medical condition and for anyone feeling that way to seek help. Again, I get the good intentions, I really do, but this is one of those things that we just need to call when we see it. Support the person sure, help them as necessary ok, but we can't normalize it because that's counterproductive. That's how "happy" people slip through the cracks.

Dude. Please show where I normalized anything. I don't really care that you have issues with my "everybody feels it to some extent" statement because that's the freaking truth. I've already fully acknowledged that I understand there are different levels of depression and explained that once. I'm not sure what you're expecting or how you feel your calling me out for some perceived slight or misplaced comment is needed, but get over it.

And know, you apparently don't get anything . . .

It's a shitty point. Feeling a crippling sense of abject dread for weeks, months, or years is not normal.

No, not everyone "feels a little depression" day to day. That's my entire point.

Bull . . . you have no basis for assuming that everyone doesn't feel some level of depression from day to day . . . no, everyone doesn't have the same diagnosed clinical depression that would lead someone to commit suicide. I never said that. We're all different creatures and are exposed to different environmental influences everyday and we deal with those influences differently than others.

As much as I think you have good intentions, that sentiment is part of the problem. Clinical depression isn't a "oh I feel bad, aww" kind of thing, it doesn't just go away day to day. It's a condition, a chemical imbalance. You can have 100,000 good things happen and still be deep in it at the end of the day. Not everyone is going to be able to identify with this one, and it's not a matter of "handling it better than others". If you have depression, you need a doctor.

I told my self to man up for years and tried getting too jobs to combat depression not to long ago I got a good paying Job good management etc.

I though depression is behind me until I realized I am having trouble remembering things can't enunciate words properly and later unable to form coherent sentences.

It turns out its chemical imbalance but I still ignored it thinking if I just suck it up it will go away.

Then one day I just snapped called my GF and relatives and told them how awful they are and how I hate all of them and that they should kill me. I trashed my apartment before going to work and saw I have like 20+ un answered E-mail and that I booked 9 people on the Wrong Airline to Australia

wondered around the city after work drunk and almost jump of a building the next day. And been on and off meds since then.

Back