Lets talk about the Philly Shell in thai/kb

It is technically cheating because if you do the way like PBF does, you turn your back to your opponent.

If kicks are above the waist and I'm the taller fighter (both these are usually true) then I for one am a fan.

As a defence it seems real solid, I think it's a viable strategy inside when kicks are less likely.

It keeps your eyes unimpeded when compared to shelling up too.

It's fast becoming something I do to make things fun, a sign of me being relaxed. Like some people showboat.

Also, in kickboxing, regionally at least, people don't usually see it or prepare for it.

In KB, your foot can curl and reach around and still hit the face.

Yeah that kind of style is used in TKD lots too. Im not a fan though. Im actively trying to avoid using it in training, despite that making it harder for myself.

In TKD is great because you can through back kicks off the philly. And not against the rules to turn your back.

In KB, your foot can curl and reach around and still hit the face.

Yes, but I assume you're talking about a rear roundhouse coming over the lead shoulder?

In which case the trajectory is upwards or horizontal, as long as we're talking about a fighter of equal or lesser height. It's also the weapon that is furthest away from the target so it's easier to see and your arm has a shorter distance to travel to get to the block. I however just use movement to defend it.

Yes, but I assume you're talking about a rear roundhouse coming over the lead shoulder?

In which case the trajectory is upwards or horizontal, as long as we're talking about a fighter of equal or lesser height. It's also the weapon that is furthest away from the target so it's easier to see and your arm has a shorter distance to travel to get to the block. I however just use movement to defend it.

It can be either rear or lead leg. You can hook kick them too. That kick too can wrap around and even hit the face of someone who turns completely 180. You can fake a punch, get opponent to shell up, and boom wrap your foot around to his face.

How many here like to use the philly shell? I like to experiment with it during playfull sparring. But i doubt i would ever use it in a real fight with kicks.

That being said: I think it could be useful after the right training. What do you think?

Probably been done before. But lets talk about the philly shell.

fear-is-your-defense.jpg

im on board with it beneficial to learn, there will be instances you can use it here and there so why not. I wouldnt create a habit out of it, but would be a nice trick up your sleeve to use once in a while if the chance is there.

I have used the jab from a philly shell stance during a fight.

@Frode Falch

what do you think of this

I liked to use (when I was younger and still actively sparring (fighting)) a cross over defence and still play around with it.

Anybody in here used the philly shell against the wrong person and got knocked down? I know you basically have to use your reflexes and movement more for it. To be more effective.

A highly bladed stance is good for defending against punches, and it also increases the distance an opponent would have to travel in order to get a waist lock or double leg grip (which is hard to defend), and feeds them into the single (which is more open, but also easier to defend).

Or in other words, a Michigan style ready position is ironically much better in MMA than in 'pure' kickboxing, where there are plenty of people succeeding with a wrestleboxer metagame at high levels of competition.

Last edited:
I think it be really hard to shoulder roll a high kick. I've seen shins go to the temple and just knock dudes out.

With a kicking fight like muaythai this kind of posture does not work.

Sergei K uses the shoulder roll well as a kick boxer

I think it be really hard to shoulder roll a high kick. I've seen shins go to the temple and just knock dudes out.
I actually did this as a last resort in a fight against a dude with fast kicks. The kicks came up to fast to lean back and I had my arms down. Fortunately for me my opponent didn't set them up.

@Frode Falch

what do you think of this

I liked to use (when I was younger and still actively sparring (fighting)) a cross over defence and still play around with it.

Yeah i use it from time to time. Dracula guard. I never knew the name for it.

Works well under fire when you fight or spar loopy punchers. I know singdam uses it alot.

But imo its more a block then a guard. You should not stay in the Dracula guard for a longer periode then just to block a flurry. The philly shell is kinda a fighting stance as well.

My coach in Thailand did train me in this style of block in chumphon.

Yeah i use it from time to time. Dracula guard. I never knew the name for it.

Works well under fire when you fight or spar loopy punchers. I know singdam uses it alot.

But imo its more a block then a guard. You should not stay in the Dracula guard for a longer periode then just to block a flurry. The philly shell is kinda a fighting stance as well.

My coach in Thailand did train me in this style of block in chumphon.
Have you seen Yoel Romaro - he uses a cross over style of guard (MMA - think joe frasier)

TJ dillashaw used something similar in his 2nd fight with cody (MMA - the flurry after he was kncked down).
GlitteringHoarseIndianglassfish-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
He ate three overhands in a row. Haha

<Deported1>

Here I'm the fat(ter) guy putting in work against the human heavy bag, so you don't actually see the shell do its work much. As a southpaw I actually like to default to it, but it ends up getting used differently. I keep the left hand by my face to catch the rights, roll off of the jabs and hooks, and it's very comfortable to counter with my left straight either way. Leg kicks I have no real issues checking with my lead leg regardless of which side they come from.

Back