Let's talk acoustic guitars

rj144

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Anyone here have a fondness for acoustic guitars? I do. I have a few electrics and play electric a bit, but I really like acoustics because of how much building the guitars properly is responsible for the sound of the guitar. With electrics, it's as much about pickups, effects, and the amp than it is the guitar. But, acoustics are naked and I love the craft of making them.

So anyone else here play primarily acoustic or collect acoustics? I have too many actually. :) My favorites production models are Guild and Taylors. My all around favorite is my Goodall.

Tell me about your acoustics.

I only play acoustic these days. There's something about a raw acoustic sound without production that relates to me. It's real, that's how you sound.

I only play acoustic these days. There's something about a raw acoustic sound without production that relates to me. It's real, that's how you sound.

Cool and that's my opinion too. We might have already gone over this in another guitar thread, but I don't remember... what are your acoustics? Do you have a favorite brand?

I don't know man. Play a mexican strat built today and then strum a 1961 seafoam green strat built by leo fender. You will find the acoustic sound is alot different. I owned a 70s epiphone that sounded ok. I've also played martins and gibsons from the 60s. Martins are the best imo. You can pretty much do everything(strumming,arpegiation,finger picking), on a martin while old gibsons from what ive experienced are very hard to play and are essentially rhythm guitars.

Last edited:
I don't know man. Play a mexican strat built today and then strum a 1961 seafoam green strat built by leo fender. You will find the acoustic sound is alot different. I owned a 70s epiphone that sounded ok. I've also played martins and gibsons from the 60s. Martins are the best imo. You can pretty much do everything(strumming,arpegiation,finger picking), on a martin while old gibsons from what ive experienced are very hard to play and are essentially rhythm guitars.

Yes, I know electrics are also built to different standards but the tone is shaped through effects and the amp as much as the guitar.

I have a Gibson (trying to sell) and a Martin too. Martin's are nice and so is the Gibson and both are easy to play. No acoustic should ever be hard to play with a setup.

My Martin sounds great, but I like Guilds because they are little more balanced than Martins and cheaper in general. Taylors just really sing and Goodall is in a whole other stratosphere.

Last edited:
There's a great local company called Maton that make great acoustics here, I have one. If you see an Aussie acoustic player chances are they play a Maton.

There's a great local company called Maton that make great acoustics here, I have one. If you see an Aussie acoustic player chances are they play a Maton.

Yup, Tommy Emmanuelle plays them often.

I've got a Simon and Patrick Woodland pro. Its a decent mid level guitar made with solid woods. I've always wanted a nice high end Gibson or Martin, but I can't justify the price.

I've got a Simon and Patrick Woodland pro. Its a decent mid level guitar made with solid woods. I've always wanted a nice high end Gibson or Martin, but I can't justify the price.

Yup, made in Canada. I had a Seagull S6 for a while that was nice. A lot of guitar for the money.

I know I sound like a Guild spokesman, but they have an import line that makes incredible guitars for a decent price. Or, a used USA Guild is cheap and they are every but as good as a Martin or Gibson.

I have a Martin D-18, it sounds like heaven should

They are probably Martin's most popular model. I've never played one though.

For a while, I didn't like Martin. I played a few of the low end models at guitar stores and they sounded like crap compared to any Taylor in the shop. But, I eventually played the higher end Martin's and realized I was wrong. It was years before I realized that though.

They are probably Martin's most popular model. I've never played one though.

For a while, I didn't like Martin. I played a few of the low end models at guitar stores and they sounded like crap compared to any Taylor in the shop. But, I eventually played the higher end Martin's and realized I was wrong. It was years before I realized that though.
I live near Elderly Instruments.
Like, blocks.
You can't go wrong with a Taylor.
I've never played a bad one of either.

I live near Elderly Instruments.
Like, blocks.
You can't go wrong with a Taylor.
I've never played a bad one of either.

Yup, I have a few Taylor's but I also have a Martin HD28 that's pretty sweet too.

Yes, I know electrics are also built to different standards but the tone is shaped through effects and the amp as much as the guitar.

I have a Gibson (trying to sell) and a Martin too. Martin's are nice and so is the Gibson and both are easy to play. No acoustic should ever be hard to play with a setup.

My Martin sounds great, but I like Guilds because they are little more balanced than Martins and cheaper in general. Taylors just really sing and Goodall is in a whole other stratosphere.
yeah amps are really important. I dont use effects pedals. If I had a tube tape delay or some analogy phaser I would use that but in general I like to add effects in the mix.

The thing is though when you have an old tube amp the high fidelity really brings out all the noises and stuff compared to a professional vintage guitar. That and vintage are just alot easier to play which makes it sound better aswell. Don't get me wrong though vintage pickups sound sooooo good and are definitely special. I'm taking two old G&L and putting 3 old danelectro pups in one and 3 70s fender humbuckers in the other.

check this out. see how great it sounds unplugged?

Last edited:
I play my acoustics through Shure mics.
Not very often anymore.
The only thing I generally play out is my Strat through my AmDe.

One thing about my acoustic sound is that I can't tolerate playing on strings more than a few weeks old.
They lose that *ping*, ya know?

yeah amps are really important. I dont use effects pedals. If I had a tube tape delay or some analogy phaser I would use that but in general I like to add effects in the mix.

The thing is though when you have an old tube amp the high fidelity really brings out all the noises and stuff compared to a professional vintage guitar. That and vintage are just alot easier to play which makes it sound better aswell. Don't get me wrong though vintage pickups sound sooooo good and are definitely special. I'm taking two old G&L and putting 3 old danelectro pups in one and 3 70s fender humbuckers in the other.

check this out. see how great it sounds unplugged?

Yeah, it doesn't sound bad, but it's not an acoustic.

I play my acoustics through Shure mics.
Not very often anymore.
The only thing I generally play out is my Strat through my AmDe.

One thing about my acoustic sound is that I can't tolerate playing on strings more than a few weeks old.
They lose that *ping*, ya know?

Get some Fastfret. It'll help.

It does add a little life. I use my sweat cloth every time because my hands are sweat bombs. And a touch of polish, just a touch once in a while

That sounds like it'll help. I hate changing my strings. When I change, I clean down the guitar really good and condition the fretboard. It takes like 20 minutes for each guitar and I have a lot. Like 3 or 4 times a year I spend a few hours changing guitar strings on my acoustics.

i owned a charvel and a washburn acoustic, washburn sounded great but would like to get my hands on a taylor someday.

Back