Let's talk acoustic guitars

That sounds like it'll help. I hate changing my strings. When I change, I clean down the guitar really good and condition the fretboard. It takes like 20 minutes for each guitar and I have a lot. Like 3 or 4 times a year I spend a few hours changing guitar strings on my acoustics.
I used to let then get crusty before I'd change them. Then someone needed to borrow one and I was embarrassed.
Now I change em more often. Still not as often as I ought, but.
*sheepish grin*

i owned a charvel and a washburn acoustic, washburn sounded great but would like to get my hands on a taylor someday.

I have a cheap Washburn as my office guitar. It doesn't sound bad and I got it on sale for $80. Great for an office guitar.

My first great acoustic was a Martin. Then I got my hands on an old Guild dreadnought, with pearl inlays. The Guild was hard as hell to play to you could really slam that guitar and it held integrity. Then I played a Larrivee and that was it for me. The Larrivee I have has such a nice balance to it. You can't slam the strings like you could with the Guild but the Larrivee sings more than any acoustic I have played. Can't say enough good things about Larrivee.

My first great acoustic was a Martin. Then I got my hands on an old Guild dreadnought, with pearl inlays. The Guild was hard as hell to play to you could really slam that guitar and it held integrity. Then I played a Larrivee and that was it for me. The Larrivee I have has such a nice balance to it. You can't slam the strings like you could with the Guild but the Larrivee sings more than any acoustic I have played. Can't say enough good things about Larrivee.
When a guitar passes the tone test, that's that.
Every one of my guitars, I was gonna spend less, but the guitars sold themselves to me tonally.

Never played a Larivee yet. I want to one day.

What do you mean the Guild was hard to play? High action?

Never played a Larivee yet. I want to one day.

What do you mean the Guild was hard to play? High action?
High action, thick neck. You had to really dig in to get it to sing. However playing an Fm on that Guild would make a man out of anyone.

High action, thick neck. You had to really dig in to get it to sing. However playing an Fm on that Guild would make a man out of anyone.

Should have got it setup. No guitar should be hard to play.

had it set up many times. It was just a harder guitar to play. It sounded amazing and (like I said) the harder you hit the strings the better it sounded.

Yeah, it doesn't sound bad, but it's not an acoustic.
I wasnt trying to compare it to an acoustic. I'm just saying that the acoustic tone translates alot when it comes to the amplified sound.

had it set up many times. It was just a harder guitar to play. It sounded amazing and (like I said) the harder you hit the strings the better it sounded.

That's odd. A good tech should be able to get any guitar fairly easy to play by adjusting the nut, saddle, and truss rod. If a Fm was super hard to play, the nut was too high.

I wasnt trying to compare it to an acoustic. I'm just saying that the acoustic tone translates alot when it comes to the amplified sound.

That's true, but I'm saying for electrics (with no effects) the amp matters as much as the guitar.

That's true, but I'm saying for electrics (with no effects) the amp matters as much as the guitar.
lol no disputing that. Thats why I spent 2+ grand on a mid 60s fender super reverb.

lol no disputing that. Thats why I spent 2+ grand on a mid 60s fender super reverb.

Nice! Those are sweet. I'm not super into electrics any more, but I always wanted a 60's or 70's Fender Twin Amp. I have a 60's dual 12" Gibson Medalist. It's kind of bright, but I have an equalizer pedal to level it out. The reverb and tremolo on that thing is great. I have a Tube Screamer too and that's all you need to get a really smooth sound with a tiny bit of break up with it.

Nice! Those are sweet. I'm not super into electrics any more, but I always wanted a 60's or 70's Fender Twin Amp. I have a 60's dual 12" Gibson Medalist. It's kind of bright, but I have an equalizer pedal to level it out. The reverb and tremolo on that thing is great. I have a Tube Screamer too and that's all you need to get a really smooth sound with a tiny bit of break up with it.
nice man! As far as fenders go twins are very clean and loud if thats your thing. thats why country players all used them. If you want some grit for blues or garage I'd go with a lower wattage amp like a super or deluxe, both of what i have and attest they are great. Thats awesome about your gibson amp! my super has excellent tremelo and it is alot of fun to use. I also have a gibson GA 5 from the 50s. It has excellent breakup and is really heavy sounding. They say the vox ac30 that the beatles and brian may used were based off of gibson amps.

nice man! As far as fenders go twins are very clean and loud if thats your thing. thats why country players all used them. If you want some grit for blues or garage I'd go with a lower wattage amp like a super or deluxe, both of what i have and attest they are great. Thats awesome about your gibson amp! my super has excellent tremelo and it is alot of fun to use. I also have a gibson GA 5 from the 50s. It has excellent breakup and is really heavy sounding. They say the vox ac30 that the beatles and brian may used were based off of gibson amps.

Yeah, my roommate in grad. school had a deluxe. It was really nice too.

Yeah, Gibson amps used to be overlooked and you could get them for pretty cheap. Haven't check on them recently but I got my amp for $250 and that's including having it fixed/upgraded with a grounding cable and some new caps.

Yeah, my roommate in grad. school had a deluxe. It was really nice too.

Yeah, Gibson amps used to be overlooked and you could get them for pretty cheap. Haven't check on them recently but I got my amp for $250 and that's including having it fixed/upgraded with a grounding cable and some new caps.
yeah those damn old guys and hipsters driving up the prices lol. I remember when magnatone was the best kept secret then they reissued them and the prices sky rocketed. I got mine for 800 before that luckily. I was lucky enough to get my gibson for about tree fiddy. The same thing happened to echoplexes. They used to be reasonable but now even the crappy solid state ones cost like a grand.

Yup, made in Canada. I had a Seagull S6 for a while that was nice. A lot of guitar for the money.

I know I sound like a Guild spokesman, but they have an import line that makes incredible guitars for a decent price. Or, a used USA Guild is cheap and they are every but as good as a Martin or Gibson.
I'm almost bought a used Guild but got a good price on the S&P because it had been returned to the factory to have the bridge reglued. Same guitar from the factory with nothing but different glue for 1/3 of the price? Couldn't pass it up.

I've been trying to find a good pre-Gibson Epiphone archtop but all the ones I can find for a decent price are going to need the binding replaced and I don't have any experience in doing that.

No one else plays acoustic?

I have a $280 Alvarez got on sale for $180 that I love. Played all 2k Taylor’s etc and couldn’t play them as well and didn’t find much better sound than the Alvarez.

I only appreciate acoustic when finger style

Strumming chords just doesn’t do much for me

Not enough expression

Back