Let's Watch: Mid South Wrestling

TennBJJ

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
msw.jpg

I've been having a great time watching good ole' Mid South wrestling from the early 80s on the E's Network.

The earliest episode currently available is from 12-12-1981. Let's check-in on the action:

Boyd Pierce and Ernie Ladd start us off on commentary. Boyd Announces that "We'll have the little midget girls later on!". Boyd looks like a Batman villain and Ernie's just praying a strong wind doesn't come along and with that collar he's wearing. Ernie is a heel at this point, and does a commendable job as the douchebag who puts down everything the babyface does during the matches.
upload_2018-5-26_23-5-1.png

Our first matchup pits Brian Blair (pre-B) vs. Eric Rowan's father who was going by the name "The Monk". Blair breaks Monk's back and makes him humble via abdominal stretch into a pin(?)
upload_2018-5-26_23-9-8.png

Next up we have Ron Jeremy look-alike Tom Renesto Jr. as he takes on Generic African American #3, I mean "King Cobra". Cobra wins via standing headbutt. There are several green stains littering the mat, which is off putting
upload_2018-5-26_23-14-10.png

Next up, we have a pre-gorgeous Jimmy Garvin, looking like he's been taking his vitamins, saying his prayers, etc. He takes on the "Polish Prince", which sounds more like a gay sex maneuver than a wrestler name. The Prince takes it via gut buster and a 1-2-3!
upload_2018-5-26_23-18-40.png

Fans, we'll have more, right after these words from Mid South!

Everybody talks about Garvin being on the gas in the early 90's cause of Cornettes story about him and Dr Death but hes way more jacked here than he ever was in WCW

Finishing out our 12-12-1981 Episode:

Its time for the KING of Mid South to come on down, as the Junk Yard Dog and his partner Mike George take on some jobbers. I don't really recall seeing Mike George before, but he becomes a prominent figure over the next few episodes. His gimmick, as many of the Mid South guys seems to be: "I'm a f'ing moose, nice to meet you". JYD gets the pinfall after a power slam.
upload_2018-5-27_10-4-29.png

The next to last match of the card pits a guy named "The Iron Sheik" vs former Philadelphia Eagles Defensive Coordinator Buddy Ryan. Man, Bill Watts loved his football superstars. The Sheik seems to be the standard "evil foreigner" gimmick, though the guy is probably from Saskatoon. Not sure if he ever amounted to much in the biz. Sheik gets the pinfall after a belly to back SOOPLAY.
upload_2018-5-27_10-9-29.png

Lastly we have an interesting mixed tag match as Baby Doll and Chyna square off while their male counterparts spend the majority of the match testing the tensile strength of the top rope. Baby doll scores the pinfall after dropping her bulbous behind on Chyna.
upload_2018-5-27_10-11-32.png

Everybody talks about Garvin being on the gas in the early 90's cause of Cornettes story about him and Dr Death but hes way more jacked here than he ever was in WCW

No sh!t. I couldnt believe Garvin's body when he took off his robe. No doubt the Vitamin S was working overtime.

Next Up the 12-19-1981 Episode:

Boyd Pierce is joined this week by the $50 man(we know about Watt's payoffs), Ted Dibiase! Boyd looks like his suit was made from my gramma's couch. Its almost too bad Teddy was such a great in ring talent, as his voice is great for commentary:
upload_2018-5-27_14-25-6.png

Brian Blair kicks off the show with a hot match against Tom Ernesto Jr. Blair later in the match slaps on a figure four, after what can only be described as a "flying oil check". The result of the match: Ernesto was about a quart low.
upload_2018-5-27_14-29-17.png

Fresh off his Jimmy Garvin workout plan, Precious Paul Ellering comes out to challenge Don Serrano. Precious one also cuts a promo about doing the Iron Sheik's "clubs" challenge. The winner by pinfall after a reverse neck breaker, Paul Ellering
upload_2018-5-27_14-32-41.png

Next up a quick squash, as JYD easily dispatches the older brother from Everybody Loves Raymond.
upload_2018-5-27_14-34-42.png
*quick note, you may have heard of Boyer(above) as Mike The Hippie Boyette*

Now we're getting into some REAL entertainment as the Monk teams with Zach Galifianakis to take on Bob Orton Jr. and Paul Orndorff. *Spoiler alter* It doesn't end well for Zach
upload_2018-5-27_14-38-58.png

The next match is certainly emotionally charged, as twin brothers Mike George and Bob Roop go at it hard and heavy. Roop takes the win and claims that the victory proves he is the superior twin and only the 2nd least charismatic wrestler in Mid South.
upload_2018-5-27_14-41-36.png

The episode ends with the Iron Sheik squashing a JACKED jobber named Frank Monte. He and Akbar then kill time to end the episode so Sheik doesn't have to answet the club challenge by Ellering
upload_2018-5-27_14-45-24.png

Ellering used to be fucking JACKED.

12-25-1981

Fans we have a special episode this week as the old cowboy, Bill Watts joins Boyd Pirece on commentary. Boyd is wearing draperies from his house and Bill always looks confused

upload_2018-5-27_18-30-40.png

In our first contest of the night, Zach Galifianakis bravely returns to the ring after the brutal beat down he suffered at the hands of Randy Orton's dad. He teams with the double first named Mike George in a hotly contested tag match against jobbers A & B. Zach and Mike take the win, as Zach spends the majority of the match laying on the concrete!
upload_2018-5-27_18-34-6.png

Next up, the continuation of the Iron Sheik's club challenge. Its Paul Ellering again stepping up the plate. Out of nowhere Sheiky baby attacks Paul while hes doing the club exercise!
upload_2018-5-27_18-36-17.png

The next contest pits B Brian Blair vs P Paul Orndorff. Brian plays the scrappy up and comer, but is no match for Paul when he still had two good arms. Mr Wonderful takes the win via submission.
upload_2018-5-27_18-39-26.png

Not be outdone by his friend JYD, Ted Dibiase (who Watts continually calls 'Dee Bee Aws') this week takes on the older brother from Everybody Loves Raymond. Teddy actually sells for much of the match before catching Robert Barone with a power slam and finishing him off with a F4LL. There's still no news on the green stains origins.
upload_2018-5-27_18-44-4.png

Ron Jeremy, err Tom Renesto Jr. returns this week as Tommy Renesto Jr. Seems he changed his name from Tom to Tommy to try and fool the fans into cheering for a newcomer. It doesn't work, and the Polish Prince makes quick work of him
upload_2018-5-27_18-46-56.png

Wrasslin fans we're back. Its a new year and a new episode, 1-16-1982 Episode of:
msw.jpg

As always, we're welcomed by Boyd Pierce. Today he's wearing his suit tailored by "Cornette's of Louisville". Bill Watts joins us again on commentary, still looking a bit puzzled. We're told that a DREAM match will happen today. *Spoiler* Its 6 Future WWE Hall of Famer's in a 6 man tag match.
upload_2018-5-28_13-47-40.png

The Monk continues his huge heel push, as he has appeared in every episode thus far. He and Brian Blair square off in a contest. Watts spends the majority of the match thanking air traffic controllers at various airports around the nation for giving him special treatment, as they know what a busy man his is (legit). Blair wins it with an abdominal stretch into a pin, which Watt's calls a standing guillotine
upload_2018-5-28_13-51-22.png

The Dream Match is next as Ernie Ladd and the Wild Samoans take on JYD, Dream and Andre. All I can say is this is a well made ring, cause thats a lot of humanity in there. I encourage everyone to watch as much Ernie Ladd stuff as possible. He was a God Damned monster of a human being and could cut a hell of a promo. Here's a good shot where you can clearly see his size compared to Andre. Ladd was of course a great professional, and sold Andre like a million bucks. Dog, Dream and Dre win it after Andre does a SPLASH from the second rope onto Big Cat.
upload_2018-5-28_13-55-29.png

Next up is Zapata/Zach vs. Mr. Olymnpia. Watts spends most of the match saying Zapata looks like a guy he knows in Mississippi thats called "the whelcher" and a backstabber. Apparently Watts did this regularly, using TV time to shit talk people who he had poor business dealing with.

upload_2018-5-28_14-1-1.png

Time for a little dick, as Bob Roop is next. That is to say, he's wrestling all time great, Dick Murdoch. Paul Orndorff interferes, and Diabase comes in for the save. The winner by disqualification and overall superior talent, Dick Murdoch!
upload_2018-5-28_15-42-37.png

Ellering used to be fucking JACKED.

Yeah, the screen cap I posted doesn't even do him justice. He was a monster:
01e376423762e13b205ccddd17aad491.jpg

If he hadn't screwed up one of his knees so bad, he coulda been a pretty big singles star, IMHO. Could cut a good (outlandish) promo, had a great look and could work

Ladd was almost as good on commentary as he was in the ring. A helluva performer all around.

Yeah, the screen cap I posted doesn't even do him justice. He was a monster:
01e376423762e13b205ccddd17aad491.jpg

If he hadn't screwed up one of his knees so bad, he coulda been a pretty big singles star, IMHO. Could cut a good (outlandish) promo, had a great look and could work
Yeah, I remember watching him in AWA going against Heenan's stable. I remember being shocked seeing him as the Road Warriors manager when they came in.

Ellering has one of my favorite what the fuck moments in wrestling
It was on the JCP Saturday TBS show and he was doing a promo and just spitting out random shit and he said "Why would you be a walking dead man when a funeral only costs 22 dollars"
And he said it real sinister and let it hang there like it was powerful as fuck
Hawk was standing behind him and he laughed and nodded in agreement but you could see the "what the fuck does that mean" look of confusion appear on his face as they ended the promo
Good stuff

Pretty sad but I would much rather read these recaps than watch some of these episodes as they are probably more entertaining than that weeks particular episode.

Pretty sad but I would much rather read these recaps than watch some of these episodes as they are probably more entertaining than that weeks particular episode.

nah man. Even though I am lampooning them, the show is great! Real, emotional matches and interviews and consequence. All of the big matches mean something, and there is a storyline to them. Unlike modern day RAW where guys are mortal enemies one week and tag champs the next.

My hope is to get folks watching this old stuff so they can come to the realization as many of us have: You don't know what you've got till its gone.

I'm getting a kick out of watching these, and I hope everyone finds my commentary at least mildly entertaining.

nah man. Even though I am lampooning them, the show is great! Real, emotional matches and interviews and consequence. All of the big matches mean something, and there is a storyline to them. Unlike modern day RAW where guys are mortal enemies one week and tag champs the next.

My hope is to get folks watching this old stuff so they can come to the realization as many of us have: You don't know what you've got till its gone.

I'm getting a kick out of watching these, and I hope everyone finds my commentary at least mildly entertaining.

Oh I know. I’ve caught some of the old mid south stuff in the past and it’s good stuff for sure.

Iron Sheik worked that club gimmick in many territories. It works because the clubs, most people have never seen and it is a cool visual on TV, plus it always went the same.
Sheik would do the clubs. A jobber or announcer would give them a shot and fail. Baby face comes out and wants to do it. Crowd cheers and Sheiky tells the baby face he can do it next week. Cliff Hanger yo!
Next week baby face starts doing it, Sheiky interfers them tell them they are doing it wrong. Sheiky does again and hands clubs back to the baby face. Then Sheiky, Sneak attack’s the Baby Face holding the clubs. Then the feud starts.

Iron Sheik worked that club gimmick in many territories. It works because the clubs, most people have never seen and it is a cool visual on TV, plus it always went the same.
Sheik would do the clubs. A jobber or announcer would give them a shot and fail. Baby face comes out and wants to do it. Crowd cheers and Sheiky tells the baby face he can do it next week. Cliff Hanger yo!
Next week baby face starts doing it, Sheiky interfers them tell them they are doing it wrong. Sheiky does again and hands clubs back to the baby face. Then Sheiky, Sneak attack’s the Baby Face holding the clubs. Then the feud starts.

Thats the awesome thing about the territory days. You do something that gets over in one territory and makes money. Once you run out of steam there, you just pack up and take it to the next, and you can make money for years.

More Mid South wrestling coming up later today

Back