Liberal government advised not to call young people 'millennials' lest they be insulted

What sickos come up with ideas like these...

No more getting in trouble when knowingly infecting someone with aids.

Fines for not using the right gender nouns.

Don't say millenials

These people are dangerous

Well it does have a negative connotation.

Instead of not liking being called millennials, my suggestion is for millennials to stop being such a shit generation.

I'll just quote the great William Shatner :

uFTaRWD.png

Well being born after 80' I guess that makes me a "millenial" ? I don't give a damn fuck if some people wants to call us like this or that. Sociologists/medias always need to put a name on things.

And to people complaining in this thread about "youngs", don't forget the generation before you did the same thing, and the one before, and the one before.

Yes it's meaningless just like any type of waste of money by the government is meaningless when calculated on a per capita basis.

But its a small waste and draws attention from real issues.

We had a big fuss about ex politicians getting free flights for life and how it cost almost 1 million per year. Got loads of air time.
Due to this fluff issue less time was devoted to real issues like energy costs increasing 10s of billions of dollars a year.

In my mind waste should be granted attention on a pro rata cost basis. Seeing energy costs were costing over 10,000 times more it should get about 10,000 times more attention. And this is not just media but time spent in parliament.

I worked out that about 13 seconds of parliament sitting time should be devoted to that issue instead it was discussed for literally several days.

And people wonder why nothing gets done.

If you thought Millennials were overly sensitive, participation seeking Nancy's... you may have been right!

Liberal government advised not to call young people 'millennials' lest they be insulted

A $54,000-study conducted in March found that young people aged 16 to 30 thoroughly resent how they're labelled

OTTAWA — Don’t call young people “millennials,” because they find the term offensive, the federal government has been told.

In focus groups conducted for Employment and Social Development Canada, researchers determined earlier this year the word elicits “strong negative connotations” and is “considered derogatory and insulting to this generation.”...

For their part, Canadian youth said it leads to stereotypes about “kids not working, with a crappy job, sponging off their parents,” as one participant said. The word is usually “used to describe our faults,” and to describe a generation that is “lazy” with “no ambition,” said others. A “bad generation.”

The report was delivered to government just weeks before the internet started arguing about avocado toast.
All the more reason to call them millennials.

Who the fuck cares.

Fucking bunch of whinging bitches in this thread.

This wasn't a protest or anything they got asked a question and they answered.
And we are discussing it. That is the purpose of this sub forum.

You realize we are talking about a $54,000 that came to the conclusion that millennial is an offensive word. That's ridiculous. So ridiculous it's actually comical. And $54,000 might not seem like much, but if you tally up all of the tax dollars wasted on silly things like this, it adds up to be a lot more than you make it out to be.

That was one of the conclusions they reached. ONE.

If you bothered to read you'd know there was several more mentioned in the article and they also alluded to there being more again.

That was one of the conclusions they reached. ONE.

If you bothered to read you'd know there was several more mentioned in the article and they also alluded to there being more again.
Oh you mean the one conclusion that they titled the article after?

Since everyone is so easily insulted these days just make sure to insult everyone equally and fully. Equality of outcome among whinging assholes.

Well that is not really an accurate summary though.

that generation was content with a house that would be considered a shoe box by today's standards and many raised multiple children in them. they also had cars most millennials today would not even be seen with, let alone drive. They also had a fierce devotion towards saving money and working your way up in jobs to higher pay (buying newer bigger home only once they had equity, buying a newer car only once one was paid off and they had some trade in value).

It also has a ton to do with a post war economy where the rest of the world was in shambles (demand) and the US was left largely unscathed (supply = growth).

It also has a ton to do with a post war economy where the rest of the world was in shambles (demand) and the US was left largely unscathed (supply = growth).
That is not what I am referring to though.

My parents generation and my generation were just raised very differently in terms of expectations than today's millennials.

Our goal for the most part was to achieve our independence as quickly as possible and to save our own money to do so.

By the time I was 16 I had saved thousands from part time jobs and could buy my first Junker car. You would not see very many of todays millennials driving a true Junker. they want a car that compares to Daddy's car from day 1.

As young adults those generations had zero expectation to move out and live as well or better than their parents in their first home. The starter home back then could truly be a crap box and fixer upper and that was ok. It was a way to get in the market and build some equity and trade up eventually.

Again the millennials I see mostly today only want to move out if they get the comfort they have at home. I've seen many a new millennial couple with decent jobs who marry buy a first home together every bit as nice as their parents by mortgaging themselves to their necks because they won't settle for less.

Food wise we would be looking for the cheap stuff when starting out. I ate a ton of PB&J and Tuna sandwiches because they were economical. So many millennials spend more on Avocado Toast and Latte's while out then I would have spent on my entire weeks groceries and that is no exaggeration.

There simply seems to be little connection for millennials between WORKING HARD, SAVING and DELAYED GRATIFICATION and instead they seem to want everything now and when they realize that is not a recipe to get everything they get mad at the system instead of considering their habits.

That is not what I am referring to though.

My parents generation and my generation were just raised very differently in terms of expectations than today's millennials.

Our goal for the most part was to achieve our independence as quickly as possible and to save our own money to do so.

By the time I was 16 I had saved thousands from part time jobs and could buy my first Junker car. You would not see very many of todays millennials driving a true Junker. they want a car that compares to Daddy's car from day 1.

As young adults those generations had zero expectation to move out and live as well or better than their parents in their first home. The starter home back then could truly be a crap box and fixer upper and that was ok. It was a way to get in the market and build some equity and trade up eventually.

Again the millennials I see mostly today only want to move out if they get the comfort they have at home. I've seen many a new millennial couple with decent jobs who marry buy a first home together every bit as nice as their parents by mortgaging themselves to their necks because they won't settle for less.

Food wise we would be looking for the cheap stuff when starting out. I ate a ton of PB&J and Tuna sandwiches because they were economical. So many millennials spend more on Avocado Toast and Latte's while out then I would have spent on my entire weeks groceries and that is no exaggeration.

There simply seems to be little connection for millennials between WORKING HARD, SAVING and DELAYED GRATIFICATION and instead they seem to want everything now and when they realize that is not a recipe to get everything they get mad at the system instead of considering their habits.

I absolutely agree with you - my point was more in reference to the guy you were responding to (ie., talking about single income blue collar families being able to purchase a home).

I think technology plays a big part in this as well. The 2-second-attention span generation, where everything has to be *right now*. That, and kids are consistently coddled more and more for each generation. I was born in '72, and remember having to get a job at 15 so I could purchase my first car - a $300 1960 Ford Falcon. To me, the responsibility falls on the parents for raising entitled kids who expect a BMW as their first car.

I think that people look at liberal millennials as all millennials

They don't realize how many of us were spamming the net with trump and Pepe memes to piss them off
Yes! Meme them. Meme the fucking shit out of them!

$54,000 aint crap, it is like one add, and feel that finding how to best communicate to people you are trying to communicate with is actually a good idea.
Or, we could just tell them to sack the fuck up and quit being a bitch.

I absolutely agree with you - my point was more in reference to the guy you were responding to (ie., talking about single income blue collar families being able to purchase a home).

I think technology plays a big part in this as well. The 2-second-attention span generation, where everything has to be *right now*. That, and kids are consistently coddled more and more for each generation. I was born in '72, and remember having to get a job at 15 so I could purchase my first car - a $300 1960 Ford Falcon. To me, the responsibility falls on the parents for raising entitled kids who expect a BMW as their first car.
Yup and expect their parents to buy them their first car. I was born in 1968 and my first car was a used AMC pacer. Look up that beut if you don't remember it. Look for the one with the rec-room would grain paneling on it. I got it for the same $300 you paid.

whats funny is even young kids nowadays are making fun of millenials.

Technically, the term applies to those born on or after 1983 which is so amusing because people born from 1983-1988 are quite a generation apart from the 90's born kids.
This is actually quite true in my experience and it speaks to a point regarding the definition of a generation that always bugs me.

From what I understand, the actual time frame of a generation in these studies has some flex to it, in that they tend to point to other studies and try to make the research match with at least average ranges. It also would seem that the whole range of a generation is based on a reproductional generation. Ultimately that is completely arbitrary, and so we need a common anchor point to begin really defining each generation.

That was WW2, we had the great generation and the boomers following. But that's just the thing, without the event, fixing a proper definition on the people born in the late 30s and the late 40s as one generation would be just as appropriate, since time is arbitrary.

So what's not arbitrary then is the event. A large scale impact on society and culture. 70s and 80s kids imo have more in common with each other than 80s and 90's do. Likewise I would group 90s and those born in the new millennium as more similar to each other.

I mean, we always say it right, smart phone kids. The rapid rise of technology has created a stark division between age groups that isn't accounted for in the common definition of millenials.

I have two older siblings and one very younger. By some definitions, we would all be millenials. Of the older cohort, we were all born in the 80s, my younger sibling though was born in 2001.

I remember when the I remember the NES being a luxury in my childhood. We were early adopters of a home PC too, but even that was extremely time limited for us kids. We would be pushed out the door and told to be home when the street lights came on. We still brought that into our teens, and would wander around the city after (and during) high school.

I'm not really sure that my younger sibling even leaves the house if not for school. Kids born in the 90s would have been born into computers being an every day item, taken for granted. Video games that are far more complex and consuming with the advance of consoles and PC games.

Ranting now, but I know what it was like to watch technology develop, but I'm lumped into a generational definition with kids who grew up embedded in it. I think that has shaped us very differently.

Yup and expect their parents to buy them their first car. I was born in 1968 and my first car was a used AMC pacer. Look up that beut if you don't remember it. Look for the one with the rec-room would grain paneling on it. I got it for the same $300 you paid.

I know the pacer - it was probably just as nice as my falcon - I bought it not knowing anything about cars and came to find out that whomever owned it had replaced the original v6 with a 260V8, which was resting on the steering column. After awhile, I basically drove it to work/school with the tire screeching all the time. The toe out was so bad on one wheel that I would go through a $10 used tire just about every week.

My buddy had a 69 AMC AMX with a 390 that was fast as hell though.

Back