Light boxing sparring work

kingkshon73

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys so i got some real.light sparing in last night and i wanted so.e critisism on it. Im coming off a couple of lengthy injuries (Lower Back, Nose and knee) so im definitely more then a little rusty but I figured some sort of video is better then none. Partner I was working with has just over a year experience but is new to sparring so it was just a couple rounds of light work. Coach figured it would be good to do some light rounds while also working the guy without hurting him. Anyways here it is

I'll start it by saying I felt my jab was not snappy enough, I didnt move my head off the center line enough, I was available to get hit after I threw my combos also from lack of head movement and I didnt use my reach well. I feel really off so all critisism is helpful, just wanna be the best version of my self that I can.

I don't really want to evaluate too much based on this but you did throw illegal punches multiple times, for instance at 0:57. The point of contact on your hand is illegal in boxing. The knuckles is where you are supposed to make contact.

Last edited:
I don't really want to evaluate too much based on this but you did throw illegal punches multiple times, for instance at 0:57. The point of contact on your hand is illegal in boxing. The knuckles is where you are supposed to make contact.
... Not a single punch was illegal. This made contact with my knuckles/glove. The angle may make it look bad but ive never hit a punch with anything but my knuckles. Not sure where you're seeing these hand punches

You know mods complain about posting stuff in the wrong forum but anything I piat in here get 0 traffic or replies. Hard to get opinions if nobody really sees the posts

... Not a single punch was illegal. This made contact with my knuckles/glove. The angle may make it look bad but ive never hit a punch with anything but my knuckles. Not sure where you're seeing these hand punches

_20180521_194317.JPG

I like your footwork. Can still improve it alot. But i did like it. Very smooth.

Not easy to pick out much more because your sparring partner was much less experienced. But nice light sparring.

Why do you loop or swing your right hand that often? Instead of going straight. Because you dont telegraph it. So a tight clean cross would have found the target i think.

Keep posting videos. We need more people with skills posting videos.

Oh yeah : and ignore spacetime. He is this forums joker / troll

I like your footwork. Can still improve it alot. But i did like it. Very smooth.

Not easy to pick out much more because your sparring partner was much less experienced. But nice light sparring.

Why do you loop or swing your right hand that often? Instead of going straight. Because you dont telegraph it. So a tight clean cross would have found the target i think.

Keep posting videos. We need more people with skills posting videos.

Oh yeah : and ignore spacetime. He is this forums joker / troll
Not often actually, my coach never practice right hooks with us and I rarely throw them, our go to weapon is the cross hook cross. Idk why I was throwing it tbh. I felt really awward and slow in there and my timing felt off. Definitely threw a couple of I'll advised hooks. What can I improve on footwork wise?

I'l definitely post more stuff, I am having nosebleed issues tho so might have to take another sparring break. Going to an ENT tomorrow to have it checked, I already know I have a deviated septum but I think its more then that

Hey guys so i got some real.light sparing in last night and i wanted so.e critisism on it. Im coming off a couple of lengthy injuries (Lower Back, Nose and knee) so im definitely more then a little rusty but I figured some sort of video is better then none. Partner I was working with has just over a year experience but is new to sparring so it was just a couple rounds of light work. Coach figured it would be good to do some light rounds while also working the guy without hurting him. Anyways here it is

giphy (3).gif

You look pretty slick, good sparring session. Only thing that really stands out to me is your partner is really looking shitty for having 12 months experience...unless he only turned up to train 1 day a week or something!

Sparring against him isnt going to do you any good other than a warmup round but I guess you already know that

Really liked the footwork and especially management of distance. Looked fluid and intelligent in when to go in/out.

How many fights do you have?

side note: You partner is boxing for 12months and doesnt have shoes? A little strange but nothing important.

Good stuff, I have no real criticisms, just add tiny tweaks you'll find along the way. Don't go in one direction too much or else the guy will tag you going that way and it will hit HARD, like a counter.

I think in the future, you may want to narrow your stance (leftover from grappling and MMA) but it seems to be working great for you right now. A narrower stance will shave down your reaction/movement time so you wont feel stuck in the mud against a guy who's faster or more fluid (or powerful) than you. Every bit counts, especially when it's close. It will also keep your back leg more ready and primed to react with right hands with more distance, penetration and quickness

When you figure out and accumulate little tricks that work on most people, write them down that day so you never forget them (also don't tell them to anyone- that's bad luck).

Last edited:
King - ignore spacetime. he isn't a boxer - hes taken less than a year of classrs and gotten kicked / shamed out of his first gym.

You looked smooth to me. Obviously outclassed the other guy. Looks like youre ready to ramp it up with intensity. ever think about facesaver headgear if you have a nlse injury?

Thanks for sharing

More straight punches and distance control. Make him respect the straight shots even though it’s light sparring

look solid to me, and a good sparring partner as well not picking on a lesser skilled guy and still getting work in yourself. Dont pay attention to spacetime the sherdog community has clicked the "ignore" button on him as a whole.

My first is closed and it lands on curve (basically knuckle area), although yes that is more of a slap then punch, definitely need to clean that up. Thank you for pointing that out

It does not land on the knuckles at all.

King - ignore spacetime. he isn't a boxer - hes taken less than a year of classrs and gotten kicked / shamed out of his first gym.

You looked smooth to me. Obviously outclassed the other guy. Looks like youre ready to ramp it up with intensity. ever think about facesaver headgear if you have a nlse injury?

Thanks for sharing

I'll show how it's done. Nobody in here can box.

Last edited:
Congrats, you already have more fighting experience than 90% of Sherdog! :D

As a Karate guy I recommend more straight punches, because, well, that's basically all we ever do. :D But I like that you're aware of your reach advantage most of the time.

Back