Light boxing sparring work

Really liked the footwork and especially management of distance. Looked fluid and intelligent in when to go in/out.

How many fights do you have?

side note: You partner is boxing for 12months and doesnt have shoes? A little strange but nothing important.
I have one fight and I'm looking to get my second soon but I need to fix my nose first. As for side note its an MMA guy so a few guys there training everything, he's
one of those guys so he doesnt have a bunch of boxing gear.

Good stuff, I have no real criticisms, just add tiny tweaks you'll find along the way. Don't go in one direction too much or else the guy will tag you going that way and it will hit HARD, like a counter.

I think in the future, you may want to narrow your stance (leftover from grappling and MMA) but it seems to be working great for you right now. A narrower stance will shave down your reaction/movement time so you wont feel stuck in the mud against a guy who's faster or more fluid (or powerful) than you. Every bit counts, especially when it's close. It will also keep your back leg more ready and primed to react with right hands with more distance, penetration and quickness

When you figure out and accumulate little tricks that work on most people, write them down that day so you never forget them (also don't tell them to anyone- that's bad luck).

Usually I'm not always going on way I usually work with what the opponent gives me if they try and pressure. When im on the backfoot I find when I try and dictate direction instead of going with the flow/what'
open im more prone to walk into a shot.

As for the narrow my stance its something im always trying to improve, what are some tips you would give to work on it?

More straight punches and distance control. Make him respect the straight shots even though it’s light sparring

Definitely working on throwing more straight shots, tbh I dont actually throw hooks that often as its not a huge part of my coaches style but idk I found it open a lot that day and I was also very rusty to I did a few things pretty awkward.

I think that you looked pretty good, overall. I like your use of angles, but I don't understand your movement. You have a pretty good idea of distance, but then seem to manoeuvre yourself into positions that I don't really understand. I always try to move into the open space, preferably with my back towards it and with my opponent in the 'smaller space'.

To give an example from the vid: at 0:22 you have your back towards the open space of the ring, so your opponent has barely any space to move, which is great. You then start moving towards your left, until the situation is basically reversed, giving him all the room to move. I think that can be pretty dangerous against a more skilled opponent and makes you work harder than is strictly necessary. Between 0:44 and 0:54 you literally complete a whole circle around your opponent, while you clearly have much better technique and a better grasp of the distance. If you would've taken a step to your left at 0:51, the whole next series of movements would've been unnecessary and you could've kept him at the end of your jab, once again with all the open space behind you.

As for the narrow my stance its something im always trying to improve, what are some tips you would give to work on it?

You could practice consciously using a narrower stance while doing drills, mitts, and while visualizing yourself fighting and moving around the ring. Then when you spar, it's much more likely to feel natural and familiar.

Also, your right foot is often aimed to the side or even backward, which also tends to widen the stance. If your right foot is aimed more forward (towards your target) it will tend to keep the stance narrower and keep the right hand feeling more mechanically "ready" to punch at any time because it doesn't require a re-adjustment before you can fire that right hand- you can throw it instantly whenever you want, quickly with good range and penetration. That kind of thing.

When you're trying to escape, that's when the sideways foot at that moment makes sense, because that's where you want to go to. But otherwise, you can't really punch quickly or well from that same side while having a sidways/backwards foot or having that leg out too far to the rear (both those things tend to go together- sideways/backwards pointing foot and too wide of a stance/leg too far back eg 'foot in a bucket').

Play around with this concept. Tweak it, see what works

---

You're doing really good though, so I wouldn't worry over the little improvements. The hardest stuff you're already pretty good at. These little adjustments should be reasonably quick and not too difficult to integrate. But once you do, you'll notice that a tiny improvement goes a looong way...

Last edited:
I think that you looked pretty good, overall. I like your use of angles, but I don't understand your movement. You have a pretty good idea of distance, but then seem to manoeuvre yourself into positions that I don't really understand. I always try to move into the open space, preferably with my back towards it and with my opponent in the 'smaller space'.

To give an example from the vid: at 0:22 you have your back towards the open space of the ring, so your opponent has barely any space to move, which is great. You then start moving towards your left, until the situation is basically reversed, giving him all the room to move. I think that can be pretty dangerous against a more skilled opponent and makes you work harder than is strictly necessary. Between 0:44 and 0:54 you literally complete a whole circle around your opponent, while you clearly have much better technique and a better grasp of the distance. If you would've taken a step to your left at 0:51, the whole next series of movements would've been unnecessary and you could've kept him at the end of your jab, once again with all the open space behind you.
You just gave me a holy shit moment as I never noticed how inefficient my movement was at time but also realized that I've been doing it subconscious for what I thought was a decent reason but I'm now realizing isnt. Guys generally end up gassing trying to spar at my pace as I'm usually forcing them to chase my while picking them apart at range and then occasionally using my footwork to set traps and land some combos. By round three there legs are usually dead and thats when I try and pressure and drown them.

You could practice consciously using a narrow stance while doing drills, mitts, and while visualizing yourself fighting and moving around the ring. Then when you spar, it's much more likely to feel natural and familiar.

Also, your right foot is often aimed to the side or even backward, which also tends to widen the stance. If your right foot is aimed more forward (towards your target) it will tend to keep the stance narrower and keep the right hand feeling more mechanically "ready" to punch at any time because it doesn't require a re-adjustment before you can fire that right hand- you can throw it instantly whenever you want, quickly with good range and penetration. That kind of thing.

When you're trying to escape, that's when the sideways foot at that moment makes sense, because that's where you want to go to. But otherwise, you can't really punch quickly or well from that same side while having a sidways/backwards foot or having that leg out too far to the rear (both those things tend to go together- sideways/backwards pointing foot and too wide of a stance/leg too far back eg 'foot in a bucket').

Play around with this concept. Tweak it, see what works

---

You're doing really good though, so I wouldn't worry over the little improvements. The hardest stuff you're already pretty good at. These little adjustments should be reasonably quick and not too difficult to integrate. But once you do, you'll notice that a tiny improvement goes a looong way...
Fucking love it im PMing all my sparing videos to you. I love all forms of criticism as long as its contructive and helps me improve. Glad to see its not just a bunch of dudes blowing smoke up eachothers asses here

I would actually advice practicing your infighting with this guy. You have a solid grasp of the rest, but I did not like the infighting.

You know mods complain about posting stuff in the wrong forum but anything I piat in here get 0 traffic or replies. Hard to get opinions if nobody really sees the posts
This is one of the only subs where guys know what they're talking about. You can as such have here a nugget of gold or then barrel of coal elsewhere. I'd say it's your call but you haven't much a choice in the matter. :p

Keep the training updates and clips coming. *clink

Back