Likelihood: Trump loses in 2020, accepts the vote as legit, and cleanly transfers power?

I didn’t say they would help a transition though, so your point about my misunderstanding is wrong. I am only talking about Trump.

Do you think that those guys would allow Trump to just not step down if he lost? Do you think Trump is really running the show in the first place? Don't be silly. Trump is and always has been a figurehead.

Do you think that those guys would allow Trump to just not step down if he lost? Do you think Trump is really running the show in the first place? Don't be silly. Trump is and always has been a figurehead.
Of course Trump is "running the show". He appointed those guys and can replace them. Not sure how this relates to what I said though.

Of course Trump is "running the show". He appointed those guys and can replace them. Not sure how this relates to what I said though.

I explained what it had to do with what you said. Do you think Trump looked around and said "yes, these two high ranking, totally non-partisan Generals will be the key to the type of government a dude like me is trying to build"?

I think it is more likely that Trump flees the country or resigns in disgrace before he has an opportunity to run. But if he does lose a subsequent election, I pray to god he makes a federal issue of it. Then maybe we can finally get loyalty oaths from the Trump loyalists so that the country can be certain of their allegiance to the Constitution. ...of the USA, not Russia.

You know what I'd like to see before I die? Somebody lose an election, then complain that the problem was actually the electoral college, then have the audacity to claim that the real reason they lost is because our system is really just flawed to it's core and has been since it's inception, and we should just redo all this bullshit anyway, all because they didn't win. I'd really love to see that happen before I die. It'd be even better if that hypothetical person's supporters would take that idea up as if it was a real fucking position. Oh well, that'll probably never happen though. Too bad for me.

I explained what it had to do with what you said. Do you think Trump looked around and said "yes, these two high ranking, totally non-partisan Generals will be the key to the type of government a dude like me is trying to build"?
I have no fucking idea what is in Trump's head.

I have no fucking idea what is in Trump's head.

Because he doesn't really run things. He doesn't do the research. He gets things suggested to him and he's like "yeah, that'll work". I'd guarantee he'd never heard of Mattis or Kelly up until a few days prior to meeting them. Somebody put that in his head, and for the reasons I said. Those guys aren't politicans. They aren't yes men. They aren't sycophants.

Because he doesn't really run things. He doesn't do the research. He gets things suggested to him and he's like "yeah, that'll work". I'd guarantee he'd never heard of Mattis or Kelly up until a few days prior to meeting them. Somebody put that in his head, and for the reasons I said. Those guys aren't politicans. They aren't yes men. They aren't sycophants.
I agree with that, Trump doesn't think deeply about anything. All I said was that I can easily picture Trump making a transition more difficult for an incoming president by tweeting and undermining that person and also failing to discuss important things.

I'm not saying the patriotic folks in this administration will do the same. My gut was say guys like Mattis and Kelly would help the transition.

I agree with that, Trump doesn't think deeply about anything. All I said was that I can easily picture Trump making a transition more difficult for an incoming president by tweeting and undermining that person and also failing to discuss important things.

Like Obama's been doing since he left office?

[/QUOTE]I'm not saying the patriotic folks in this administration will do the same. My gut was say guys like Mattis and Kelly would help the transition.[/QUOTE]

Those guys are there in my opinion to keep Trump in line more than because their "his" guys in my opinion.

We're waiting for you to provide proof for your claim (s) in post #208. Don't be scared, homie.

Just tell us you believe Weinstein got railroaded and believe both he and Trump's accusers are gold-digging liars. That will save time.

Just tell us you believe Weinstein got railroaded and believe both he and Trump's accusers are gold-digging liars. That will save time.
You made the claim. Don't be scared, homie.

Like Obama's been doing since he left office?

Obama has been harmless. I was thinking more like what Trump did to Obama before getting into office, like his claim that Obama's entire presidency was illegitimate. That kind of thing.

And does the whataboutism make you dizzy? That shit is going around these days may want to get it checked out.

Those guys are there in my opinion to keep Trump in line more than because their "his" guys in my opinion.

True of Kelly for sure, not sure about Mattis.

The guy is the largest sack of shit, a complete embarrassment, handed the world to China, and is a cunt hair, but he's going to be the president in 2020 for one reason......

The Democrats are a disorganized bunch of fucktards. There isn't a single Democratic leader I can see winning. Not one of them has a chance.

Also, most of the American electorate are a bunch of morons.
Who would have give Donald Trump a snowball’s chance in hell in 2013?

There’s time. A lot depends on the midterms, too.

That's actually an interesting question. Given everything we've seen so far, if Trump loses a reelection bid, does he transfer power gracefully? I'd gamble on "no".

I find it interesting because one of the hallmarks of our continued success with democracy is that our power transfers go smoothly. I've never considered what happens if someone doesn't go gracefully and quietly into the night.

There are to many checks on the President for one to not transfer power smoothly. Nothing Trump is or could do is going to change that.

If you were a betting person, what would you place the odds of Donald Trump running for reelection in 2020, losing the electoral college vote, and then (i) publicly conceding and (ii) acknowledging the election as legitimate and untainted? This would produce a sequence of events akin to every other change in administration in US history, notwithstanding impeachment or assassination.

I figure it's (80% that he makes it through four years without impeachment) x (70% that he runs for reelection) x (75% that he loses the election) x (40% that he recognizes the election as legitimate) x (80% that he nevertheless yields to a transfer of power to the next administration).

.8 x .7 x .75 x .4 x .8, for a grand total of 13%

And, yes, this is a un-substantive, vapid Trump discussion.
He is the king of bullshit. Anything could happen.

Back