Limitations of Sport Grappling?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TrevorRoss, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Thaijitsu612

Thaijitsu612 Brown Belt

I kinda hate the taser too. It can be a good tool but has a 50% success rate at best. I've never used mine personally, and its pretty uncommon department wide, but over reliance used to be a huge issue.

2. westfield

westfield White Belt

Clinch is risky.

The other guy can knee you in the balls.

I had it happen to me during sparring. Yes he's not supposed to but it's not like he had to pay a fine when he did.

3. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

You DO have to pay a fine if you knee a cop in the balls in a sf (resisting arrest) scenario.

4. AnotherOldGuy

AnotherOldGuy Purple Belt

According to published police statistics in my area (and I suspect most districts release local statistics) 80% of self-defense situations involve defense against weapons.

Meaning anything which doesn't concentrate on defense against the most common (and most dangerous) kinds of attacks has got huge holes in its applicability.

Unarmed fighting is sport. Humans have used weapons for serious fighting (like self-defense) for several hundred thousand years. Real self defense involves reading the situation and avoiding the attack before it starts, running when the attack starts, using your own weapons if the above aren't possible.

mataleaos likes this.
  5. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

Source, please?

6. mataleaos

mataleaos Purple Belt

This seems right. There's a youtube channel I think called active self protection and the guy breaks down real incident videos of all sorts of scenarios: scuffles, car jackings, domestic disturbances, home invasions, traffic stops, high risk warrants, people attempting suicide-by-cop, you name it. There are all sorts of outcomes ranging from everyone goes home safe, to attacker gets injured or killed, to defender gets injured or killed. Most of the footage is from security cameras, cell phones, body cams, or dashboard cams. Many of the videos involve deadly force but some don't.

I've watched tons of them and very few have involved an attacker without a weapon. The ones that don't involve an attacker with a weapon usually involve a man beating on a woman. So I don't know the stats but I'd be interested to know in unarmed attacks how many are man on man vs man on woman.

AnotherOldGuy likes this.
  7. shunyata

shunyata Black Belt

Clinch is awesome but you need to have experience with clinch as if it were mma or else yeah, uppercuts, elbows, and knees will rudely surprise you.

8. rmongler

rmongler Brown Belt

Most physical scuff-a-mucks that someone might be likely to get into over the course of their life aren't 'self-defense situations', so defined (or so reported).

9. AnotherOldGuy

True enough, but the thread started specifically said self-defense, rather than school yard scuffles.

10. AnotherOldGuy

Phone your local police department, they'll have the stats.

11. rmongler

rmongler Brown Belt

Of course, but these sorts of threads in general tend to be perennially hamstrung by tunnel vision/lack of overall perspective, in one facet or another.

12. AnotherOldGuy

Fair enough, I was responding to what he asked. In terms of unarmed scuffling about, sport BJJ is excellent, and in practice better than judo, wrestling, boxing, muy thai etc because its both very effective (all of them are against untrained people) and lets you stop your opponent without seriously hurting them (throws/takedowns can do serious unintentional damage if someone lands on their head, and of course striking always can have unexpectedly severe consequences). This latter point is vital - seriously injuring someone in an unarmed scuffle is going to bring the law down on you, and even if you win in court, it'll cost a lot in lawyer's fees.

13. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

I think Penn used that to take the back of Hughes in their second fight (Octo Guard). Could be wrong though.