Limited sparring

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So my old gym that I first started at didn't have sparring after class. We just had a 2 hr sparring class every Tuesday where we could apply our techniques, then an open mat on Friday. At the time I thought this was totally normal. When I started at my new gym a couple years ago, where we had regular sparring every day, the way my old gym did it suddenly seemed crazy to me. I feel like I'd lose my mind now if we couldn't do sparring after instructional.

Not trying to bag on my old gym, but I'm genuinely curious, is there a tangible benefit to just having sparring once a week? In retrospect they seemed to play everything really conservatively and I'm not sure why

So my old gym that I first started at didn't have sparring after class. We just had a 2 hr sparring class every Tuesday where we could apply our techniques, then an open mat on Friday. At the time I thought this was totally normal. When I started at my new gym a couple years ago, where we had regular sparring every day, the way my old gym did it suddenly seemed crazy to me. I feel like I'd lose my mind now if we couldn't do sparring after instructional.

Not trying to bag on my old gym, but I'm genuinely curious, is there a tangible benefit to just having sparring once a week? In retrospect they seemed to play everything really conservatively and I'm not sure why

Maybe but unlikely.

The biggest benefit with rolling after drilling technique is reinforcement of said technique. If you drill it and then don't get to apply it, you might as well just have completely skip the drilling portion of the class

Maybe but unlikely.

The biggest benefit with rolling after drilling technique is reinforcement of said technique. If you drill it and then don't get to apply it, you might as well just have completely skip the drilling portion of the class

It makes me wonder how much faster I would've progressed if my gym had done everything traditionally. I was a college student at the time so I was going like 4-5 times a week.

Are you rolling or striking?

There is a huge benefit to striking sparring once a week: less likely to get TBI

Your old gym was a mcdojo, period

So if everything else was top quality, like the instructors were legit black belts, the level of instruction was pretty high level, we trained takedowns, it was open 7 days a week, the pricing was fair, etc... And the only blemish is that we had limited sparring, that counts as a mcdojo? I'm just curious

So if everything else was top quality, like the instructors were legit black belts, the level of instruction was pretty high level, we trained takedowns, it was open 7 days a week, the pricing was fair, etc... And the only blemish is that we had limited sparring, that counts as a mcdojo? I'm just curious

there is no legit black belt whos going to make you roll once a week, it doesnt exist.

How long u trained there? If u was new maybe they waited with the rolling.. In my grappling days it was rolling every day after technique and drills

Not at all, IMHO. Lots of very legit Judo schools have limited sparring for recreational / non competition track players. Hell, you can even see that written in the LTAD for Judo Canada.

There's lots of live training / limited drills that can be done that aren't all out sparring.

That would be quite frustrating to be honest, rolling is the most fun and exciting part of the class...

there is no legit black belt whos going to make you roll once a week, it doesnt exist.

We'll take it for what it's worth, but the main instructor did get his black belt from Chris haueter

Last edited:

Gyms normally limit sparring to keep membership $$$$ high. It's pretty false 'cause it gives a distorted impression of level and encourages guys who disappear as soon as the pace turns up to hang around.

To get around whitebelts a spazzing a gym can use positional sparring.

We'll take it for what it's worth, but the main instructor did get his black belt from Chris haueter

No idea who Chris is, but this black belt has a shaddy system, hell the whole point of bjj is to roll, can’t posssinle guess how much his students are going to suck

No idea who Chris is, but this black belt has a shaddy system, hell the whole point of bjj is to roll, can’t posssinle guess how much his students are going to suck

You have a point. if I remember right, the ppl my instructor promoted to brown and black were very good, they just spent lots and lots of time rolling outside scheduled class time, and had keys to the gym so they could come and go whenever they wanted.

It was kind of a ridiculous system looking back on it. The sense of community was great, and the kids classes were really good, but yeah I'm glad I switched when I did

Not a single idea who he was, is not a knock on him, just that I don’t know...

If you started there and didn't know any different then it would seem normal, but I can't imagine that anyone who previously trained would join a gym like that.

No rolling and no tapping make Homer go crazy.

Back