Linkedin is racist

Jballer

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Because they first and foremost suggest connections based only on ethnicity. How do I know this? I have an arabic surname (my father immigrated to the US in the 70s.) I work in the telecommunications field with very little, if any, middle eastern co-workers. I live, work, and went to school in the US. Yet who makes up 90% of my suggested connections? A bunch of people that live in foreign countries that work in completely unrelated fields including a good amount of islamic clergy/groups. This gets really annoying because anyone that adds me gets these“people have also added” contacts. I also seem to be getting adds from scam accounts originating in the middle east as well.

So screw Linkedin and their prejudiced algorithms. They should base things on work/education history rather than what they think my ethnicity is. Linkedin is a useful tool for many, but for me it’s nothing but a source for junkmail level BS.

i dont get it, how can it be racist when the suggested contacts are the ones from you college, grad schools, companies you have worked for, and other shit like that

So TS are you that guy they always transfer me to when I call customer service? That one that sounds like Apu from the Simpsons?

i dont get it, how can it be racist when the suggested contacts are the ones from you college, grad schools, companies you have worked for, and other shit like that
That’s my point. Those contacts are almost non-existent in my suggestions. Instead I get random people halfway across the globe.

TS clings to a laughably social-justice-themed definition of racism.

Are you implying that LinkedIn is somehow discriminating against you or antagonizing you?

So TS are you that guy they always transfer me to when I call customer service? That one that sounds like Apu from the Simpsons?
You seem to be confusing telecommunications for people on the telephone. Understandable mistake.

TS clings to a laughably social-justice-themed definition of racism.

Are you implying that LinkedIn is somehow discriminating against you or antagonizing you?
Yes. Linkedin got me triggered.

ISIS confirmed, reporting thread to FBI

Racism doesn't always throw up barriers ts. Sometimes it throws up opportunities.

Change you name to Ari Steinberg or something like that

Funny. I get suggestions based on similar careers or contacts in common.
Even *GASP* people of other ethnicities.

You seem to be confusing telecommunications for people on the telephone. Understandable mistake.
Nah, I just saw through your attempt to make your customer service job sound more important than it really is.

Nice try, Achmed

LinkedIn is great. If anything its the preferred method to get employment. Recruiters and employers are on LinkedIn as a priority, then the other sites after.

How are you portraying yourself? I have friends who are mideast and have gotten jobs from it.

Nah, I just saw through your attempt to make your customer service job sound more important than it really is.

Nice try, Achmed
You’re also confusing middle eastern with Indian. It’s cool again though, easy mistake.

LinkedIn is great. If anything its the preferred method to get employment. Recruiters and employers are on LinkedIn as a priority, then the other sites after.

How are you portraying yourself? I have friends who are mideast and have gotten jobs from it.
Nothing I’m portraying myself as that coworkers in similar positions aren’t. Which is part of my conclusion here.

You’re also confusing middle eastern with Indian. It’s cool again though, easy mistake.
The only thing I said that references India is Apu and I was only mentioning the way he sounded.

C'mon, Akbar

The only thing I said that references India is Apu and I was only mentioning the way he sounded.

C'mon, Akbar
Well typically customer service call centers are in India. But not everyone are geography experts so once again, easy mistake.

Well typically customer service call centers are in India. But not everyone are geography experts so once again, easy mistake.
Oh, you think call centers only show up in India?

Also, what you're describing in the OP isn't racism, Ja'far.

Back