listrahtes learning boxing thread

Honestly sometimes you should just ask someone instead of making your theories about them. I know a lot about running in general and teach this on a regular basis. I ALSO wrote in my initial post that I paused boxing for pure running. This includes 200m intervall sprints etc. My son is a track & field athlete at jumping and sprinting. How can you even write I should learn "proper sprinting" if you have never seen me sprint or even asked me about it.

You also wrote about me copying pro boxers when I never wrote something like that or even aspired to. You wrote I have no proper instruction when I wrote in my post that I have good coaches. I do really appreciate the internet as it broadens my horizon in boxing a lot. Its a little strange with you. I am thankful that you want to help but really just ask sometimes instead of putting out things like that.

And I dont really like how all this derails my thread. All this stuff between you and Sano has nothing to do with me training and I in general dont think these kind of passive agressive posts help anyone. This is about learning boxing, not what Sano does wrong (thats his business).
Well I'm sorry for derailing your post but the reason I brought sano up is because you were both doing the same thing, putting a lot of weight on your heels and striking the ground with your heels when you step/punch. Compare sanos shadow boxing videos to yours and you'll see what I mean.

The reason I said you should learn proper sprinting is because the way you move while you Shadow box. It looks like you don't know how to sprint. You wouldn't strike the ground with your heels while sprinting because you need to generate power and forward momentum... So why would you strike the ground with your heels while stepping/punching in boxing? I'm assuming because no one has made this correction with you.

We already have the resident expert in the thread sinister, maybe he can back me up on these observations/corrections or can tell me where I'm wrong and put you on the right track himself.

Honestly I'm not sure how I'm coming across as passive aggressive, if I did I apologize.

Last edited:
Needing to be on the balls of the feet at all times is a myth. Just sayin'. No balance or power? If that was true no one would be able to perform squats or deadlifts with their feet flat and remain upright. Heels only need to lift or drop based on the need for rotational force, but the notion of a need to keep both heels elevated at all times is unrealistic, and compromises position to receive force, which in striking is just as important as delivering force.

thats well said, i have come across quite a bit of debate in the MT world of flat foot vs on the balls of your feet. you will sometimes need to be flat, sometimes on the ball.

I guess this is a thing I see with some people on this forum. They train without proper instruction and they rely on watching professional fighter videos to guage their own technique, which will set you up for failure.

I'm a big proponent of at home workouts but you really need proper instruction to guide you.

In the other thread, sano was arguing with one poster about his unbalanced stance, citing Mayweather and a more traditional Karate stance as his influnece and explanation for having most of his weight off center and to the rear. When in reality his stance is a product of putting his weight on his heels.

Citing someone like Mayweather... Or any high level professional for that matter for beginners is flawed IMO. High level pros have mastered the fundamentals of striking to a point where their fundamentals may be really hard to spot.

Case in point, sano references Mayweather that he often has his weight loaded to the rear and appears to have his feet flat on the ground, which he does a lot. The reality is ifif y could see his actual weight distrabution, most of his weight would be on the ball, not the entire foot. Even when he pulls hard to the rear.
heaps of good boxers fight with their weight on their back foot, also most good punchers fight from a flat footed stance. @Sano was right arguing with with that guy about weight distribution as only lead hookers and pressure fighters fight with a front foot heavy stance. the vast majority of counter punchers and fighters with big right hands fight off the back foot. without weight transferal there is no real power, so if your throwing the right without planting the back foot your not maximising power.

Last edited:
Hm strange ,did not feel like it other than few instances. Especially my Jab I try to always to land front foot. Will keep that in mind thx. Its less flat footed than some time ago but I guess still ways to go.
i wouldn't worry about that guy too much. your footwork looked fairly good, although you were standing a little to square (for boxing) with the feet a bit too close together at the start. you looked a lot better as you warmed up and started pending at the knees more. apart from that i would step back to your right a bit more at the end of your combos. you seem to finish your combos circling to the left fairly often and this can lead to getting caught with a right if you become predictable. you look like you have a nice lead uppercut, but i would look to draw them on to the right cross more often. if you what to be an offence first fighter i would definitely work on that left hook.

heaps of good boxers fight with their weight on their back foot, also most good punchers fight from a flat footed stance. @Sano was right arguing with with that guy about weight distribution as only lead hookers and pressure fighters fight with a front foot heavy stance. the vast majority of counter punchers and fighters with big right hands fight off the back foot. without weight transferal there is no real power, so if your throwing the right without planting the back foot your not maximising power.
Been a while since this thread was happening but in that time I've strenghtened my original position.

Balls of the feet are optimal, obviously there are times when you can relax a little but when you move you should be striking the ground with the ball of the foot. If your lead heel is striking the ground first when you jab you will have no snap.

Which goes right into my next counter point where you mention weight transfer. When you transfer your weight from your back foot to front foot while throwing that jab why would you press off your back heel? That doesn't even make sense from a power, or balance, or effeciency standpoint.

Fighting on the balls of your feet has nothing to do with where your weight is distributed. You can have you weight distributed to the rear or to the lead leg and still utilize the correct part of your foot.

Last edited:
Been a while since this thread was happening but in that time I've strenghtened my original position.

Balls of the feet are optimal, obviously there are times when you can relax a little but when you move you should be striking the ground with the ball of the foot. If your lead heel is striking the ground first when you jab you will have no snap.

Which goes right into my next counter point where you mention weight transfer. When you transfer your weight from your back foot to front foot while throwing that jab why would you press off your back heel? That doesn't even make sense from a power, or balance, or effeciency standpoint.

Fighting on the balls of your feet has nothing to do with where your weight is distributed. You can have you weight distributed to the rear or to the lead leg and still utilize the correct part of your foot.
just wondering, how much boxing have you done. a lot of boxers fight with flat feet. you are correct about keeping your weight on the balls of your feet when moving, but it is unrealistic to keep this position at all times. also the jab should land before your front foot hits the ground, so it doesn't really matter how it lands as long as your balanced. one more thing, the heel contacting the ground first is the natural way people step therefore it is more efficient than trying to focus on landing on the toes. i'm not saying you are wrong, just that some of your facts are slightly miss represented.

also i don't transfer all my weight with the jab, i keep it positioned over the back foot so i can follow up with a hard right.

just wondering, how much boxing have you done. a lot of boxers fight with flat feet. you are correct about keeping your weight on the balls of your feet when moving, but it is unrealistic to keep this position at all times. also the jab should land before your front foot hits the ground, so it doesn't really matter how it lands as long as your balanced. one more thing, the heel contacting the ground first is the natural way people step therefore it is more efficient than trying to focus on landing on the toes. i'm not saying you are wrong, just that some of your facts are slightly miss represented.
I've been "striking" for almost 10 years and have been training boxing specifically for the last 3 years under a USA certified coach.

https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-techniques/boxing-footwork/10-boxing-footwork-tips

The first vid in this link illustrates the point I'm trying to make I guess. Yes you strike with the heel of your foot when you walk/jog, but when you skip rope or sprint you strike the floor with the balls of your feet to generate power and momentum, which is what you're trying to do when you punch.

I've been "striking" for almost 10 years and have been training boxing specifically for the last 3 years under a USA certified coach.

https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-techniques/boxing-footwork/10-boxing-footwork-tips

.The first vid in this link illustrates the point I'm trying to make I guess. Yes you strike with the heel of your foot when you walk/jog, but when you skip rope or sprint you strike the floor with the balls of your feet to generate power and momentum, which is what you're trying to do when you punch.
well i have boxed for seventeen years and i'm a flat footed power puncher, foot work has everything to do with avoiding punches and setting punches up, it doesn't have a lot of bearing on punching power. just watch any of the great punchers hit a bag. the likes of foreman, louis and marciano all planted the feet to punch. you would even hear old commentators say that a fighter was planting their feet to through power shots. also do fight tall or crouch a bit? just wondering because a lot of modern coaches advocate fighting tall, something old school boxers hated.

well i have boxed for seventeen years and i'm a flat footed power puncher, foot work has everything to do with avoiding punches and setting punches up, it doesn't have a lot of bearing on punching power. just watch any of the great punchers hit a bag. the likes of foreman, louis and marciano all planted the feet to punch. you would even hear old commentators say that a fighter was planting their feet to through power shots. also do fight tall or crouch a bit? just wondering because a lot of modern coaches advocate fighting tall, something old school boxers hated.
I've only ever fought in MMA fights and honestly my stance has gone through changes over the years. I trained TKD for a while and fought in more upright stance, and even kept that stance when I first started boxing. Shortly after I started though my grappling game was going g through some changes and I started fighting out of a much lower stance.

Barely taller than a wrestling stance at this point.

The first vid in this link illustrates the point I'm trying to make I guess. Yes you strike with the heel of your foot when you walk/jog, but when you skip rope or sprint you strike the floor with the balls of your feet to generate power and momentum, which is what you're trying to do when you punch.
the bloke has some good points but i don't agree with some of his material. i was just trying something, when i jab the ball lands first, when i cross the foot turns out more and the heel lands first.

I've only ever fought in MMA fights and honestly my stance has gone through changes over the years. I trained TKD for a while and fought in more upright stance, and even kept that stance when I first started boxing. Shortly after I started though my grappling game was going g through some changes and I started fighting out of a much lower stance.

Barely taller than a wrestling stance at this point.
i prefer the lower stance for wrestling and power punching, it is relatively easy to rise up if you what to kick.

Back