Lit up in boxing*

Lifeform

Donk Donkerson
Banned
Reaction score
As a beta male i have short arms.

Therefore in MMA when we train we start off boxing, then add kicks, then go into full MMA.

In the boxing aspect i get absolutely rinsed.

When i stick out my jab, all it does it open me up. All i have is the leaping left hook or big right hand. I need my opponent to think about kicks and takedowns as otherwise to me it is just a who has the longest arms competition and i lose every time. I have to make the fight a brawl because otherwise i just cant handle the other persons reach.

I would describe my style as slow and lumbering with 0 head movement but i am tough as nails, which actually works well against guys my size or smaller however if i fight a larger guy i get crushed.

Sherdog, please help me with my stand up - dont see myself ever fighting like DJ and wouldn't want to really, i like to throw down, but this doesn't work at all against larger opponents or people with longer arms.

Therefore in MMA when we train we start off boxing, then add kicks, then go into full MMA.

When i stick out my jab, all it does it open me up. All i have is the leaping left hook or big right hand. I need my opponent to think about kicks and takedowns as otherwise to me it is just a who has the longest arms competition and i lose every time. I have to make the fight a brawl because otherwise i just cant handle the other persons reach.

I would describe my style as slow and lumbering with 0 head movement but i am tough as nails, which actually works well against guys my size or smaller however if i fight a larger guy i get crushed.

Sherdog, please help me with my stand up - dont see myself ever fighting like DJ and wouldn't want to really, i like to throw down, but this doesn't work at all against larger opponents or people with longer arms.
all i can say is study rocky marciano. check out the way he used an active parry the bridge the gap.

A short-armed fellow like yourself shouldn't jab like an outfighter. That would be my guess as far as why you keep getting hit when you jab. Punch with your shoulder when you jab and step in. Better yet, double it up, then throw the right hand.

1. correct balance and footwork
2. use good form - chin tucked, elbows in, hands up, don't shove the jab and leave it out there - snap it and already have an exit strategy or a followup planned.
3. time him when he comes in

Watch some of the better aggressive jabbers do their work - Gennady Golovkin might be one of the best or the best as pure boxers go. For MMA, GSP was always pretty solid with his jab. Then I recommend shadowboxing; a lot.

A short-armed fellow like yourself shouldn't jab like an outfighter. That would be my guess as far as why you keep getting hit when you jab. Punch with your shoulder when you jab and step in. Better yet, double it up, then throw the right hand.

1. correct balance and footwork
2. use good form - chin tucked, elbows in, hands up, don't shove the jab and leave it out there - snap it and already have an exit strategy or a followup planned.
3. time him when he comes in

Watch some of the better aggressive jabbers do their work - Gennady Golovkin might be one of the best or the best as pure boxers go. For MMA, GSP was always pretty solid with his jab. Then I recommend shadowboxing; a lot.

Thank you for your help guys!

Work on timing, when you're slow, you need to. Everyone has to retract their limb after a strike, capitalize when that happens.

He's gotta reload his gun and you beat him when it gets there.

As a shorter fighter, practice your ring cutting and pressure.

An example of a fighter with short reach is Cody Garbrandt. He uses his shorter arms really well to actually win exchanges as short arms = quicker travel time and smaller angle.
It’s all about exploding forward to get in range to swing.
Another example is Mike Zambidis.
You WILL need to incorporate head movement, or you’ll end up being just a punching bag. The point isn’t to get hit 100 times in order to hit the other guy back 101. It’s also good to have a strong cardio base to keep pushing the pace and cutting the ring/cage on them and outlast the taller guys.
I can’t give any specific advice as I can really speak only for myself and my own style.
I’m a distance striker. I’m usually lengthier than most people (6’1) and manage to handily outbox/outstrike even more experienced shorter fighters. I do have trouble vs taller guys though. My head movement and footwork is geared towards getting out of range and quickly finding my way back in to counter (pull cross counter, pivoting lead hook counter, etc. Think Conor McGregor or Cedric Doumbe). This doesn’t always work against good tall opponents who do the same to me. When I do fight someone taller, I try to cut the ring and push forward, waiting for them to jab, which I immediately cross-counter. I also make use of blitzes after they extend and head for the body if only boxing.
That probably won’t work for you though, as it’s down to individual and skillset. My jab, cross and left hook are great, but I can’t set up or land uppercuts or brawl on the inside. You might be the opposite, etc etc.

To recap:
-Try to push forward and cut the cage.
-Explode/blitz forward with combinations when you sense an opportunity/they overextend.
-Use head movement. It takes practice and lots of drilling, and they need to be really subtle, especially to apply later in kickboxing as you can run into a kick with frantic slipping or bobbing.
-When you see they start leaning back too much or defending the head, go to the body, then use the threat of the body shot to set up head strikes.

Above all, drill and spar (smart and mostly light) in boxing. Join a boxing only gym if you gotta.

Good luck!

Many ways to close the distance. You're at a disadvantage fighting on the outside due to length but you'd be at an advantage in the pocket.

Ways to close the distance, head movement like Mike Tyson.

Or parry your way in or let them come to you and meet them halfway.
5f4017ccd1551383551c343666c263ce.gif

There's your problem. In pure boxing, if you're a shorter guy fighting taller guys, you better have active head movement to get inside. Imagine Tyson or Frazier without active head movement, they would have been nothing. Learn how to move your head, split the jab, cut the ring, you'll be fine.

OP,

Do not get discouraged. Most people when go to boxing get amazed how much you can get hit with hands, and how much they are not able to use their hands. You are thinking "Its only hands", but it is an art itself.

To begin with I would really advice a good guard. The easiest way to advance really is to put your hands up, step forward, at that jab or jab and cross for example with your guard and then fight in that range. It is really that simple - hands up, step forward, block, jab cross on your own.

Head movement and movement is important, but as a shorter fighter you will need to step in and fight so you better get used to block shots and move forward while blocking shots.

Next step is working on your offence. You are saying you have a jab and cross only. This is plenty. Get used to jab, body jab, double jab head, body jab and head jab, head jab and body jab, tripple jab. Add to that jab head and cross to the body, normal 1-2, jab to the body and cross to the head. As you see plenty of options.

Work on speedy 1-2-1-2 and 2-1-2. I have upped my game greatly by just adding these combos to my combos. I have tried a pretty simple game plan and it works just fine and I am sure it will work for you:
- good high guard
- dont be afraid to step in
- do simple jab or 1-2 combos
- do not run out of range or angle after the combo, but rather if I have found my range add a combo of 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2.
- run out of range or angle but be prepared to add another 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2.

Simple but works very well for me. And I am also a short guy for my weight, but my sparring partners which are not some pros, but one of them has an amateur experience ... all of them get overwhelmed by my sudden work rate with simple boxing and good guard.

Key is to learn to snap and bring hands back in defensive position asap. A lot of the punches in the additional combos - the 1-2-1-2 or 2-1-2 may be arm punches. I still have problems with doing them with proper technique when I try to speed them, but the most important part is that my head is protected.

Back