Little situation at my gim

Ogami

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, there's something that has been bothering me lately at my gim and wanted share...

So I'm a bown belt and have been been training for like 10 years... Had a knee injury (ACL surgery) and was out for like one year. Now I feel pretty good, almost 100%.

When I came back there was this new guy, big white belt with mma training experience, and he repetedly asked me to roll. I knew he injured a couple lf my teammates with leg attacks (nothing serious I think) and didn't really like his attitude, like he wanted to prove something, so I always said no to roll. The guy is also like 60 pounds heavier than me.

Now he's a blue belt, and lately he jokes with me like in a passive-agressive way, and today he insinuated I suck. I feel like I've got nothing to prove to anybody but that really upset me. Think I could take him but could get injured also...

Any of you had some similar stories?

Well, if you think you can take him on but not sure about your knees.

Ask the higher belts to roll with him and get him really tired.

Then you ask him for a roll but demand that leg locks are out as you are still recovering from surgery.

Problem solved.

Just imagine that you rolled with him and got injured. You will feel like an idiot.

Think of him as a 5-year-old kid. Would you try an prove something then? Would you be able to explain a kid why you do not want to roll with him? Just do the same.

We also have a guy like that one. I do not roll with him, and I do not care what he thinks about it.

You have nothing to prove. Stay healthy.

I can't believe he made it to blue belt with that attitude. At every gym I've trained at, they beat the ego out of whitebelts pretty hard

Hey guys, there's something that has been bothering me lately at my gim and wanted share...

So I'm a bown belt and have been been training for like 10 years... Had a knee injury (ACL surgery) and was out for like one year. Now I feel pretty good, almost 100%.

When I came back there was this new guy, big white belt with mma training experience, and he repetedly asked me to roll. I knew he injured a couple lf my teammates with leg attacks (nothing serious I think) and didn't really like his attitude, like he wanted to prove something, so I always said no to roll. The guy is also like 60 pounds heavier than me.

Now he's a blue belt, and lately he jokes with me like in a passive-agressive way, and today he insinuated I suck. I feel like I've got nothing to prove to anybody but that really upset me. Think I could take him but could get injured also...

Any of you had some similar stories?

LoL. Do it gangsta style and f *ck him up!!

But from my experience the head coach at your gym should set the tone. Usually if his attitude is that toxic and he already injured a couple of guys at your gym, he should have already been spoken to by your head instructor/gym owner.

If that is not the case for some reason, you might be the guy needed to put him (hard rolling wise, eventually say something) in his place since you're the veteran guy, high ranking member at your gym. I assume he is big and athletic, hopefully, your skilled enough to negate all that, despite your knee injury.

If he keeps on pestering you about rolling you might have to just say I can't roll with you right now because I'm recovering from knee surgery.

The 3,4 MMA guys/girls that have rolled through my gym have been respectful. It helps that my coach was also a MMA fighter as well I guess.

What's with all this, 'tell him no leg attacks', stuff? That's pretty weak guys. If he has a history of hurting people, then there's already an issue at the gym that the coach should address. However, people dictating the terms of a roll are just truly pathetic, imo.

I can't believe he made it to blue belt with that attitude. At every gym I've trained at, they beat the ego out of whitebelts pretty hard
The landscape has changed and there are now a lot more athletic students showing up with some knowledge of mma and jiu jitsu. Back in the day not everyone had seen it so for the first 3 months they were just figuring out why we were wearing pajamas. We have blue belts that were so good as white belts their ego has grown. They catch some 55 year old black belt and now they think it's easy. What makes it a no win is they don't care if they lose but their goal is to win. Meaning they will try to smash you on top when you reverse they let you tap them out just so they can start back on top.

Here's the deal. If you are injured and feel you might get hurt don't roll. If you feel like your ego might get hurt, roll. They may tap you out. But if you are a brown belt you have to know that you have gone through rough times and if you roll enough with them you will figure out their game.

Literally this maybe my story except I was out 3 years then 1 year and I know how you are feeling.

I agree. SMASH!!!!
why are you scared of his leglocks, trust your defense, then leglock the shit out of him instead.

There was this guy that used to train at my gym once in a while, douchebag, I don't like rolling with him cause he gets pissy and starts being crazy if you submit him or get the better of him. So I refuse to roll with him, even if i do roll, i would just defend and not attack.

Then I got promoted to purple before him, He would talk massive shit to others saying I sucked. Probably went on for a year or so (I didn't know about it until later). On the day of a comp, he was in my division, my teammate told me He's been talking shit all this time. So when I fought him in the finals, I ran a clinic on him and took gold. I think to this day, he still talks shit about me lol. but whatever man.

not sure if you did it on purpose, but GYM, seeing gim bothers me a little.

OP is in a tough spot in terms of his ego. His dilemma is he doesnt want to feel like a pussy for tapping early to a leg lock to a guy who has a douchy personality. I would bet anything that the guy in question actually does respect the tap, but people dont tap early enough. In my experience, thats how 99% of people get hurt; they wait too long and try to fight out of a position and they mis-time it. The real kicker is I bet OP is better at BJJ than this dickwad, but has possibly even or less leg lock ability.

If he ever threatens with a sub, you walk him through the submission and tap.

What's with all this, 'tell him no leg attacks', stuff? That's pretty weak guys. If he has a history of hurting people, then there's already an issue at the gym that the coach should address. However, people dictating the terms of a roll are just truly pathetic, imo.

You realise that he just had surgery on his acl and said he was not hundred percent.

Lol

I agree. SMASH!!!!
why are you scared of his leglocks, trust your defense, then leglock the shit out of him instead.

There was this guy that used to train at my gym once in a while, douchebag, I don't like rolling with him cause he gets pissy and starts being crazy if you submit him or get the better of him. So I refuse to roll with him, even if i do roll, i would just defend and not attack.

Then I got promoted to purple before him, He would talk massive shit to others saying I sucked. Probably went on for a year or so (I didn't know about it until later). On the day of a comp, he was in my division, my teammate told me He's been talking shit all this time. So when I fought him in the finals, I ran a clinic on him and took gold. I think to this day, he still talks shit about me lol. but whatever man.

not sure if you did it on purpose, but GYM, seeing gim bothers me a little.

You forgot to mention he is in the mafia.

You realise that he just had surgery on his acl and said he was not hundred percent.

Lol
He said after he came back from surgery after a year and white belt was talking trash. That white belt is now a blue belt. Its been well over a year.

I'm in a similar situation to yours. Brown belt, history of knee injuries, occasionally train with dudes who interpret my unwillingness to risk injury as some kind of cowardice.

Fuck him. Let him think what he wants. Whether or not he thinks you're scared of him has no bearing on your BJJ. You train how and with whom you stay healthy. If he escalates some kind of drama over that, then it's an issue for the head instructor.

Lol

You do realize he said it was over a year ago, he is a brown belt, and an adult that is asking a forum about his hurt ego?

Lol

Back