Loaned a friend cash, worried he might not pay in time

So anyone with real advice or is it just a bunch of blowhards in thread?

Yeah, the real advice is don't fucking loan money unless you're entirely fine with never seeing it again. You are entirely at his mercy. Stop changing the deal. Don't do it again.

I see this all the time.. "dont loan a friend money".
But who else should you lend money to?
If you cant trust your friends , because thats what it comes down to, why be friends?
I am not saying I am lending money to my friends, but I do find it interesting the whole "dont lend money to friends".

Have you never heard: never mix business with pleasure?

Anything you give should be freely given, it's not that you shouldn't give your friends shit, you should just give it too them, later they can help you out if they want. The problem is people treat friendship like a business deal and it neglects the reality of the situation.

I don't "loan" money to friends, I just give it, I don't expect it back.

Let em repay you with sexual favors if it helps to save the friendship

$1400 principal + 20% interest for a year. $1680 in total.

Should I get my lawyer cousin/friend involved?

LMAO. I'm gonna guess you don't have a UCC-1 document in place so don't bother.

You loan money to a friend, just consider it a gift.

I see this all the time.. "dont loan a friend money".
But who else should you lend money to?
If you cant trust your friends , because thats what it comes down to, why be friends?
I am not saying I am lending money to my friends, but I do find it interesting the whole "dont lend money to friends".
Yeah, I agree.
If you can't loan money to a friend, then who can you loan money to?
We're talking about a real friend here, not just some guy you barely know. There are limits of course, and how much I potentially give them is going to depend on why they need it, but I don't understand the mentality of never letting a friend borrow money.
If he just wants to buy a new flat screen then he can fuck off and get a part time job , but if he actually needs it for something, then i'm going to help a brother out.

For TS, I would have asked this friend why he "would rather pay in October". I'd rather do a lot of things later too, but my creditors aren't going to wait 4 months because I "would rather pay later" .
October is still a ways away. My concern would be that something happens between now and then, and now all of a sudden he has to postpone again. Oh, and then Xmas is coming out...how about begining of next year, bro? He should have a solid reason for delaying payment. "I would rather" wouldn't cut it for me.

Didn't he have any useless old gold lying around that he could have mailed away for cash?

Take him to small claims court or forget it

Hound him relentlessly until he starts paying you back.

Phone him at least once a day asking where the money is, you gotta keep that pressure on don't let him get away with it.

Then start making house calls.

Or just start paying you back in regular $100 dollar installments, don't let him dictate the terms unless it gets you your money back sooner.

If you weren't that close to him to start with why did he come to you for money?

Shakespeare been schooling you guys to the game for like 400 years:

"Never a borrower nor a lender be,
For lend oft loses both itself and friend
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."

Never ever loan people money. I helped a friend buy a bike and he didnt pay me so I repoed it. Fucker waited a year to when he got stationed in Afghanistan and got his wife power of attorney to take me to court. Lying bitch said they didnt know they were behind on payments and my dipshit lawyer believed them. By him waiting that long I forgot about the call where he said he couldnt pay me. Prick got the bike back after he paid me what he owed but I didnt get repo fees back. My lawyer was so dirty and felt filthy just being around him. I sent that voicemail to his lawyer and said congrats little man you helped a liar.

What percent of the business did you acquire with this investment?

Yeah, I agree.
If you can't loan money to a friend, then who can you loan money to?
We're talking about a real friend here, not just some guy you barely know. There are limits of course, and how much I potentially give them is going to depend on why they need it, but I don't understand the mentality of never letting a friend borrow money.
If he just wants to buy a new flat screen then he can fuck off and get a part time job , but if he actually needs it for something, then i'm going to help a brother out.

For TS, I would have asked this friend why he "would rather pay in October". I'd rather do a lot of things later too, but my creditors aren't going to wait 4 months because I "would rather pay later" .
October is still a ways away. My concern would be that something happens between now and then, and now all of a sudden he has to postpone again. Oh, and then Xmas is coming out...how about begining of next year, bro? He should have a solid reason for delaying payment. "I would rather" wouldn't cut it for me.

Exactly, I've loaned loads of friends money and they've all paid back.

Wouldn't lend to certain friends though.

Back