Local "Rapper" kills Deputy Sheriff in Rancho Cordova (Greater Sacramento Area)

The left were the only people making a stink about the Patriot Act. You're misinformed, as usual.
Until your beloved Obama chose to extend it (despite campaigning against it). Twice. And then your beloved Obama made it legal for citizens to be detained without due process. Which you didn't have a problem with (shockingly).

Yep. Then Obama robo-signed the renewal and the left promptly stfu about it. Snowden's whistle-blowing couldn't even get them worked back up. I wonder what % of Democratic primary winners have an anti-Patriot Act plank in their platform for this election cycle. My guess would be not many.
People like him stopped caring about civil liberties sometime in January 2009. Weird, huh?

Time served and sentencing in federal cases are nearly the same. Unlike state cases, there's no getting out on parole after 50% of time served. The prison has some ability to issue credits for exemplary good behavior, but this doesn't become relevant until after the first year, and no more than 15% of the remaining sentence.
Classification of felonies vary quite a bit from state to state, and clearly those in possession (with criminal histories) are subject to a wide range of actual time served.

Libertarians despised the Patriot Act. Leftists are in here openly admitting they are interested in protecting problem populations that foster violent cop-killers. These are the same people who would worry more about thwarting intelligent policing of those residents Molenbeek and Schaerbeek than on preventing mass terrorist attacks. It's not until a ton of people get killed at a concert in Paris that somebody in government finally tells these types to shut up, and goes and solves the problem.
Maybe because eroding the rights of some Americans inevitably means eroding all our rights? Create a legal infrastructure to fuck over the "problem population" and you open up the possibility of it being turned against you.

In other words, some of us aren't blinded by hysteria and would rather not relinquish more rights and more power to the government.

They sure as fuck actively campaign to undermine the 2nd Amendment.
Yep, and they'll claim that white gun owners didn't have a problem with additional gun control until the black guy was POTUS, completely ignoring what went down in the mid 90s.

Maybe because eroding the rights of some Americans inevitably means eroding all our rights? Create a legal infrastructure to fuck over the "problem population" and you open up the possibility of it being turned against you.

In other words, some of us aren't blinded by hysteria and would rather not relinquish more rights and more power to the government.
I hope you aren't a gun controll. Can't have it both ways.

I'm not proposing infringements to the Constitution, so any who aren't fully supportive of the 2nd Amendment can retire this argument, immediately. These suggestions don't threaten the Fourth Amendment.

Welcome to being a libertarian. It's actually a pretty cool club.

Republicans wrote the patriot act and called anyone who opposed it Terrorists, now the delusional are trying to blame the Democrats for it? Does not get anymore delusional than this.

Uh huh . . . let's just get rid of due process for everyone.

“If you’re too dangerous to fly, you are too dangerous to buy a gun.”
–Hillary Clinton

Classification of felonies vary quite a bit from state to state, and clearly those in possession (with criminal histories) are subject to a wide range of actual time served.
Yes, but I'm talking about federal sentences, because that is what you linked to. Federal courts use the same sentencing rules no matter what state they are in.

Also, the feds use their own definition to determine whether someone is a felon. They don't rely on the state definition because, as you noted, those vary quite a bit from state to state.

Well that's not true but I know what you mean. In reality, everyone that wasn't drinking the republican kool-aid was making a stink about the Patriot Act.
Time does strange things. When I was younger, I opposed the PATRIOT Act and the idea of invading Iraq, so people called me a liberal. Now, I support the 2A and the idea that no one should be judged as a member of their group (race, gender, religion, disability, etc) and only as an individual, so people call me a conservative. I wonder what I'll be tomorrow?

Should this go into a "rappers behaving badly" megathread?

Who would you guys call when you need assistance from a dangerous threat? Police, no? For them to speed to ensure your safety, right?

The honest answer is yes. Violent felonies happen so much more often than mass shootings that it isn't even comparable. That is a much higher priority on the pole.
So terrorism in Europe is no biggie compared to other crime, then?

Yes, very classy <Gordonhat>
We would offer you some snacks and the alcoholic beverage of your choice, but we won't give you any because we're afraid you'll just mooch off the rest of us. Bring your own snacks and drinks, you lazy bastard!

Back