Lomachenko lacks a counter punch.

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
as good as he is, lomachenko completely lacks any kind of strong counter punch. he is either attacking with combos at angles or back pedalling on the defence. he never plants for a strong counter left, or a check hook with the right. in that regard i kinda consider his style a little amateurish. good counterpunching is one of the cornerstones of defence in professional boxing. if he doesn't develop a strong counter he will struggle with pressure fighters with good power. i wouldn't favour him against davis or even in a rematch with salido.

He was the greatest amateur of all time, except he uses the bait and switch a lot , so that's a counter technique, not quite the same as a catch & counter or timing the punch but it's effective.

I dont think stinging guys with counters would work at this weight or with his style, best to bamboozle them with movement and speed and overwhelm with volume like he's done in the past

He needs a counter? News to me.

I think others have mentioned this on here before. If I remember correctly, they were stating it would hurt him on the scorecards.

Anyways,

With his high amount of movement and output of punches, he needs to manage his gas tank carefully. Adding in more power counters, would change up the dynamic he is current using - Which is clearly working at the moment.

Didn't work on Salido :eek:

He needs a counter? News to me.
every defensive boxer needs a counter in the pro ranks. otherwise how do you slow down mauling pressure fighters. if lomanchenko wants to keep circling out without throwing the occasional counter, an aggressive fighter will just keep chasing him until he slows down and starts getting tagged. his style is great for the amateurs, but in the pros that much movement is a waste of energy if you not making your opponent hesitate on the attack. he does best against sharp boxers that hate missing punches, his movement frustrates them and they stop committing to their attacks. against a fighter that doesn't mind missing two to land one and keeps up the pace, he could have serious problems.

Well, Loma's team have put him on this pedestal, he'll taste a real defeat soon enough.

every defensive boxer needs a counter in the pro ranks. otherwise how do you slow down mauling pressure fighters. if lomanchenko wants to keep circling out without throwing the occasional counter, an aggressive fighter will just keep chasing him until he slows down and starts getting tagged. his style is great for the amateurs, but in the pros that much movement is a waste of energy if you not making your opponent hesitate on the attack. he does best against sharp boxers that hate missing punches, his movement frustrates them and they stop committing to their attacks. against a fighter that doesn't mind missing two to land one and keeps up the pace, he could have serious problems.

First...he’s not a “defensive boxer”.
Second...he counters occasionally, but he’s leading most of the time so, you want him to counter his own lead? I mean wtf.

Well, Loma's team have put him on this pedestal, he'll taste a real defeat soon enough.
i don't know about that. he might certainly lose, but i doubt it will ever be for lack of focus or preparation. these people seem obsessed.

as good as he is, lomachenko completely lacks any kind of strong counter punch. he is either attacking with combos at angles or back pedalling on the defence. he never plants for a strong counter left, or a check hook with the right. in that regard i kinda consider his style a little amateurish. good counterpunching is one of the cornerstones of defence in professional boxing. if he doesn't develop a strong counter he will struggle with pressure fighters with good power. i wouldn't favour him against davis or even in a rematch with salido.
He's got a great left hand when he uses it. Did you not see the liver shot that he dropped Linares with?

And he counters loads off of head movement. He has a great check hook btw. He often counters with the jab and then follows that with the rear hand.

Last edited:
He's got a great left hand when he uses it. Did you not see the liver shot that he dropped Linares with?

And he counters loads off of head movement. He has a great check hook btw. He often counters with the jab and then follows that with the rear hand.[/QUOTE
i will have to watch a bit more, can't say i have watched a lot of his fights. i'm pretty sure that the left he landed on linares was in an aggresive combo.

Back