Lomachenko vs... wait for it...

From the later post that Dr.Will put up it looks like he's trapped in until 2020! That's not good.

I just looked this up myself. He signed a 5 year extension on April 30, 2015 where Fight Hype was on hand. So yeah, he's locked in until the second quarter of 2020 with Top Rank. Trying to battle them legally, if he were to go that route, would be a bad idea. He'd just be wasting a good part of what's left of his few remaining prime years. That and he said he would fulfill his contractual obligation to TR recently. Arum needs to get another date already and stop screwing this up for one of his top fighters and for us boxing fans.

Or, you know, it's a stat which shows how many people tuned in during the area of peak interest (i.e. when the fight is happening).

Which does nothing to tell us how many people are watching the overall fight, perhaps you had your own reason for bringin up the 4.4 peak. I'm only looking at the 3.1 bar raised by the Pac-Horn fight.

"i.e, when the fight is happening" A fight can be 30-40 minutes long. That's not how the peak is measured, bud. That's how you measure an average. A peak is effectively a single round of the fight.

Last edited:
Lomachenko is contracted until April 2020, aka the end of his prime.

Do your really buy that it's non-negotiable? It's a pathetic argument set forth by Bob Arum. December 9th had no specific meaning, nor did any of Lomachenko's other fights yet he fought on those dates.

It doesn't matter about NBA playoffs, boxing fans will always remain the main market for boxing matches, and they will watch Canelo-GGG 2 replay which will LOCK IN at least 600k views from the 800k+ that watched the first fight replay.

If it was on HBO, they would not clash. One will be played after the other. The HBO date was just to show that they can make the fight happen. What's wrong with pushing for a fight a week earlier or a week after? Nothing.

Yes, its non-negotiable. ESPN cares about its ratings, not HBO's ratings... If they want Loma fighting on May 12, they want Loma fighting on May 12. How is that hard to understand?

Why on earth would they give a crap about who tunes into to watch GGG-Canelo 2 on HBO replay? They're going for the bigger audience which is the casual ESPN audience. That's what their advertisers care about and paying for. They're not going to send off their prized and touted fighter to fight on HBO because of some folks they don't care about.

I just looked this up myself. He signed a 5 year extension on April 30, 2015 where Fight Hype was on hand. So yeah, he's locked in until the second quarter of 2020 with Top Rank. Trying to battle them legally, if he were to go that route, would be a bad idea. He'd just be wasting a good part of what's left of his few remaining prime years. That and he said he would fulfill his contractual obligation to TR recently. Arum needs to get another date already and stop screwing this up for one of his top fighters and for us boxing fans.
Yeah I'd like to think that Arum could (and was inclined to) convince ESPN to host the fight on another date but the argument @Sakuraba7 makes is compelling and makes sense: ESPN want the fight shown on May 12th to get the most viewers. I don't see them moving on that so I guess we won't be seeing Loma vs. Linares. SMH

Yeah I'd like to think that Arum could (and was inclined to) convince ESPN to host the fight on another date but the argument @Sakuraba7 makes is compelling and makes sense: ESPN want the fight shown on May 12th to get the most viewers. I don't see them moving on that so I guess we won't be seeing Loma vs. Linares. SMH

The latest news on this makes me want to grab some popcorn and a big gulp.

Then Arum added - "Linares has sent Golden Boy letters threatening a lawsuit. Maybe it can be resolved, maybe it can't be resolved. I don't want to abandon Linares in mid-stream until we realize it can't get done."

Which Eric Gomez, the president of Golden Boy Promotions, categorically denies.

''It's clear that Bob is desperate to get Lomachenko a real opponent but instead of playing games he should pick up the phone and call me and actually represent his fighter like a real promoter,'' Gomez responded.

''For the record we have not received a letter."

Gomez reiterated - "May 12th is not going to happen. We told Arum - and we made it very clear - if he wants to do it on HBO, no problem. HBO's willing to buy the fight. If he wants to do it on ESPN it has to be another date."

Last year Top Rank entered into an exclusive agreement with ESPN to broadcast their fights.

Arum has made it clear that he believes HBO Sports led by Peter Nelson helped kill this match-up for May 12th on ESPN. When asked if he believes this will be a continuing pattern, he said - "I can't answer for that. I just know that Nelson is skating on very thin ice in his own pond and he better watch his step. That's all I've got to say."
Lomachenko-Linares: Arum, Gomez Trade Words - No Date Budge

Wow, Bob is probably telling the truth this time!

Back