Social London apartment tower in flames

Grenfell Fire Inquiry Demands Radical Overhaul of U.K. Building Rules
By Richard Pérez-Peña | May 17, 2018

merlin_138138258_ab0e18ea-27f0-4930-b6f5-51a95195725e-articleLarge.jpg

LONDON — Britain’s building safety systems are a lax and confused mess in need of a major overhaul and much tougher enforcement, an investigator commissioned after the Grenfell Tower disaster reported on Thursday, but she did not recommend banning all flammable facades, a critical factor in that fire.

The report drew swift rebukes from survivors of the fire, which killed 71 people, and from Labour members of Parliament, who have demanded a ban on flammable cladding of the sort used on Grenfell Tower, a move the Royal Institute of British Architects has also endorsed. That cladding has long been prohibited in the United States for buildings above a certain height, and in some places it is banned entirely.

Judith Hackitt, the engineer commissioned by the Conservative government to conduct the investigation, acknowledged the need for “a radical rethink of the whole system and how it works.” But she also maintained that her mission was to assess the big picture, not myriad individual rules. As a result, her 159-page report did not address specific changes people have called for, like a cladding ban or requiring sprinklers and multiple fire stairs in high-rise buildings.

“This review is a betrayal and a whitewash,” said David Lammy, a Labour lawmaker who has become an outspoken government critic. “It is unthinkable and unacceptable that so many people can die in a disaster like Grenfell and one year on flammable cladding has not been banned.”

Shahin Sadafi, chairman of Grenfell United, a survivors’ group, told the BBC that he was “disappointed and saddened” but would keep pressing the government for a ban.

Despite the criticism, Ms. Hackitt’s report amounted to a striking indictment of property developers and related industries, and the officials who police them. The rules and practices for high-rise apartment buildings, in particular, she wrote, have put the quest to get things done “as quickly and cheaply as possible” ahead of safety while letting owners skirt even the inadequate standards that exist, with little fear of being caught or punished.

The fire at Grenfell Tower, in the North Kensington section of London, on June 14 last year, was a trauma felt nationwide — the deadliest blaze in Britain in more than a century, in a high-rise where residents’ complaints about unsafe conditions had gone unheeded. It prompted sharp debates about the government’s long retreat from business regulation, and about the yawning gap between rich and poor who are sometimes neighbors in this city.

The country has a tangled mix of systems governing building materials, design, construction and maintenance, and a jumble of weak enforcement bodies. That, Ms. Hackitt reported, allows builders, landlords, materials suppliers and even government regulators to pass off responsibility onto each other — to the point that they often do not understand or even read the rules they are supposed to be following or enforcing.

Ms. Hackitt, a former chairwoman of the Health and Safety Executive, a government agency, expressed particular scorn for certain elements of government oversight.

“Where enforcement is necessary, it is often not pursued,” she wrote. “Where it is pursued, the penalties are so small as to be an ineffective deterrent.”

And the testing and approval of construction materials, a critical issue in the Grenfell fire, “is disjointed, confusing, unhelpful, and lacks any sort of transparency.”

She recommended creation of an agency, focused at first on residential high-rises, that would assume all the government roles, make standards f tougher and clearer, and greatly step up enforcement and penalties.

Those shifts would require action by the government. A spokesman for Prime Minister Theresa May said the government would make needed reforms, but did not commit to any specifics.

The new system should not be built solely on a thicket of narrow rules, Ms. Hackitt argued, because a legalistic adherence to those rules could still result in buildings like Grenfell that were unsafe. Instead, she wrote, the system must start with the big picture, stating the required safety results — like how much time people have to get out of a building — that must also be met. A structure that complied with the detailed rules but still did not meet the safety goals would not be approved.

Grenfell, a 24-story block, had an aluminum facade with a flammable plastic core, which allowed flames to spread rapidly up the exterior. That kind of cladding was legal in Britain, but tests conducted after the blaze showed that it failed fire safety standards, raising questions about how it had ever been allowed.

After the tests last year, the government concluded that 228 high-rise buildings around the country had unsafe cladding and ordered it removed, but property owners balked at the cost. Mrs. May said recently that the government would provide $540 million to pay for the work.

But the government has not banned other types of cladding that are more fire-resistant, but not fireproof.

“This is most definitely not just a question of the specification of cladding systems,” Ms. Hackitt reports, “but of an industry that has not reflected and learned for itself.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/world/europe/uk-grenfell-fire-safety-cladding-regulations.html
I can't even believe England is that far behind in their building codes. Let alone fire suppression methods, laws and rules. Wtf.

Place is 3rd worldish in many ways but i infrastructure wise surprised me.

Have any charges been filed in this yet or has it been swept under the rug?

I see the inquiry started today.

I can't even believe England is that far behind in their building codes. Let alone fire suppression methods, laws and rules. Wtf.

Says the man from the country where the houses are glorified sheds...... 2by4s.....we literally build garden sheds with that

Like I said to Ruprecht earlier: the primary reason why consumer protection in the U.S is so far ahead of Europe now is because of our hyper-litigious nature. Politicians and businessmen here learned to not cutting corners when it comes to consumer safety, only so they wouldn't be sued into oblivion.

Lawyers this side of the Atlantic must be shaking their heads while looking through the long list of failures that lead to this tragedy after a decade of complaints falling on deaf ears, and the amount of chump change that the Grenfell victims gonna get, if they get anything at all.

Last edited:
These numbers make me want to vomit. British lives worth chump change according to British law.

Compensation for London’s Grenfell Fire Victims May Be Capped at $5M
October 18, 2017 by Tom Bergin

The bill for compensating families of those who died in the Grenfell Tower fire in London may be as low as 4 million pounds ($5 million), according to several lawyers and a Reuters analysis of how damages laws apply in England.

The blaze engulfed a 24-story social housing block in west London on June 14, killing an estimated 80 people in the country’s deadliest fire since World War Two.

While similar disasters in the United States have led to massive payouts, any compensation for Grenfell would be far lower because English laws offer less generous damages and don’t allow punitive claims, even if companies are found criminally responsible, said Brett Dixon, president of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).

The four main firms that have been linked to the Grenfell fire – U.S. companies Arconic Inc. and Whirlpool Corp. and Britain’s Harley Facades and Rydon Group – declined to comment on the size or calculation of potential payouts.

The Reuters calculation of a bill of 4 million pounds is based on the compensation amounts stipulated in the Fatal Accidents Act of 1976, precedents set in previous cases and the individual circumstances of the 70 victims identified so far.

Three personal injury lawyers have verified the methodology used by Reuters and said the estimate for the total payout is reasonable.

If the courts find there was no unlawful behavior by any of the companies or public bodies involved, victims will not be entitled to sue for compensation and would only get the financial support and temporary housing already provided by the government and public donations, personal injury lawyers said.

“The British judicial system is not renowned for being generous,” said Rebecca Thomas of law firm Duncan Lewis, which is representing some victims’ families.

“It’s not about money for the families,” said Tim Murphy, whose brother Denis, a disabled former painter who lived on the 14th floor, died in the fire. “Nothing can ease our pain, [but] I think it’s quite insulting.”

The U.S. legal system sees punitive damages as a way of encouraging companies to behave lawfully, but British and European governments have taken the view this approach would put excessive burdens on the judicial system, businesses, insurers and state bodies that might be liable, some legal experts say.

While APIL said the Grenfell Tower disaster demonstrated the inadequacy of payouts to victims, Duncan Fairgrieve, who has advised the UK government on compensation rules, said more generous payouts could also harm society.

They could drive up insurance costs for all and lead to big claims against government bodies such as the National Health Service and the police, he said.

“There is an affordability issue,” said Fairgrieve, a Senior Research Fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.

If the courts find someone was wrongfully killed, the claim categories are a flat 12,980 pounds per victim for bereavement, costs such as funeral bills, dependency damages where minors or dependent spouses are left behind, and property damage – all to be paid by the party found responsible.

Under the 1976 law, only family members who were supported by those who died can claim dependency damages. Reuters has identified only five people who died leaving dependents who could definitely claim damages – on the basis they were financially dependent on the deceased.

Daniel Machover, a lawyer at Hickman and Rose, which is representing some victims’ families, also said he didn’t expect there to be many claims.

Most of the others who died in the fire were minors, single or elderly and did not leave family members who were financially dependent upon them.

The biggest dependency payout will be for children who lost both parents, said lawyers representing some of the victims.

One five-year-old girl, Tasnim Belkadi, lost her mother, father and all her siblings in the fire.

Lawyers said she could get 300,000 pounds
, based on a share of her parents’ income and some childcare costs up to her 18th birthday. Her aunt, with whom she now lives, did not respond to requests for comment on the Reuters calculation.

Grenfell plaintiffs can also claim expenses they incurred as the result of a death, such as the cost of a modest funeral.

Heirs to the deceased could also claim the value of goods lost in the fire. The Association of British Insurers puts the cost of replacing the contents of an average three-bedroom home at 55,000 pounds.

However, Thomas said Grenfell claims would probably be less than 30,000 pounds per property because compensation is based on the market value of personal belongings rather than replacement value, and the flats destroyed had only one or two bedrooms.

https://amp.insurancejournal.com/news/international/2017/10/18/467881.htm

Last edited:

As long as the Qibla faces Petra, er, I mean Mecca all is good!

These numbers make me want to vomit. British lives worth chump change according to British law.

Compensation for London’s Grenfell Fire Victims May Be Capped at $5M
October 18, 2017 by Tom Bergin

The bill for compensating families of those who died in the Grenfell Tower fire in London may be as low as 4 million pounds ($5 million), according to several lawyers and a Reuters analysis of how damages laws apply in England.

The blaze engulfed a 24-story social housing block in west London on June 14, killing an estimated 80 people in the country’s deadliest fire since World War Two.

While similar disasters in the United States have led to massive payouts, any compensation for Grenfell would be far lower because English laws offer less generous damages and don’t allow punitive claims, even if companies are found criminally responsible, said Brett Dixon, president of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).

The four main firms that have been linked to the Grenfell fire – U.S. companies Arconic Inc. and Whirlpool Corp. and Britain’s Harley Facades and Rydon Group – declined to comment on the size or calculation of potential payouts.

The Reuters calculation of a bill of 4 million pounds is based on the compensation amounts stipulated in the Fatal Accidents Act of 1976, precedents set in previous cases and the individual circumstances of the 70 victims identified so far.

Three personal injury lawyers have verified the methodology used by Reuters and said the estimate for the total payout is reasonable.

If the courts find there was no unlawful behavior by any of the companies or public bodies involved, victims will not be entitled to sue for compensation and would only get the financial support and temporary housing already provided by the government and public donations, personal injury lawyers said.

“The British judicial system is not renowned for being generous,” said Rebecca Thomas of law firm Duncan Lewis, which is representing some victims’ families.

“It’s not about money for the families,” said Tim Murphy, whose brother Denis, a disabled former painter who lived on the 14th floor, died in the fire. “Nothing can ease our pain, [but] I think it’s quite insulting.”

The U.S. legal system sees punitive damages as a way of encouraging companies to behave lawfully, but British and European governments have taken the view this approach would put excessive burdens on the judicial system, businesses, insurers and state bodies that might be liable, some legal experts say.

While APIL said the Grenfell Tower disaster demonstrated the inadequacy of payouts to victims, Duncan Fairgrieve, who has advised the UK government on compensation rules, said more generous payouts could also harm society.

They could drive up insurance costs for all and lead to big claims against government bodies such as the National Health Service and the police, he said.

“There is an affordability issue,” said Fairgrieve, a Senior Research Fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.

If the courts find someone was wrongfully killed, the claim categories are a flat 12,980 pounds per victim for bereavement, costs such as funeral bills, dependency damages where minors or dependent spouses are left behind, and property damage – all to be paid by the party found responsible.

Under the 1976 law, only family members who were supported by those who died can claim dependency damages. Reuters has identified only five people who died leaving dependents who could definitely claim damages – on the basis they were financially dependent on the deceased.

Daniel Machover, a lawyer at Hickman and Rose, which is representing some victims’ families, also said he didn’t expect there to be many claims.

Most of the others who died in the fire were minors, single or elderly and did not leave family members who were financially dependent upon them.

The biggest dependency payout will be for children who lost both parents, said lawyers representing some of the victims.

One five-year-old girl, Tasnim Belkadi, lost her mother, father and all her siblings in the fire.

Lawyers said she could get 300,000 pounds
, based on a share of her parents’ income and some childcare costs up to her 18th birthday. Her aunt, with whom she now lives, did not respond to requests for comment on the Reuters calculation.

Grenfell plaintiffs can also claim expenses they incurred as the result of a death, such as the cost of a modest funeral.

Heirs to the deceased could also claim the value of goods lost in the fire. The Association of British Insurers puts the cost of replacing the contents of an average three-bedroom home at 55,000 pounds.

However, Thomas said Grenfell claims would probably be less than 30,000 pounds per property because compensation is based on the market value of personal belongings rather than replacement value, and the flats destroyed had only one or two bedrooms.

https://amp.insurancejournal.com/news/international/2017/10/18/467881.htm

I hate them using pounds. All these extravaganet fines remind me of Amy Schumer's weight.

Sadly this is no surprise -

Fire chief Dany Cotton: Response to Grenfell has been horrifying

London Fire Brigade Commissioner Dany Cotton said she is “absolutely horrified” that building safety is “not being taken seriously” two years after the Grenfell Tower fire.

In a second candid interview, Ms Cotton expressed anger at the Government’s “slow” response to the disaster, which killed 72 people in June 2017.

The fire chief made the comments after announcing that she intends to retire next year. LFB has been lobbying for a change in the law which would ensure sprinklers are mandatory in new residential buildings, as well as for robust building regulations.

But Ms Cotton said their advice was being ignored: “I’m immensely frustrated. The response is slow, people are still at risk. I think it’s not being taken seriously enough. If a lot of London Fire Brigade recommendations had been listened to about fitting sprinklers into buildings then situations would be very different.

“It is shocking how slow it has been. It is also shocking the amount of buildings which still have flammable cladding on them, with people living in them at risk.

"We lobby at every opportunity in every political arena to ... talk about building regulations, safety and the aspects we want to change. I find it absolutely horrifying that two years after Grenfell people don’t take it seriously. How can they not believe it could happen again?”

grenfell.jpg

The scene of the Grenfell fire in June 2017 (JEREMY SELWYN)
Asked about Prime Minister Theresa May’s response, she said: “I don’t think anyone in government has responded in a satisfactory manner. We need more to be done. We need for it to be taken seriously.”

A year ago, Dame Judith Hackitt’s review of building regulations was published and the Government promised to implement all of its recommendations and make fundamental changes.

But on the second anniversary of the Grenfell fire, survivors were again calling for homes to be made safe. Warnings were projected onto buildings, including one close to the destroyed tower, saying: “2 years after Grenfell, this block still has no sprinklers.”

There are 328 residential and publicly-owned buildings with Grenfell-style cladding, according to the latest government figures.

Ms Cotton, 50, who took on her £234,000-a-year role in January 2017, said her departure was timed “naturally” with a pension scheme in which firefighters retire after 30 years of service. She added: “It’s no cop-out ... it’s not an early retirement, I’m not quitting.”

Of the Grenfell Tower fire, she said: “There won’t be a day that goes by when my staff and I won’t remember the terrible events of that night. My firefighters put their lives on the line that night.”

A government spokeswoman said: “Public safety is paramount and within days of the Grenfell Tower fire a comprehensive Building Safety Programme was put in place to ensure that residents of high-rise blocks of flats are safe and feel safe, now and in the future.

“We have committed up to £600m to fund the removal and replacement of unsafe ACM cladding on high-rise social and private residential buildings.

“We have been clear that there are no more excuses and we expect buildings to be remediated as quickly as possible. We are backing local authorities to take enforcement action where building owners are refusing to remediate high-rise buildings with unsafe ACM cladding.”

Investigation into Grenfell fire ‘criminal offences’ unlikely to pass findings until 2021
Georgia Diebelius | 6 Mar 2019

sei_46416403-72ac.jpg

No charges are likely to be brought in the criminal investigation into the Grenfell Tower fire for at least the next two years.

The Metropolitan Police said it would be ‘wrong’ not to wait for the final report of the Grenfell Tower Inquiry, the second phase of which is unlikely to begin before the end of this year.

Seventy-two people died in the blaze in west London on June 14, 2017.

The officer heading the Met’s investigation into the fire acknowledged that the wait may be longer than some people had expected, but said police must ‘ensure all the available evidence is considered’.

Detective Superintendent Matt Bonner said: ‘We have always said our investigation will be thorough, exploring all reasonable lines of enquiry and examining all the available evidence.

‘While the Grenfell Tower Inquiry and the police investigation are independent of each other, our timelines are inextricably linked.

‘For our investigation to be considered thorough and complete, it must consider all relevant information and it would be wrong not to take into account evidence given to the public inquiry and its final report and findings.

‘We are in regular contact with the bereaved families and survivors as well as the wider community, and have informed them of our projected timeline for the investigation.

‘I know this is longer than some might have anticipated, but the police must ensure all the available evidence is considered before any file is submitted to the CPS.’

Scotland Yard said in a statement: ‘The publication of any final inquiry report will follow phase 2 hearings and so the Met’s assessment is that any file submission to the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) is unlikely to be sooner than the latter part of 2021.’

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/06/inve...offences-unlikely-pass-findings-2021-8842722/

Tory is as Tory does, cut corners and fuck the implications on the lives of real people.

This is what happens when aristocrats own the companies and write the laws.

And did that Building collapse? It was entirely on fire.........

Back