Look into actual user bases on Steam

I've only been a member since 2008 but I find it telling that even though I have 219 games in my library, I only own 4 out the top 25 games listed in that article. I guess I'm just not a PC player at heart. I just don't mind spending money on hardware. I already knew this though.

As for the 4 games, in order of total hours played...

Left4Dead2 308hr
GTA V 51hr
Skyrim 47hr
Half Life 2 18hr

That's a huge list. I think I've only played maybe 10 games on it and none in the top 10. Skyrim is the first. Then again, I'm new to PC gaming so maybe that's not surprising.

how the hell is Euro Truck Simulator bigger than New Vegas? 5,982,548 vs 5,222,533

This is total unique players. That means if you played a game for 5 minutes you count.

how the hell is Euro Truck Simulator bigger than New Vegas? 5,982,548 vs 5,222,533
This is total unique players. That means if you played a game for 5 minutes you count.
Yeah, these are not peak concurrent or monthly figures, Jefferz. This isn't about playtime, either. This is the overall unique user base for a game's history. That's how Valve has PUBG beat (twice!) on playerbase.

This article is freaking awesome, and the irony is that this loophole likely never would have been found if Valve hadn't dickishly shut down Steam Spy a few months ago because of Facebook's Cambridge Analytica malfeasance. I hope whatever system they're working on really will solve everyone's concerns: business-side and user-side.

I really expected PUBG to be bigger. Fortnite swallows it.

Last edited:
I wonder where DOTA 2 would be. It's never had achievements so it couldn't get tracked.

As someone who plays on steam a lot I can tell you these rankings arent accurate. Ive never seen team fortress as the top played game ever.

Pubg is almost always the most played game at any given time. Team fortress is somewhere in the top 4.

Ark survival Rust and garrys mod are always top 10, ark usually top 5

As someone who plays on steam a lot I can tell you these rankings arent accurate. Ive never seen team fortress as the top played game ever.

Pubg is almost always the most played game at any given time. Team fortress is somewhere in the top 4.

It's not most played at one time, it's the historical number of players for a game.

Team Fortress 2 is free and many of the other top games are too or they are very cheap, $20 or less. If you play it once for 1 hr you'd count as a unique player in a list like this.

It is 100% certain more people have given Team Fortress 2 a try over PUBG and I didn't need this leak to tell me that.

Wonder which games include the chinese player base since they only use steam for certain games

As pathetic as it sounds, I've sunk 500+ hours into Euro Truck bro (Another 300 into American Truck). That game is addictive as shit, and has a big community. Plus they're regularly releasing new content (Italy was the latest DLC, with a bit more of Eastern Europe coming up) and the modding scene is always adding new trucks and trailers and all kinds of shit. Loads of replay value.

The base game is also regularly on sale for like $3 or something so it probably gets a lot of impulse buys from people looking for something a little different or who heard good word of mouth

Last edited:
As pathetic as it sounds, I've sunk 500+ hours into Euro Truck bro (Another 300 into American Truck). That game is addictive as shit, and has a big community. Plus they're regularly releasing new content (Italy was the latest DLC, with a bit more of Eastern Europe coming up) and the modding scene is always adding new trucks and trailers and all kinds of shit. Loads of replay value.

The base game is also regularly on sale for like $3 or something so it probably gets a lot of impulse buys from people looking for something a little different or who heard good word of mouth
I might have to pick it up then.

These figures are irrefutably accurate. If you don't understand that, you don't understand the article.

Team Fortress 2 was released in 2007, not 2017. Put two and two together.

You didn’t read the article.

You didn’t read the article.

its true, I didn't read the article, but I get the point, but the player active player bases are much smaller than some of these numbers, that's all I was trying to say. It doesn't represent the order of what's being played the most today.

Last edited:
Back