Looking back at the first K-1 GP in 1993

jeremydalewall

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a review on my blog looking back at the first K-1 Grand Prix in 1993.

Leading up to Glory 18 on Saturday, I decided to go back and look at one of the most historically important kickboxing events in history. K-1 ran its first ever Grand Prix on April 30th, 1993, drawing an announced crowd of 12,000 to the Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo. It was K-1

I rewatched old K1 wgps every year around this time because twas the season. Im in the middle of rewatching the 93 gp. Really fun event and cool to see a super young aerts battle with an early career Hoost.

It was incredible. Aerts looked so young in the first GP. He was only 22, really just a kid. It's amazing to go back and watch these old events to see these guys in their prime.

Yeah def a fun watch if u need any help with writing up or reviewing any other early k1 gps hit me up with a pm. Ill be watching a bunch over the next month or so.

Peter aerts is my favorite kickboxer. I know all you lil guys will lol at that but whatevezz

Its pretty poetic how Branko won the tournament right after his country won a brutal war of independence.

Cikatic had one scary right hand.

I've finally chosen to fully embrace K-1 and am going through every K-1 GP Final on Fightpass. I knew Cikatic won this GP, but I had no idea how impressively he managed to do it, especially when he lamped Hoost with that right hand! The only other fights of his I'd seen were in Pride, so it was weird to see him do well at something.

Back