Looking for a supplemental instructional that takes white belt from A to Z.

The old Cesar Gracie sets are pretty good too

Renzo Gracie has an online course that has a new technique every day of the week and covers a theme, like mount week, or defending the pass. Good stuff. Like 10 bucks a month or pay for whole year. Also has takedowns, self defense, diet, mindset, no gi stuff and in the future hell have mma stuff too I guess. Good shit. I have a subscription and man it doesnt disappoint. Its alot of basics so far(just started in November 2017) but I have a feeling he cover advanced stuff as it evolves. Highly recommended.

I came in to say grapple arts / @Stephan Kesting and I LOVE the Brandon Mullen set. But as a white belt I would start with with BJJ Road map, the sub app. The sub defense app, and the sweeps app.

That's a ton of techniques, transitions, etc. to learn. And they are cheap, goes right on your phone / tablets for iPhone or android.

After that I would layer on the Mullens set, which is again is an amazing game plan DVD set.

Interesting. Would you say the Mullins set is good for comp-focused guys? And is it more of a white/blue belt set or will intermediate/experienced guys benefit as well?

Interesting. Would you say the Mullins set is good for comp-focused guys? And is it more of a white/blue belt set or will intermediate/experienced guys benefit as well?

i'll give u a little story if you don't mind

After like 15 years off and starting the Gi for the first time, I started with an article by Kesting called "16 moves ever white belt should know"

http://www.grapplearts.com/the-16-most-important-techniques-for-the-bjj-beginner/

I already knew many of the moves, but even then there were some really good tweaks. The day before each class I would lean a move and then try it out. When I got to move 3, the next day I went against a 22 year 6' 4" 220 LBS beast who had ripped me to pieces the last time we met (i am 47 years old and weigh 170 lb). I held him in the whizzer triangle, where he barley escaped with his life. He that "WTF just happened" look on his face after.

I then got the entire set that move 3 came from (the Brandon set) and learned all the grip fighting setups and triangle follow ups, from the bottom game / guard piece. In the next month I tapped numerous blue belts, a couple of purple belts, and even a brown belt with that series of grips to triangle. I also used the grip/ sweeps to win a competition.

Mind you I was still a white belt for all of this (albeit a very "sneaky" white belt. For example , I now have been back only just over a year but thanks to prior experience and really hard work, I am a hair away from getting my purple belt). And I cant get those guys nearly as much anymore, now that they have seen what I was doing.

I do a shit load of Kesting instructionals. So far since I have come back, I have covered the butterfly/X dvd, half guard dvd, single leg x master class, 7 days to better sweeps, Deephalf from his black belt class, the road map, sub, sub defense ap, sweep app, etc.

The most immediately applicable stuff with the least amount of debugging, came from the Brandon Bigger stronger set, specifically the bottom game/guard dvd.

I have heard podcasts where Kesting himself says that Brandon changed his way he looks at grappling and teaching.

Brandon' philosophy is to respond or launch something and then based on the reaction of the opponent "take what my opponent gives me"

Its counter to re counter strategy that converts really fast.

So yeah sorry for the rant, Brandon is a comp focused guy and his stuff is great.

If you want to derisk, just buy the bottom game app for your phone or tablette, rather than the entire DVD set. It will be like 20 bucks

Oh and @Stephan Kesting

i'll give u a little story if you don't mind

After like 15 years off and starting the Gi for the first time, I started with an article by Kesting called "16 moves ever white belt should know"

http://www.grapplearts.com/the-16-most-important-techniques-for-the-bjj-beginner/

I already knew many of the moves, but even then there were some really good tweaks. The day before each class I would lean a move and then try it out. When I got to move 3, the next day I went against a 22 year 6' 4" 220 LBS beast who had ripped me to pieces the last time we met (i am 47 years old and weigh 170 lb). I held him in the whizzer triangle, where he barley escaped with his life. He that "WTF just happened" look on his face after.

I then got the entire set that move 3 came from (the Brandon set) and learned all the grip fighting setups and triangle follow ups, from the bottom game / guard piece. In the next month I tapped numerous blue belts, a couple of purple belts, and even a brown belt with that series of grips to triangle. I also used the grip/ sweeps to win a competition.

Mind you I was still a white belt for all of this (albeit a very "sneaky" white belt. For example , I now have been back only just over a year but thanks to prior experience and really hard work, I am a hair away from getting my purple belt). And I cant get those guys nearly as much anymore, now that they have seen what I was doing.

I do a shit load of Kesting instructionals. So far since I have come back, I have covered the butterfly/X dvd, half guard dvd, single leg x master class, 7 days to better sweeps, Deephalf from his black belt class, the road map, sub, sub defense ap, sweep app, etc.

The most immediately applicable stuff with the least amount of debugging, came from the Brandon Bigger stronger set, specifically the bottom game/guard dvd.

I have heard podcasts where Kesting himself says that Brandon changed his way he looks at grappling and teaching.

Brandon' philosophy is to respond or launch something and then based on the reaction of the opponent "take what my opponent gives me"

Its counter to re counter strategy that converts really fast.

So yeah sorry for the rant, Brandon is a comp focused guy and his stuff is great.

If you want to derisk, just buy the bottom game app for your phone or tablette, rather than the entire DVD set. It will be like 20 bucks

Oh and @Stephan Kesting

Kesting's stuff looks really good. I am going to look into it. I like his analytical approach and he explains things very well. And he doesn't have broken English with a Brazilian accent.

Renzo Gracie has an online course that has a new technique every day of the week and covers a theme, like mount week, or defending the pass. Good stuff. Like 10 bucks a month or pay for whole year. Also has takedowns, self defense, diet, mindset, no gi stuff and in the future hell have mma stuff too I guess. Good shit. I have a subscription and man it doesnt disappoint. Its alot of basics so far(just started in November 2017) but I have a feeling he cover advanced stuff as it evolves. Highly recommended.
Will check it out! Thanks!! = )

For anyone who ever bought these on VHS!!!!!, just L O L O L O L.

Last month my first mma class in like 10 years and I did the hook shoulder pressure BJJ take down.

Afterwards I was like “you can’t let me do that, man, I learned that over 15 years ago on a copy of a copy of a Mario Sperry VHS tape”.

Nobody got the reference except my coach.

How Does That Takedown Work? Was That From His Vale Tudo Series?

How Does That Takedown Work? Was That From His Vale Tudo Series?

Yes its on his first tape/first series, I tried to find the clip where he teaches it but its not online. You can see it here however.

- Get both underhooks / close grip
- Pressure head against one side of his body, say his left shoulder/pec
- hook your leg around his opposite leg, say his right leg
- Pressure his shoulder/chest, pull leg, pull grip at his lower back
- BOOM, feeling a 1990s Brazilian boss-man as you beat down a karatake

He fights just like his instructionals.

Yes its on his first tape/first series, I tried to find the clip where he teaches it but its not online. You can see it here however.

- Get both underhooks / close grip
- Pressure head against one side of his body, say his left shoulder/pec
- hook your leg around his opposite leg, say his right leg
- Pressure his shoulder/chest, pull leg, pull grip at his lower back
- BOOM, feeling a 1990s Brazilian boss-man as you beat down a karatake

He fights just like his instructionals.

What a classic!
"he is moving towards a finishing hold!"

It's a book but Saulo's Jiu Jitsu University is gold.

I think his site has the sections for each film up now ( I could be wrong).

Back