Looking for an RPG

Check out Seven: The Days Long Gone
http://www.pcgamer.com/seven-days-long-gone-review/

PC Gamer gave it an 8.1, but I just just IGN's and their lazy 4 min style reviews, who gave it a 4 lol. It's funny because two of their staff were gushing over it last year (Video below). I can never understand how a site can be so inconsistent like they are, they're incredibly unprofessional. The reviewer, who has no perception beyond his skin, says you're dropped into a world blind, as though you're a purposeless in a shallow setting. It's absolutely ridiculous because the guys in the preview (again below) only played for a short time and raved, like I did, about how great the world building is.

I picked it up last night, I really like it. It's a great first effort for sure, very unique game. Apparently it has some former Witcher devs, but this is no Witcher, nor is Baldur's gate meets Witcher as the clowns below state. It's a fun action RPG, with a blend of mechanics, though it is top down. I like Isometric games, especially when I have full control over the camera.

As someone else said, Elex is great, excellent really and probably more up your alley. These are the guys who made the Gothic series, top notch roleplaying.

Here's a great review for it

I don't know. The mechanics look very clunky and robotic on Elex. Its why I never got into Two Worlds or Gothic games not just because the frame rates and resolution was bad on them but also the voice acting.

I don't know. The mechanics look very clunky and robotic on Elex. Its why I never got into Two Worlds or Gothic games not just because the frame rates and resolution was bad on them but also the voice acting.
My limited experience so far with Elex has been good. No frame rate issues. Graphics are a bit dated, but doesn't really bother me. Changing the targeting setting and using the target lock button makes the combat much much better.

My limited experience so far with Elex has been good. No frame rate issues. Graphics are a bit dated, but doesn't really bother me. Changing the targeting setting and using the target lock button makes the combat much much better.
I haven't really looked at the game much but is there any companions you can recruit.

On a side note, you ever tried an old PC game like 10 years ago called STALKER. It was very open world but it has no leveling system however it has a lot of role playing aspect. I only wish the russian company would continue the series because it was quite unique

lol what are you smoking? No mmo has combat as satisfying as KoA. Its more like God of War in an RPG.

I almost finished KoA and it’s boring as fuck, the combat is repetitive and everything it does has been done better by MMOs and proper RPGs.

There is a reason there was no sequel - it’s a mediocre game.

It is clunky, they are as infamous for that as much they are for world building and roleplaying lol

Elex is their best effort yet though, character control/combat wise. There are very few glitches/bugs too, which is something that plagued the Gothic series. Gothic 3 especially was a frustrating POS initially. From what I recall the publisher forced an early launch. I didn't play it until a few years after release thanks to theirs and some fan patches, but man the roleplaying was second to none.

I could type for hours, but I'll link a couple of videos that will give you more insight into the amazing worlds the devs built and why they are a special breed. Eelex continues their amazing tradition but with far better combat.

I almost finished KoA and it’s boring as fuck, the combat is repetitive and everything it does has been done better by MMOs and proper RPGs.

There is a reason there was no sequel - it’s a mediocre game.

Lmao name one MMO with better combat. I'll wait.

And what are all these amazing RPGs you reference? I can think of one with awesome combat: Dragons Dogma. And Dark Souls if that counts. Skyrim type combat was the standard back then and KoA came out and shit all over that.

Last edited:
I haven't really looked at the game much but is there any companions you can recruit.

On a side note, you ever tried an old PC game like 10 years ago called STALKER. It was very open world but it has no leveling system however it has a lot of role playing aspect. I only wish the russian company would continue the series because it was quite unique

There are companions. You only take one with you at a time and you don't really control them, though. It's not a party building game.

I have not played that.
Lmao name one MMO with better combat. I'll wait.

And what are all these amazing RPGs you reference? I can think of one with awesome combat: Dragons Dogma. And Dark Souls if that counts. Skyrim type combat was the standard back then and KoA came out and shit all over that.

I honestly think ESO's combat is more fun than KoA's. I quit ESO due to a combination of not having time, them switching to the freemium model, and them ruining their dungeon system with the scaled down speed runs. I really liked the dungeons originally, the PvP mechanics (even if it was unbalanced as fuck with vampires), and the combat.

I thought KoA was boring hack and slash and the world want interesting to me at all.

I really wish someone would make a spiritual successor to Dragon's Dogma if a sequel is never going to happen. That game is exactly what I'm looking for. Trash story, but awesome combat, good itemization, and serviceable party system. The way pawns learn enemies is cool, too. Just a great game overall. I need another.

Divinity is nuts but combat was frustrating for me

Divinity is nuts but combat was frustrating for me
I played Divinity 2 and liked it a lot for like 15 hours. I quit at some point where I was forced to play as a dragon and hated it. That part felt like a shitty fighter pilot game. I died like 5 times and quit.

Divinity Original Sin was awesome. I have the sequel, but haven't really gotten into it yet.

Oh also, I tried two worlds 2, Gothic 3, and Risen. Two Worlds 2 had the clunkiest most garbage combat ever. Gothic 3 was clunky and just felt really, really old by the time I played it. Risen's combat was serviceable, but it was not very user friendly in terms of having powerful enemies in starter zones, no quest log, no minimap etc. For a hardcore RPGer it is probably great, but I have a job and a young family now. I got no time for that much effort to get anything done in a game. Lol

I can say with certainty that Elex is better than those 3 games in the aspects that I've mentioned.

I'm trying to find an RPG along the lines of Dragon's Dogma, the Witcher series, or the Elder Scrolls games on PC. I'd also be ok with traditional action RPGs in the style of Diablo, Titan Quest/Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, etc.

I know people will recommend Souls games. I've played them for a few hours. I enjoy the combat but the lack of tooltips and direction isn't for me. It makes it very tedious imo and I find myself spending way more time googling things than I'd like.

I enjoy classic RPGs with turn based or tactical pause combat, but right now I want to have more engaging real time combat to enjoy smashing some bad guys. Dragon Age/Mass Effect style combat is about as slow paced and disconnected as I'd like to go.

I think Wolcen Lords of Mayhem looks really good, but I'm tired of playing unfinished early access games do I'm going to wait for a while on it.

Please, give me your suggestions.
Kingdoms of Amalur is a nice little game in that vein, I enjoyed my time with it. It's a few years old now but you can get it nice and cheap on Steam all the time.

If you haven't played Dragon Age: Origins then that sounds like it would be right up your alley as well.

oh, man. amalur had potential... but it was horribly, stupidly broken.

i was crafting damage reduction gear. i figured it was capped. it wasn't. i was immortal. it was dumb. the end.

I honestly think ESO's combat is more fun than KoA's. I quit ESO due to a combination of not having time, them switching to the freemium model, and them ruining their dungeon system with the scaled down speed runs. I really liked the dungeons originally, the PvP mechanics (even if it was unbalanced as fuck with vampires), and the combat.

I thought KoA was boring hack and slash and the world want interesting to me at all.

I really wish someone would make a spiritual successor to Dragon's Dogma if a sequel is never going to happen. That game is exactly what I'm looking for. Trash story, but awesome combat, good itemization, and serviceable party system. The way pawns learn enemies is cool, too. Just a great game overall. I need another.

I played ESO a few weeks ago when they were offering it for free. Lol cmon dude. It's nowhere near KoA. They took the same boring ass weapon swing from Skyrim except now it doesn't even feel like you are hitting an enemy. You're basically swinging at air while an enemy's health goes down and they don't even react to your attacks.

I played ESO a few weeks ago when they were offering it for free. Lol cmon dude. It's nowhere near KoA. They took the same boring ass weapon swing from Skyrim except now it doesn't even feel like you are hitting an enemy. You're basically swinging at air while an enemy's health goes down and they don't even react to your attacks.
You either didn't play much or didn't play well. Presumably you didn't play much because you only played a free weekend.

There are dodge rolls, timed blocks that stagger opponents, interrupts, light attacks, and charged heavy attacks. Combine that with 5 slotted abilities that do not have cooldown timers and you have combat far superior to Skyrim's.

I agree that the light attacks feel like they don't have any weight to them. However, if that is your whole opinion of the combat, then there is a lot that you didn't do.

Have you tried the Baldurs Gate series. I know its old, but quite honestly one of the better RPG series games ive ever played as far as having the best balance of storyline, combat strategy, interesting characters and free range to do whatever you like.

Its based on D&D, which i thought would make the game a bit complicated.

Probably the hands-down best non-turn-based RPGs i have ever played.

And if you get tired of playing it live that way, there is also an option to turn on an auto-pause, where it basically becomes turn-based if you so choose.

I HIGHLY recommend BG2:EE. Hundreds of hours of gameplay with a really good story and lots of personal choice.

I liked it so much that i am currently playing its rival at the time Planescape: Torment, but tbh am not liking it as much so far.....

Back