Looking for Programs templates I can leverage similar to Ross Enamait's

EMCTCalumni

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Ross Enamait, who I know sherdog people are familiar with. I got turned onto Ross maybe 5-7 years ago and have cycled through several variations of his 50 day infinite intensity and never gymless programs over the years (in between other programs). He is great but I just need something new and fresh to follow. As such, I'm looking for some other trainer website or book suggestions that I can steal or buy a complete 30-60 day template from (and make my own variations). Any suggestions?

These are the general components I liked about Ross's books:

1. Low Tech and minimalists - I have a pretty well equipped garage gym that I've collected over the years that includes; squat rack, pu bar, barbells, bumpers, dumbells, TRX trainer, slam balls, bands, etc. However, if I look at a program see some bodybuilding BS like leg curls or cable flys or smith machine, I'm going to completely discount that dude as an idiot bodybuilder.

2. Provides at least a 30-60 day template with an overall program that makes sense - not some randomized crossfit WOD website that either (a) has no rhyme or reason or (b) I've got to scroll back through tons of blog posts and try to piece together the 30 day cycle they are following.

3. Not built on a foundation of Olympic lifts - I love Olympic lifts and used to train with a legit USAW coach that trained Olympians (not crossfitters); however, due to my age and my degenerative disc in low back, I've really had to back off (no pun intended) from the pulls/lifts from the floor. Variations of RDL's (i.e. where I don't start on the floor) seem fine on my low back, but that pull from the floor can sometimes eff up my low back bad (no matter how good the form is or how many chiro visits I have). So if it's some crossfit based WOD that heavily emphasizes O'Lifts, I find myself having to do so many substitutions that it's not even worth following the programs.

And just read the FAQ's (since I don't spend much time on this forum) and I saw about 15 different recommended strength programs and then separately recommended conditioning programs, but didn't find anything as I described above with a nice well rounded 30-60 day template that includes both....I know there must be more out there than just Ross's templates (as great as they are).

i believe there are plenty of this 12-week-workouts on t-nation, men's health, bb.com etc.
with kettlebells, battleropes, sandbags...

they all tried to be functional at some point

the athlean-x guy sells templates like this and p90x is similar i think

i just remembered funk roberts who also sells templates like ross enamait

cheers

Last edited:
i believe there are plenty of this 12-week-workouts on t-nation, men's health, bb.com etc.
with kettlebells, battleropes, sandbags...

they all tried to be functional at some point

the athlean-x guy sells templates like this and p90x is similar i think

i just remembered funk roberts who also sells templates like ross enamait

cheers

T-nation and men's health still can't get off the old school bodybuilding routines or I have trouble sifting through all their stuff to find the decent strength and conditioning. LIke I just read what you wrote and googled and first thing I go to is a men's health article with a picture of some guy doing cable tricep extensions and then I read the routine and it includes dumbell lateral raises. I don't have time to be messing around with some freaking bentover dumbell lateral raises trying to get that pump going on my rear delt....lol! So many of these guys just got stuck in the 90s bodybuilding and have never made it out of the 90s...lol

I'm going to check out your Ahtlean-x guy and funk roberts. I don't mind dropping some money on a book or something but not sure I want to spend a lot of money on a template. Although might be worth a $100 to me to just send a guy a list of my garage gym loadout and have him give me a month worth of programming. I'd have to think about that but only if I knew the trainer was legit.

T-nation and men's health still can't get off the old school bodybuilding routines or I have trouble sifting through all their stuff to find the decent strength and conditioning. LIke I just read what you wrote and googled and first thing I go to is a men's health article with a picture of some guy doing cable tricep extensions and then I read the routine and it includes dumbell lateral raises. I don't have time to be messing around with some freaking bentover dumbell lateral raises trying to get that pump going on my rear delt....lol! So many of these guys just got stuck in the 90s bodybuilding and have never made it out of the 90s...lol

I'm going to check out your Ahtlean-x guy and funk roberts. I don't mind dropping some money on a book or something but not sure I want to spend a lot of money on a template. Although might be worth a $100 to me to just send a guy a list of my garage gym loadout and have him give me a month worth of programming. I'd have to think about that but only if I knew the trainer was legit.

you have to search for "functional" 12 week templates.
if you don't workout functional then you will be just huge with useless strength and muscle within no time.
you don't want that for your office job, do you?

funk roberts has tons of workouts on youtube, btw.

I'm a fan of Ross Enamait, who I know sherdog people are familiar with. I got turned onto Ross maybe 5-7 years ago and have cycled through several variations of his 50 day infinite intensity and never gymless programs over the years (in between other programs). He is great but I just need something new and fresh to follow. As such, I'm looking for some other trainer website or book suggestions that I can steal or buy a complete 30-60 day template from (and make my own variations). Any suggestions?

1. Low Tech and minimalists - I have a pretty well equipped garage gym that I've collected over the years that includes; squat rack, pu bar, barbells, bumpers, dumbells, TRX trainer, slam balls, bands, etc. However, if I look at a program see some bodybuilding BS like leg curls or cable flys or smith machine, I'm going to completely discount that dude as an idiot bodybuilder.

2. Provides at least a 30-60 day template with an overall program that makes sense - not some randomized crossfit WOD website that either (a) has no rhyme or reason or (b) I've got to scroll back through tons of blog posts and try to piece together the 30 day cycle they are following.

3. Not built on a foundation of Olympic lifts - I love Olympic lifts and used to train with a legit USAW coach that trained Olympians (not crossfitters); however, due to my age and my degenerative disc in low back, I've really had to back off (no pun intended) from the pulls/lifts from the floor. Variations of RDL's (i.e. where I don't start on the floor) seem fine on my low back, but that pull from the floor can sometimes eff up my low back bad (no matter how good the form is or how many chiro visits I have). So if it's some crossfit based WOD that heavily emphasizes O'Lifts, I find myself having to do so many substitutions that it's not even worth following the programs.
Ever tried joe defranco's programs?

1. I can do almost everything that's in his programs in my low tech garage gym.

2. Most programs are 12 weeks.

3. No Olympic lifts.

Tactical barbell.Buy the TB3rd edition and conditioning book. Ageless athlete is also good.

Tactical barbell.Buy the TB3rd edition and conditioning book. Ageless athlete is also good.

This. The conditioning book (TB2) has a list of workouts in the "Training Vault" chapter. They're categorized, aerobic anaerobic, work capacity etc. Can be used standalone, but they're meant to be used as part of a conditioning protocol (Green/Black). Works extremely well in combination with a TB or 531 strength template.

Ultimate MMA Conditioning is another one, but you'll need to do a bit of work putting the training together, it's not really a book of ready made templates. But if you're training for MMA it's second to none.

Pavel's got some minimalist strength programs in Beyond Bodybuilding, might be worth checking out too, but no conditioning or cardio.

Why not just take the workouts from Ross and just mix them up a little. From Ross's books he even says that the "work outs" are recommendations, at some point you can start to make up your own programs.

I must not be subscribed to this thread because I see I got some really good responses above that I hadn't been alerted to. Here's some other stuff I came up with on my own:

This article had some good leads on various programs:
https://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/01/05/fitness-program-right/

I liked this mountain tactical website guy in Wyoming who had a lot of programming and he even designed programs for guys ages 45-55 where he took out a lot of the bar loaded back squats and replaced with various lunges and other alternatives and took out traditional deadlifts for RDL's --both of which I've found are necessary substitutions due to my degenerative disc in low back.

What I ended up doing was just taking this guys template and making my own variation that I'm going to follow for 4-6 weeks:
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/tactical-physique-strength-conditioning-workout

His template was very similar to Ross Enamait's but with a little more emphasis on strength/bodybuilding versus conditioning (Enamait is in the business of training fighters).

Why not just take the workouts from Ross and just mix them up a little. From Ross's books he even says that the "work outs" are recommendations, at some point you can start to make up your own programs.
I been basically doing that off and on for a couple years now. You know how you sometimes just need something new to refresh even if it is someone else just mixing up ross's workouts...lol.

I been basically doing that off and on for a couple years now. You know how you sometimes just need something new to refresh even if it is someone else just mixing up ross's workouts...lol.
I understand where you're coming from but it's like I say about most "fitness magazines" there's only so many ways to "blast your chest" or "get abs that will make everyone jealous" before they are basically just reprinting the same things.

I'd mix up your equipment, sand bags, bands, something to get you out of your comfort zone. I'd also adjust things to what your goals are. Another option is go to sites like Spartan race, they have a WOD that is normally bodyweight based, it is usually running intense though. If you just hit up different websites and youtube groups you can find some decent stuff. Ross is big on the jump rope, Sarah Solomon has some good youtube jumprope heavy circuit training.

I understand where you're coming from but it's like I say about most "fitness magazines" there's only so many ways to "blast your chest" or "get abs that will make everyone jealous" before they are basically just reprinting the same things.

I'd mix up your equipment, sand bags, bands, something to get you out of your comfort zone. I'd also adjust things to what your goals are. Another option is go to sites like Spartan race, they have a WOD that is normally bodyweight based, it is usually running intense though. If you just hit up different websites and youtube groups you can find some decent stuff. Ross is big on the jump rope, Sarah Solomon has some good youtube jumprope heavy circuit training.

The equipment tip is a good one. I got some TRX straps for a deal on Facebook market place and made a landmine barbell station with my sons old shoe in corner of my garage. Those additions have been fun. Been back and forth on the sandbag thing. I really had to back off the straight up just lifting heavy things off the ground as it tends to aggravate my degenerative disc in low back (no matter how great my form is or light the weight is).

I found a couple more options here that I'm adding to this post because someone might like:

This is Eric Cressey's online program:
https://highperformancehandbook.com/?hop=ecressey

I think the Sherdog community would like Cressey's stuff. He's pretty well rounded guy really well versed in biomechanic movements and such. He may be a little more geared towards strength but you are going to get good well rounded programming as far as core power and functional movements.

Then there is this douche who always has his shirt off and has done some serious online marketing because almost every time I look up an exercise on youtube anymore his videos come near the top of the list:
https://athleanx.com/best-workout-program-for-men

If you can get past his douchy, check me out I'm a ripped 175lbs but look like a skinny :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: with a T-shirt on, attitude...well if you can get past all that, I actually think his programming may not be terrible for aesthetic purposes. Note I said "aesthetic" purposes. I'm not sure about this guy for any kind of serious fight training program. However, for an older guy like me that is just trying to not injure himself and maintain some muscle mass and look good, I might actually try this guy.

Last edited:
I must not be subscribed to this thread because I see I got some really good responses above that I hadn't been alerted to. Here's some other stuff I came up with on my own:

This article had some good leads on various programs:
https://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/01/05/fitness-program-right/

I liked this mountain tactical website guy in Wyoming who had a lot of programming and he even designed programs for guys ages 45-55 where he took out a lot of the bar loaded back squats and replaced with various lunges and other alternatives and took out traditional deadlifts for RDL's --both of which I've found are necessary substitutions due to my degenerative disc in low back.

What I ended up doing was just taking this guys template and making my own variation that I'm going to follow for 4-6 weeks:
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/tactical-physique-strength-conditioning-workout

His template was very similar to Ross Enamait's but with a little more emphasis on strength/bodybuilding versus conditioning (Enamait is in the business of training fighters).
I am a big fan of Mountain athlete/military athlete/mountain tactical. I think he charges $25 a month for access to all his plans. There are dozens of them. Shit use to be free!!

Back