looking to buy a new nice watch

316ef8861f8a9889ac48d321f8ffa7fb.jpg

My daily driver.

Now I'm wishing I had gotten the black dial with green crystal.

I've been looking around on ebay. there's one company but its in japan. says its a top seller on ebay. prices are around 500 cheaper then jomashop. would you consider this a reliable source or is to risky since its over seas.

There's a lot of sellers, so I'm not sure which one you're referring to. I can only go by own experiences when I was buying a Speedmaster. A few Japanese eBay sellers were consistently selling much cheaper than US-based sellers, and based on everything I read they seemed to be completely legit (why the Japanese sellers had cheaper Speedmasters was a common watch forum question). There's a chance you'll get hit with tax when you bring it into the country though, so you need to be aware of that. In the end I bought locally because a good deal came up, but prior to that I was comfortable enough to bid on a couple of the Japanese pieces.

Last edited:
I get it 6 g's for a watch sounds crazy. i'm in my late 40's and have reached a point wear I feel like I deserve something nice for once.. im buying a nice watch to make me feel good not as a status thing. if you can afford a BMW or audi why buy a KIA.

My father is the most utilitarian guy ever, never has anything branded, thought it was a waste of money when I bought my Tag years ago, you get the picture. When I bought my Speedmaster my girlfriend complained "you never buy anything nice for your father", and well she was right. So I bought another one for him as a present. He absolutely loves it. Wears it everywhere, loves it when people comment about it (it happens, all watch people know and like Speedmasters). The moral of the story: sometimes its just nice to have nice things.

I decided to treat myself to a watch this summer, and was hoping for some inspiration from the forum (ie: folks that are knowledgeable but not as over-the-top crazy as watch forum WIS tend to be).

I think I want to keep the price under USD$5k and my preference would be for something that is:

- tool-ish. I don't want a dress watch. I'm normally dressed casually and I want the watch to work both everyday and for the rare occasions that I dress up.
- not a diver. I wear an Orient Ray as my daily right now
- has an interesting story. Yes, I'm a sucker for marketing. Examples would be the Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Explorer I and Daytona etc.
- simple three hand. I would consider date if well integrated and chronograph if super, super clean.
- 36mm and slim preferred. Maybe would go up to 39mm depending on ratio of face to bezel etc.
- Japanese is OK, especially if paired with some significant mechanical innovation and/or interesting story

My candidates right now are:

Rolex Explorer I (probably a 14720 or 114720 from the 1990s or early 2000s)
exp%20114270_zpsjihpxtui.jpg

Doesn't get any more classic than that. Most people won't even notice you're wearing a Rolex. You've got the whole Everest thing for the rugged, tool aspect, but this one has enough upscale touches that it works in more formal settings too.

Tudor Ranger (90220 from the 1980s; hard to find genuine one though apparently)

2015-11-18%2013.41.37_zpsmf5wspfq.jpg

Tudor's version of the Explorer, only this went on the British North Greenland Expedition instead of to Everest. A little bit small (34mm IIRC). Unlike the Rolex, the numbers also have lume and not just the indices. The modern "Heritage" version looks too big and mis-proportioned to me.

IWC Mark XII (from the 1990s probably)

IWC_Mark_XII_Pilots_Watch_AS01473_A_grande.jpg

Based on one of the earliest pilot watches so super clear and easy to read at a glance. I seem to remember reading once upon a time that these came with movements from JLG or some other super expensive watchmaker. A Mark XII might be borderline too expensive. I'd consider a modern Mark XVIII which looks very similar and is easy to find, but for some reason IWC made the date window white on black and to me that throws off the balance/symmetry with the opposing 9.

I also like the Rolex Milgauss (especially with green glass) but that is probably too pricey for me.

As mentioned upthread, I also liked the IWC Ingenieur from the late 1990s/early 2000s but it's not a good value IMO.

Even though I like a clean, legible face, I'd consider a chronograph with tachymeter because I'm a car enthusiast. If it had racing connections, or a story about timing something significant that would make me even happier. (but the Speedy and Tag Carrera look a bit busy to me)

What else is out there?

Edit: All the examples I've posted are white on black, but I'm not married to that colour combination. It just turned out that way with the examples I chose. (e.g. I like the James Bond Omega Seamaster in blue a lot)

Last edited:
There's a lot of sellers, so I'm not sure which one you're referring to. I can only go by own experiences when I was buying a Speedmaster. A few Japanese eBay sellers were consistently selling much cheaper than US-based sellers, and based on everything I read they seemed to be completely legit (why the Japanese sellers had cheaper Speedmasters was a common watch forum question). There's a chance you'll get hit with tax when you bring it into the country though, so you need to be aware of that. In the end I bought locally because a good deal came up, but prior to that I was comfortable enough to bid on a couple of the Japanese pieces.
Do you know the name of a few good 2nd hand Japanese watch dealers? Interested.

bump. Could really use some ideas...
I know you said you thought it was too busy but based on the choices you mentioned I would go for the speedy pro hands down. There's your piece of history right there. Classic looking and to me a true grail watch.

My second pick out of your choices would be the explorer. Classic design. Very versatile imo. Throw it on a leather strap and it won't look out of place with a suit and tie. Throw it on the steel bracelet for that sporty look. Put it on a NATO strap for those outdoorsy adventures.

I decided to treat myself to a watch this summer, and was hoping for some inspiration from the forum (ie: folks that are knowledgeable but not as over-the-top crazy as watch forum WIS tend to be).

I think I want to keep the price under USD$5k and my preference would be for something that is:

- tool-ish. I don't want a dress watch. I'm normally dressed casually and I want the watch to work both everyday and for the rare occasions that I dress up.
- not a diver. I wear an Orient Ray as my daily right now
- has an interesting story. Yes, I'm a sucker for marketing. Examples would be the Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Explorer I and Daytona etc.
- simple three hand. I would consider date if well integrated and chronograph if super, super clean.
- 36mm and slim preferred. Maybe would go up to 39mm depending on ratio of face to bezel etc.
- Japanese is OK, especially if paired with some significant mechanical innovation and/or interesting story

My candidates right now are:

Rolex Explorer I (probably a 14720 or 114720 from the 1990s or early 2000s)
exp%20114270_zpsjihpxtui.jpg

Doesn't get any more classic than that. Most people won't even notice you're wearing a Rolex. You've got the whole Everest thing for the rugged, tool aspect, but this one has enough upscale touches that it works in more formal settings too.

Tudor Ranger (90220 from the 1980s; hard to find genuine one though apparently)

2015-11-18%2013.41.37_zpsmf5wspfq.jpg

Tudor's version of the Explorer, only this went on the British North Greenland Expedition instead of to Everest. A little bit small (34mm IIRC). Unlike the Rolex, the numbers also have lume and not just the indices. The modern "Heritage" version looks too big and mis-proportioned to me.

IWC Mark XII (from the 1990s probably)

IWC_Mark_XII_Pilots_Watch_AS01473_A_grande.jpg

Based on one of the earliest pilot watches so super clear and easy to read at a glance. I seem to remember reading once upon a time that these came with movements from JLG or some other super expensive watchmaker. A Mark XII might be borderline too expensive. I'd consider a modern Mark XVIII which looks very similar and is easy to find, but for some reason IWC made the date window white on black and to me that throws off the balance/symmetry with the opposing 9.

I also like the Rolex Milgauss (especially with green glass) but that is probably too pricey for me.

As mentioned upthread, I also liked the IWC Ingenieur from the late 1990s/early 2000s but it's not a good value IMO.

Even though I like a clean, legible face, I'd consider a chronograph with tachymeter because I'm a car enthusiast. If it had racing connections, or a story about timing something significant that would make me even happier. (but the Speedy and Tag Carrera look a bit busy to me)

What else is out there?

Edit: All the examples I've posted are white on black, but I'm not married to that colour combination. It just turned out that way with the examples I chose. (e.g. I like the James Bond Omega Seamaster in blue a lot)

Get the Rolex, it is a smarter investment and a very classy choice (as opposed to a daydate or something). The only weakness is the shitty clasp/bracelet .

Have you considered Nomos's new Club Atlantik or Ahoi? I really love Nomos, it is such an authentic brand, and likely to become a heavy hitter of the future.

That is really clean! Thanks for the tip.

1156096d1437824704-nomos-ahoi-atlantik-datum-04nomos-schraeg.jpg

Get the Rolex, it is a smarter investment and a very classy choice (as opposed to a daydate or something). The only weakness is the shitty clasp/bracelet .

Have you considered Nomos's new Club Atlantik or Ahoi? I really love Nomos, it is such an authentic brand, and likely to become a heavy hitter of the future.

That is really clean! Thanks for the tip.

1156096d1437824704-nomos-ahoi-atlantik-datum-04nomos-schraeg.jpg

Bonus being waterproof to 200m, comes in 36mm or 40mm, fully in house caliber with decent decorations (blue screws, ec). Also Nomos isn't part of a conglomerate and is still a private company.

Rolex has the presitge and resale value though.

Tip: Buying this won't make you feel any better about yourself or your life, and no one will perceive you any differently.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The Explorer looks like a good contender (and I fully intend to get a Speedy someday; hard to beat the value there).

This exercise reminded me of when I had just graduated school and wanted to buy a Bell & Ross Type Demineur wayyyyy back near when they first came out on the market and thought that USD$500 (or however much they cost) was a huge amount to pay for a watch. I didn't like the styling, but the idea of a watch commissioned for a bomb disposal squad really captured my imagination. After all, who has a more critical need to know the time quickly and accurately haha?!

@JonKunDo I don't know why anyone else would buy a watch, but for me personally it has nothing to do with self esteem or showing off. It's more like wanting to own an object of beauty that is not only artfully designed and finished, but also exhibits precision engineering and craftsmanship.

I think that's why many people who like watches end up as collectors. Don't forget, it's tough to show off something that is almost always hidden by your shirt sleeve!

Don't you own anything just because you admire it and not because it is utilitarian?

Bonus being waterproof to 200m, comes in 36mm or 40mm, fully in house caliber with decent decorations (blue screws, ec). Also Nomos isn't part of a conglomerate and is still a private company.

Rolex has the presitge and resale value though.

Ah, I didn't know Nomos made smaller watch faces/cases. The only ones I've ever seen in real life look large to me.

I like Nomos and the idea of the German brands, but I've never liked their styling.

For Nomos, I find the font they use for the numbers to be too skinny or narrow. And the designs of both the faces and the cases is too pure and geometrical for my taste (I don't have the vocabulary to express exactly what I mean).

Steinhart looks a bit too no-nonsense, and Sinn looks exactly how you'd imagine watches designed by stereotypical Germans would look haha.

I think in this range I'd rather go Japanese. The Seiko SARG011 looks really well built to me:

IMG_2159_zpswwjkcx9h.jpg

The problem is it might be far too big for my wrist; I won't have a chance to see one until late summer. I think it needs more bezel to be balanced. That, and I'm not crazy about the font they used for the numerals.

Last edited:
Chrono-Blue-Angle.jpg

I'd change the strap but I've been makin' eyes at this one for a while.

Ah, I didn't know Nomos made smaller watch faces/cases. The only ones I've ever seen in real life look large to me.

I like Nomos and the idea of the German brands, but I've never liked their styling.

For Nomos, I find the font they use for the numbers to be too skinny or narrow. And the designs of both the faces and the cases is too pure and geometrical for my taste (I don't have the vocabulary to express exactly what I mean).

Steinhart looks a bit too no-nonsense, and Sinn looks exactly how you'd imagine watches designed by stereotypical Germans would look haha.

I think in this range I'd rather go Japanese. The Seiko SARG011 looks really well built to me:

IMG_2159_zpswwjkcx9h.jpg

The problem is it might be far too big for my wrist; I won't have a chance to see one until late summer. I think it needs more bezel to be balanced. That, and I'm not crazy about the font they used for the numerals.

What is your price range?

I would go with a

hello-kitty-watches-011.jpg

Low cost, energy efficient, waterproof and nearly indestructible

4ac2268ffd68974e79a5e2b59c1c7931.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The Explorer looks like a good contender (and I fully intend to get a Speedy someday; hard to beat the value there).

This exercise reminded me of when I had just graduated school and wanted to buy a Bell & Ross Type Demineur wayyyyy back near when they first came out on the market and thought that USD$500 (or however much they cost) was a huge amount to pay for a watch. I didn't like the styling, but the idea of a watch commissioned for a bomb disposal squad really captured my imagination. After all, who has a more critical need to know the time quickly and accurately haha?!

@JonKunDo I don't know why anyone else would buy a watch, but for me personally it has nothing to do with self esteem or showing off. It's more like wanting to own an object of beauty that is not only artfully designed and finished, but also exhibits precision engineering and craftsmanship.

I think that's why many people who like watches end up as collectors. Don't forget, it's tough to show off something that is almost always hidden by your shirt sleeve!

Don't you own anything just because you admire it and not because it is utilitarian?

Umm, not really tbh. I've never thought about it before, but now you mention it; looking around my flat I don't own anything ornamental, or particularly valuable no.. I do buy more expensive items if I believe they perform better like a macbook or whatever rather than a crappy laptop etc, but definitely don't collect things just to possess them.

Not having a go or anything or trying to be a dick; but if you think that 80%+ of the cost of that watch doesn't go into marketing then you're crazy. The money you're spending isn't buying a far superior product, it's buying the idea that it's going to make you happy; that's what you're paying for, and it won't do. It's a con.

Back