looking to buy a new nice watch

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The Explorer looks like a good contender (and I fully intend to get a Speedy someday; hard to beat the value there).

This exercise reminded me of when I had just graduated school and wanted to buy a Bell & Ross Type Demineur wayyyyy back near when they first came out on the market and thought that USD$500 (or however much they cost) was a huge amount to pay for a watch. I didn't like the styling, but the idea of a watch commissioned for a bomb disposal squad really captured my imagination. After all, who has a more critical need to know the time quickly and accurately haha?!

@JonKunDo I don't know why anyone else would buy a watch, but for me personally it has nothing to do with self esteem or showing off. It's more like wanting to own an object of beauty that is not only artfully designed and finished, but also exhibits precision engineering and craftsmanship.

I think that's why many people who like watches end up as collectors. Don't forget, it's tough to show off something that is almost always hidden by your shirt sleeve!

Don't you own anything just because you admire it and not because it is utilitarian?
I recommend that you set a price and don't move it.

The explorer is a nice watch, especially the new one with the lumed numbers and longer hands.

The biggest issue that I have with the explorer is that it lacks date.

Also, something to consider is that it's a no nonsense watch and that if you wear one, you could better get one with a timed bezel for example, I don't believe that other kinds of watches (chronograph, eg) offer the same plain functionality, just aesthetics.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Now that Tudor makes an in-house, COSC certified caliber with a 70hr power reserve, why would anyone buy another sub-$5K sports watch? I'm currently saving for one of the new 2017 steel bezel Black Bay divers.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Now that Tudor makes an in-house, COSC certified caliber with a 70hr power reserve, why would anyone buy another sub-$5K sports watch? I'm currently saving for one of the new 2017 steel bezel Black Bay divers.
I like the pelagos

What is your price range?

I'd like to keep things under about USD$4k

Edit: I brought up the Seiko because you mentioned the Nomos. Most of the German watches I've seen are in the $500-1000 range right?

Last edited:
Not having a go or anything or trying to be a dick; but if you think that 80%+ of the cost of that watch doesn't go into marketing then you're crazy. The money you're spending isn't buying a far superior product, it's buying the idea that it's going to make you happy; that's what you're paying for, and it won't do. It's a con.

Oh I totally agree that marketing is the main driver. That's why I said I'm interested in watches with an interesting marketing story!

It isn't disimilar to any luxury good though. After all, diamonds don't sell for extraction cost do they? I'd like to see you sell a fiancee on a functionally superior moissanite ring; can be done, but not for most women.

And we are (or at least I am) still talking about pretty reasonable sums of money here. I'd for sure be nervous about wearing the price of a car on my wrist, but $2-4k is still in the range of an engagement ring, and people wear those all over the place.

Sometimes it's just nice to own something you like. What would the alternative be? Keeping money in the bank? I don't see that a pile of dollar bills would give me any more pleasure than a toy I can enjoy.

(and before you get the wrong idea, I'm still wearing clothes from twenty years ago, I live in half the house I could afford and my car is closing on fifteen years old...)

Oh I totally agree that marketing is the main driver. That's why I said I'm interested in watches with an interesting marketing story!

It isn't disimilar to any luxury good though. After all, diamonds don't sell for extraction cost do they? I'd like to see you sell a fiancee on a functionally superior moissanite ring; can be done, but not for most women.

And we are (or at least I am) still talking about pretty reasonable sums of money here. I'd for sure be nervous about wearing the price of a car on my wrist, but $2-4k is still in the range of an engagement ring, and people wear those all over the place.

Sometimes it's just nice to own something you like. What would the alternative be? Keeping money in the bank? I don't see that a pile of dollar bills would give me any more pleasure than a toy I can enjoy.

(and before you get the wrong idea, I'm still wearing clothes from twenty years ago, I live in half the house I could afford and my car is closing on fifteen years old...)

Don't get me started on diamonds brother; how the hell de Beers convinced people that they need to keep sending poor people down mineshafts to retrieve compressed carbon which can be made cheaply in factories.. but, you know.. that's women, and we know better than that riiiight? ;)

Hey, if it's a super insignificant amount of money to you then that's a bit different I guess, but the fact that you made a thread about it gave me the idea that it was a significant investment to you.. I spent $200 on a watch last month and I spent about 2 weeks without one agonising over whether it was worth getting my old one fixed which I'd had for 15 years and cost less than that haha. Not that I'm poor or anything, it's just the principle of being unnecessarily decadent makes me uncomfortable. Maybe it's a cultural thing, dunno..

I have this Tag...was only a few K from what I remember...I was thinking about switching things up and getting a black leather strap for it...

2034921_fpx.jpg

vacheron-constantin-patrimony-automatic.jpg

Bold but restrained

I've started to develop a interest in watches lately. Esquire magazine and men's journal frequently write articles and have advertisements on/for various watches. Honestly , I think watches are the only type of jewelry that men can pull off. I had friends who were musicians that wore rings bracelets and necklaces but I just don't think those would look good on me.I'm frugal though and probably wouldn't feel comfortable spending too much on a watch. I also rarely dress get dressed up.Does anyone know of a good watch that is ment for more casual wear and a active lifestyle that goes for $ 200 or less?

I've started to develop a interest in watches lately. Esquire magazine and men's journal frequently write articles and have advertisements on/for various watches. Honestly , I think watches are the only type of jewelry that men can pull off. I had friends who were musicians that wore rings bracelets and necklaces but I just don't think those would look good on me.I'm frugal though and probably wouldn't feel comfortable spending too much on a watch. I also rarely dress get dressed up.Does anyone know of a good watch that is ment for more casual wear and a active lifestyle that goes for $ 200 or less?

Depending on your definition of casual wear and active lifestyle, you can get a Timex expedition, a quartz tissot, a Seiko monster (ugly as fuck, but as in "a face only a parent can love"), Casio diver watch, Suunto, etc

I like Nixon watches. Nice mix of digital and analogue.
http://www.nixon.com/au/en/mens-watches

Currently have these two in my rotation. This one for work (I am a builder so need something that will survive or can read in dark spaces so digital readout with backlight helps)
A158-000-view1.jpg

This one for casual but in silver finish
A450-1041-view1.jpg

I'd like to keep things under about USD$4k

Edit: I brought up the Seiko because you mentioned the Nomos. Most of the German watches I've seen are in the $500-1000 range right?

Nomos is above $1000 but a steal on the secondhand market (and objectively modestly priced considering their quality).

Obviously German companies like Lang are priced at a Patek level.

I find most Glashutte companies to be overall at a higher quality compared to the Swiss market as a whole. I think Nomos is he's sand shoulders above most Seiko's unless you throw Grand Seiko I to the mix.

Rolex has the presitge and resale value though.

Let me ask you one more thing... I find that a lot of watches sell around the same price for a particular model, even if it was made for a long time. To me, that suggests that I am better off buying the newest one I find for a particular budget. Is that right?

Let me ask you one more thing... I find that a lot of watches sell around the same price for a particular model, even if it was made for a long time. To me, that suggests that I am better off buying the newest one I find for a particular budget. Is that right?

Depends on how the watch was treated. For example. A Rolex submariner from 1991 could be in better condition than one from 2005 if the former had been serviced frequently and cared for. but generally newer ones are in better condition. I would ask for a service history and ask about the condition of the movement. (I'm assuming you're buying second hand).

Yeah, but who, outside of guys from New Jersey, wears a bracelet?

Watches are better.
It really depends on the style and the clothes the man wears. I'm a classic dude, I wear a bracelet, a slim vintage watch and a chain with a pendent that it's only visible when I'm shirtless. Just like this guy here:

918fcecc889c28d74985f103167c2e25.jpg

Look at Citizen Ecodrives.

Horse shit. In a business environment, a nice watch is indicative of a gentleman who not only has style and taste, but is effective enough at his craft to be able to afford such luxuries.

Tip: Buying this won't make you feel any better about yourself or your life, and no one will perceive you any differently.

Depends on how the watch was treated. For example. A Rolex submariner from 1991 could be in better condition than one from 2005 if the former had been serviced frequently and cared for. but generally newer ones are in better condition. I would ask for a service history and ask about the condition of the movement. (I'm assuming you're buying second hand).

Yes second-hand. If I go Explorer, then likely with box and papers and seldom worn at a vintage/pre-owned dealer so I can see and try on in person. Something like:

https://alexpig.com/collections/rol...270-black-swiss-made-dial-with-box-and-papers

No idea whether I should actually care about the box and papers (which I am likely to lose anyway) but the cost differential seems negligible in most cases so what the hell.

I always thought that it was better not to have a watch serviced too often? I vaguely remember seeing people talk about too much polishing or getting scratches on the lugs and so on. I can totally see the value of making sure seals are still flexible etc though. I'm personally not bothered too much by watch regulation because I don't have a watch winder or anything so I end up having to reset the time two or three times a week anyways.

I can't stand something attached to my wrist like that .!

Back