Lose fat first or gain muscle 1st?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Im overweight (20% bodyfat)

I need to loose some fat.

But even though im overweight id like to add some muscle to areas of my body like my calves.

Should I build that muscle now while im in a calorie surpless?

Or should I loose fat 1st then try to build muscle?

Or should I try to strike a compromise somehow?

Why should I do it that way?

Last edited:
i would neither bulk nor cut.

establish good eating patterns and follow them 365 days a year.
many coaches recommend a deficit with an upped protein intake for a positive nitrogen balance if you wanna lose fat and keep/gain muscle.
you can cheat sometimes but not binge drink on weekends and expect good results in terms of recomposition.

just pick a proven lifting routine with a focus on progressive overload and watch your protein intake.
people think they need fast resuslts and go to extremes which will only end in 2 steps forward and 1 back.

if you wanna look like the guy in your avatar, you should also consider steroids and putting socks into your speedos.

I would cut first, so you can have a clear idea of how your body really looks, how everything is proportionate or not etc.. Then you'll be able to bulk and adapt your training according to your goals.

Bulking while you can't see how your muscles really are is a bad idea (if aesthetics, dressed or naked is your goal)

I would cut first, so you can have a clear idea of how your body really looks, how everything is proportionate or not etc.. Then you'll be able to bulk and adapt your training according to your goals.

Bulking while you can't see how your muscles really are is a bad idea (if aesthetics, dressed or naked is your goal)

Thankyou, you really know your stuff.

At the moment I eat a fair amount of crap biscuits takeaways chocolate bars etc

I was thinking of eating as much as I feel like so long as its healthy whole food and lifting weights

Do you think thats a good idea or a bad idea?

I would neither be on a bulk or a cut /deficit, id just be eating clean food when im hungry and working out with weights

Is that a good idea I was thinking of doing a mix of both a cut and bulk.

Or is it a dumb idea that wont get me any gains in any direction much at all?

Is a calorie cut a strict count and reduce by 500 everyday the only way to go?

-------------------

Also I was thinking about staying on my crap diet and getting to the right size in my calves and a few other lagging areas before I cut, the idea being that with muscle memory after the cut I will be able to get better amounts of muscle back than if I didnt have the muscle memory and had to start building my calves from scratch without a big steady calorie surplus like I have now.

Also im only 20 pc body fat and fairly tall so I can see how I look without needing low bf % also calves etc are not covered in fat

Lose the weight through dieting (correctly), and prepare your body for the bulk-up routine by stretching.

i would neither bulk nor cut.

establish good eating patterns and follow them 365 days a year.
many coaches recommend a deficit with an upped protein intake for a positive nitrogen balance if you wanna lose fat and keep/gain muscle.
you can cheat sometimes but not binge drink on weekends and expect good results in terms of recomposition.

just pick a proven lifting routine with a focus on progressive overload and watch your protein intake.
people think they need fast resuslts and go to extremes which will only end in 2 steps forward and 1 back.

if you wanna look like the guy in your avatar, you should also consider steroids and putting socks into your speedos.

I would recommend PMMA injections and a good pump, for that real monster OMG I cannot fit my hands round it. Plus HGH and EPO on top of the steroids

Thankyou, you really know your stuff.

At the moment I eat a fair amount of crap biscuits takeaways chocolate bars etc

I was thinking of eating as much as I feel like so long as its healthy whole food and lifting weights

Do you think thats a good idea or a bad idea?

I would neither be on a bulk or a cut /deficit, id just be eating clean food when im hungry and working out with weights

Is that a good idea I was thinking of doing a mix of both a cut and bulk.

Or is it a dumb idea that wont get me any gains in any direction much at all?

Is a calorie cut a strict count and reduce by 500 everyday the only way to go?

-------------------

Also I was thinking about staying on my crap diet and getting to the right size in my calves and a few other lagging areas before I cut, the idea being that with muscle memory after the cut I will be able to get better amounts of muscle back than if I didnt have the muscle memory and had to start building my calves from scratch without a big steady calorie surplus like I have now.

Also im only 20 pc body fat and fairly tall so I can see how I look without needing low bf % also calves etc are not covered in fat

Get off the crap diet, burn some fat with cardio (running, cycling etc..) and resistance training (squats + lunges, pull ups, bench press, abs workout) and include more vegetables (broccolis, lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, carrots etc..) in your plate (get rid of cheese, junk food and fat products), you can eat rice (whole grains if you can), pastas, potatos, beans etc.. during meals (don't starve yourself)

Download an app like strava, and try to burn at least 500 cals in your daily activities (running, cycling), at least 5x/week (rest is also important)

Do your ab workout on mon, wed, friday, sunday, tuesday, thursday, saturday etc..

Do this for 3/6 month, you'll have great results.

THEN, once you SEE how much pecs, back, abs, quads etc.. muscles you actually have, you'll start growing each muscle group depending on your aesthetic goal.

That's imo the best strategy.

I don't see why you can't do both. To lose fat you're going to cut down carbs and eliminate sugar while adding protein and veggies. None of that is in contradiction with gaining muscle.

Why not both?
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Back